C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I go headers or cat-back exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 02:34 AM
trist007
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I go headers or cat-back exhaust?

Can someone please explain how each works? Can I put both of them on? How much do they run? How much hp do they add? Do they void warranty? Thanks alot.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:17 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Headers replace your exhaust manifolds and are much more efficient and let exhaust gases flow much freeier, smoother, and faster. They are the very first part of your exhaust system starting at the engine block....
A header install typically will replace everything from the block back to and many times including the cats and sometime doing away with the cats all together. Many headers systems also replace the OEM "H" pipe with a nice "X" pipe.

Cat-Back Exhaust systems as they are commonly called replace the exhaust system where a typical header system install leaves off. From the Cats → back, to the rear of the car. These systems will typically replace the stock OEM "H" pipe and the pipes over the axle, the mufflers and lastly the exhaust tips. The mufflers are usually the part that makes a cat back system, changing the sound and look of the exhaust at the rear of the car....

As you see, both systems will typically but not always include the replacement of the OEM "H" pipe which can be redundant so you make the choice when doing these jobs.
ie: If buying LG headers for instance, you could buy the entire setup which includes the "X" pipe, then if buying a Cat Back systemn at the same time or at a later time, buy ONLY the cat back and NOT the X-pipe...

You CAN do both as many do, including myself.
I have LG headers, X-pipe, random Tech hi flow cats and then a Corsa Pace Car catback exhaust system at the rear of the car....

How much do they run.... Depends on what you buy
Mine:
LG headers, x-pipe, intermediate pipes and hi flow cats, $1745
Corsa Pace Car exhaust with PRO tips, $650
Old 10-15-2005, 07:23 AM
Smoke-N-Shot
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

This depends what you are looking for.. Possible start with the exhaust and change the sound of your exhaust.... Headers will give your more performance and do that if that is ultimitely looking to do...
Old 10-15-2005, 07:29 AM
Smoke-N-Shot
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

This depends what you are looking for.. Possibly start with the exhaust and change the sound of your vette.... Headers will give your more performance and do that if that is ultimitely looking to do...
Old 10-15-2005, 08:08 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by trist007
..................................... Do they void warranty? Thanks alot.
I have to plead the 5th on that one.............
Old 10-15-2005, 08:38 AM
Morzoff
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glennm27
Headers replace your exhaust manifolds and are much more efficient and let exhaust gases flow much freeier, smoother, and faster. They are the very first part of your exhaust system starting at the engine block....
A header install typically will replace everything from the block back to and many times including the cats and sometime doing away with the cats all together. Many headers systems also replace the OEM "H" pipe with a nice "X" pipe.

Cat-Back Exhaust systems as they are commonly called replace the exhaust system where a typical header system install leaves off. From the Cats → back, to the rear of the car. These systems will typically replace the stock OEM "H" pipe and the pipes over the axle, the mufflers and lastly the exhaust tips. The mufflers are usually the part that makes a cat back system, changing the sound and look of the exhaust at the rear of the car....

As you see, both systems will typically but not always include the replacement of the OEM "H" pipe which can be redundant so you make the choice when doing these jobs.
ie: If buying LG headers for instance, you could buy the entire setup which includes the "X" pipe, then if buying a Cat Back systemn at the same time or at a later time, buy ONLY the cat back and NOT the X-pipe...

You CAN do both as many do, including myself.
I have LG headers, X-pipe, random Tech hi flow cats and then a Corsa Pace Car catback exhaust system at the rear of the car....

How much do they run.... Depends on what you buy
Mine:
LG headers, x-pipe, intermediate pipes and hi flow cats, $1745
Corsa Pace Car exhaust with PRO tips, $650

Nice write up
I would go headers
Old 10-15-2005, 09:42 AM
trist007
Intermediate

Yeah, I'm going headers. Now do headers void the warranty?
Old 10-15-2005, 09:59 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

That one, you'd have to talk to your dealer and dealers technician.

A good Tech would say no to your question above, some not so knowledgeable techs might differ...

