C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passing “ODB II style” emissions ….

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 02:12 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Passing “ODB II style” emissions ….

Does anybody have the full skinny on ODB II style emissions check?
I’m due for one and curious how exactly codes affect this procedure.

I do not have Check Engine light on, but when I check for codes using (Options + 4x Fuel) sometimes they’re some.
I haven’t checked for some time, so I’m not sure if they’re any codes currently.
Usually it’s the same few codes. Something about knock sensors circuit and air pump motor circuit.

How will this affect me passing the inspection?
Does “No check engine light” = PASS?
If not, if I clear whatever codes are showing up (using “Reset”), will that make it pass?
If not. and they’re stored somewhere else, what can I do to clear them?

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

There is an OBDII required (NO FAULT CODE ) time frame. I can never remember all of the steps it takes to clear the flag for the OBDII system NOT READY flag to clear.

Once you get a check engine light, it takes XXX number of ignition cycles and different throttle position combinations ect ect to clear the flag! If you have a check engine light and clear it just before you get to the emissions station, it sets the flag and the OBDII test computer will give you an OBDII NOT READY fault code!

I have all of the steps on my home PC. If I remember I will hunt them down!

There are some fault DTC's that have nothing to do with OBDII emissions i.e. BCM, RFA and SCM ect codes! Those will not set the flag!

BC
Old 10-20-2005, 04:43 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by EuG
Does anybody have the full skinny on ODB II style emissions check?
I’m due for one and curious how exactly codes affect this procedure.

I do not have Check Engine light on, but when I check for codes using (Options + 4x Fuel) sometimes they’re some.
I haven’t checked for some time, so I’m not sure if they’re any codes currently.
Usually it’s the same few codes. Something about knock sensors circuit and air pump motor circuit.

How will this affect me passing the inspection?
Does “No check engine light” = PASS?
If not, if I clear whatever codes are showing up (using “Reset”), will that make it pass?
If not. and they’re stored somewhere else, what can I do to clear them?

Thanks.

I have passed with codes, Not all codes will cause problems (like the doubt the loss of communication codes affect anything). If you don't have a check-engine light on and have been running that way for a while, I doubt you will have a problem.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:49 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Usually these codes don’t set the check engine light on.
Every now & then I have one that does, but it’s been a while since last time.

I don’t remember the codes right now (I can check my car when I get home), but the codes I’m talking about are Pxxx codes.
There’re a bunch of Radio and other garbage codes, but I figured those don’t matter.

I guess I need to get specific codes – I’ll try to do that.

I have all of the steps on my home PC. If I remember I will hunt them down!
I’d appreciate it!

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:02 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Ok here’re the codes:

This is the only one that worries me:
10-PCM P0410 H C - "AIR System-B"

I think I know what this is about – my air pump is disconnected, so computer is probably bitching about it.
Will this cause me to fail the test?
I think I can probably turn this code off with LS1 Edit, but this will require a trip to the tuner, so if there’s anything else I can do, please advice

The rest of codes are bs:

Code:
58-SDM 	B1001 	H
AO-LDCM U1064	H
A1-RDCM	U1064	H
A6-SCM	B2860	H
BO-RFA	U1016	H
Old 10-20-2005, 07:31 PM
dpd
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will fail.secondary air is a 2 drive cycle fault[means that the fault will set 1 time without turning the light on.it's the 2nd drive cycle that turns the light on].secondary air is used to fire up the cats on cold start to keep emissions down[engines need to run rich on cold start]and get the car into closed loop[along with coolant temp].basically secondary air is like a choke on a carb.once the car gets hot you can unbolt it and throw it on the ground.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:21 PM
boosted_z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If light is in that is an instant fail.
If light is off then their next step is to see if any Pxxx (powertrain) errors exist. If the errors are smog related they would fail you.
Then they would check the onboard PCM smog tests.
If older then a 2001 model they might allow up to 2 of those tests to be in a non complete (failed) state
Newer then a 2001 and only 1 of the tests allowed to be non complete.
If several tests are non complete they can label the car as a gross polluter and must be smog tested every year for X amount of years

EPA not totally stupid so its built into the PCM that if you clear the errors, remove battery, or flash the PCM, forces all smog tests results to get reset back to non complete and some smog parts like the cats could take up to forty cold/normal drive cycles so you do not want to clear error codes close to going to a smog test shop

AIR is a smog function and is one test that can take many drive cycles to get into a complete state.
You either get that fixed of have a tuner program so that none of the AIR error codes trip, trip the light and also passes the AIR tests in PCM
Old 10-21-2005, 12:41 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

You'll need to edit out the P0410 code via HPTuners / LS1Edit, etc. Works for everyone that's ever done it properly.

Get notified of new replies

To Passing “ODB II style” emissions ….

Quick Reply: Passing “ODB II style” emissions ….