C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnosing play in driveshaft coupler

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 11:34 AM
Geno94
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Diagnosing play in driveshaft coupler

I get a light click or clunk on accel-decel (tapping the gas pedal) coming from the driveline on my '99 6 speed. I also hear it on normal shifts when first letting out the clutch in each gear. I jacked up the car (safely of course) and with the car in first and applying pressure on one tire forward and backword, I get about 1 inch of rotation total measured at the tread. I can hear and feel a noise putting my hand on the driveshaft tube right in front of the transmission. The car shows 34000 miles. 1 inch of play doesn't seem like a lot compared to cars in general. How common is the failure of these couplers? I've only owned the car about a month so I don't know what's normal. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:40 PM
HP_Addict
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Couplers and bearings are known to fail, but usually under extreme conditions. Has the car been raced any? The only way to know for sure is to pull the torque tube. Also if it is the coupler going bad, you should get some terrible vibration in the drivetrain.
Good luck.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:06 PM
Geno94
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Possible driveshaft problem

I purchased the car used with two previous owners so I don't really know its history or if it might have been abused. It is completely stock, no mods, and doesn't seem to have any vibration in the driveline. What I have may be just the normal amount of play. I just don't know.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:35 PM
e_max9
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunk

Originally Posted by Geno94
I purchased the car used with two previous owners so I don't really know its history or if it might have been abused. It is completely stock, no mods, and doesn't seem to have any vibration in the driveline. What I have may be just the normal amount of play. I just don't know.

I have the same clunk, 99 FRC, 6spd, 14K miles. Started 500 miles ago. Lubed the splines, no difference, Its coming from the front of the trans, so I assume it has to be a u-joint or coupler. I need a shop manual to see the assembly. No abuse, just one day it started clunking (on/off throttle including shifts), totally annoying.

Any thoughts???
Old 10-22-2005, 04:50 PM
6SPD98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18- '19

Default Noise

[e_max9]I have the same clunk, 99 FRC, 6spd, 14K miles. Started 500 miles ago. Lubed the splines, no difference, Its coming from the front of the trans, so I assume it has to be a u-joint or coupler. I need a shop manual to see the assembly. No abuse, just one day it started clunking (on/off throttle including shifts), totally annoying.
Any thoughts???
________________________________________ ____________________

It's probably because you don't drive it enough. Only kidding, I have a 98 6speed with 117,000 miles. I believe in 2000 or 2001 they changed the torque tube to make it stronger. Please post the answer when you find it.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:50 AM
turboc5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

01 they changed the torque tube. my 00 frc has the old style. The drive shaft doesnt use metal u joints loke a tipical rwd car. they use rubber flex discs.(see my vette pix) GM uses them because they dont need much movement and they run smoother. when they go bad they won't clunk. they will vibrate, especally at higher rpm's. soposedly what tears them up is sustained high rpm. the weak drive shaft starts to bend and whip and destroy the flex discs. Just for safe insurince i would check the trans and diff fluid level. its common for them to leak and he might of just cleaned it all off just to sell it. if its low the gear clash will be more audible.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:42 AM
MRCoupe2002
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '02 coupe and two days ago mine started making a "click" sound when the clutch starts to engage from a stand still. It also does it if I am rolling in 1st as I go from giving it just a little gas to none at all. The sounds is barely audible from inside or outside the vehicle.

Does anyone have any more clues as to what this might be?

Get notified of new replies

To Diagnosing play in driveshaft coupler

Quick Reply: Diagnosing play in driveshaft coupler