One thing I have heard, if the headers have nothing to do with the warranty problem in question, then they will not void the warranty. AND headers are not going to do anything to your car to cause a failure. Therefore a good technician will prove the headers were not to blame, so your warranty is valid.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:12 AM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

headers will void your warranty on the exhaust manifolds

seriously, they won't void your warranty on anything that is not related to the exhaust system and even then a dealer would have to get stupid to not warranty a cat. Really a cat or muffler is the only thing that would be affected and you are not going to hurt either with headers. If you burn up a cat your a/f ratio is way off and the headers have nothing to do with the.

your gains by just headers alone will be limited by not having the catback. the catback though, will mainly change the sound and not give you and real hp (except at high rpm's)

And while we are talking limitations...to get the real increase from the headers & catback you should change your air intake system to get the full benefit. air intake, headers, catback should give you about 40 hp and that's something you can feel.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:02 AM
dfe1
Advanced

Default Header horsepower

I installed Melrose headers with Random Tech cats/x-pipe and exhaust and I picked up 38 hp at the wheels. Car now makes as much power as a Z06, and that's with nothing but bolt-ons. The valve covers have never been off.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:01 PM
trist007
Intermediate

Ah cool. Nice to know that it doesn't affect the engine warranty. Aye, I already have the blackwing installed. I love it. I really feel the power at night and in the morning since my daily temperatures range in the 90s. That's why I've been thinking about getting an Icebox for my Blackwing, but I can't find an IceBox specifically for a C5 2002 6spd vette that has a Blackwing. Another thing I've heard is that you can get leaks from the headers. I live in Laredo, TX, and there is not much for muffler shops except the cheap labor muffler shops. I got flowmasters installed at that shop once on my suburban back in the mid 90s. But for a corvette, I'd rather let a professional handle my car. San Antonio, TX is close by. I'll probably look for a shop there. I mean that would suck if you start getting a leak.

Also heard that Borla headers are the once to get. Which brand do you guys prefer? Just looking for bang/buck.

Oh one more thing. How much did labor cost to install headers, x-pipe, and high flow cat? Lastly, did they have to move anything around to make the headers fit?

Last edited by trist007; 10-15-2005 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Why not DIY? Unless you don't have the skilz, of course. Install price would depend on the shop you go to, and the time it takes them. I've done a complete exhaust swap in a little under 4 hours, and I know what I'm doing.
GL with your choices!
MAC
Old 10-15-2005, 04:11 PM
C5COM67
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just finished installing Dynatech w/cats on existing Borla Stingers.

Without starting another header war , I believe you will find that LG (made by Borla) Kooks, and Dynatechs will comprise 80% of the header mods done here. I chose Dynatech based on price, ease of install and fitment, and performance comparison to the others. Install on a lift with help about 4 hours, but I have been in and under the car before, if this is your first time...maybe 6-8 hours. Excellent install procedures are available on www.ls1howto.com. These are for LGs, but will apply to most longtubes.

I didnt have to move anything around, some things removed or loosend for the install, but everything went back just as it should. Now this is not to say that things are not TIGHT in there. I had to take a break a few times but they do fit as advertised.
I was thinking about pro install which was about $350 here in va beach, VA. One tip, do not use the supplied manifold gasket, order the OEM for GM, $18.00. All the leaks from the manifold I have heard of were caused by after-market gaskets. I have swapped and fiddled with the under car components, and havent had a leak there yet.
Most people get about 30-40 rwhp, some more with a good tune. (Another topic all together )

I would say do some research, listen to some other vettes with after market stuff and spend 2300 and never stop grinnin , then think about cam/heads upgrade. Read the DART heads thread.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:18 PM
hhntr111
Burning Brakes

Both, it's not either/or. If you do it right, your warrenty is fine.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:03 AM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 598 Likes on 453 Posts

I have Borla Stingers and X-pipe, no cats. They're are saying the a set of headers would be too loud on some cars depending on the set up. 02 Z06 same as above with Halltech T1. 375rwhp/360rwtq. The tuner stated that my car was above average compared to others and it may be due the combo. of the Borla Stinger and X-pipe. Just my 2 cents.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I go headers or cat-back exhaust?

Quick Reply: Should I go headers or cat-back exhaust?