C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unable to install exhaust tips..Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 12:43 AM
Clamshell
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Unable to install exhaust tips..Help!

Just recieved my order of stainless steel exhaust tips for my C5. The company said that they were bolt on and should slide over the existing stock tips. Unfortunately, I have had no luck in being able to slide these tips over the tips that are currently on my car. I bought the car used and I am not sure if the tips that are currently on the car are stock. They don't appear to be stock based on the picture that is on corsa's web site. Also, they appear to be welded on. Am I going to have to break the existing weld points free and remove these tips? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Tips currently on Car:

New Tips:

Weld Point of the existing tips on the car:

New tips and how they don't fit over current tips on car:

Old 11-02-2005, 01:02 AM
ST0CKER
Racer

those new tips are designed for pre 01 cat backs w/ no tips on them.

Dave
Old 11-02-2005, 09:23 AM
Clamshell
Intermediate

So , are there tips for an 01 or greater C5 that would fit ? If not is there a way to easily remove the existing tips from my car ? I see where the weld points are but I am not sure how I would remove them.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:34 AM
BlueDragon
Drifting

I don't think just cutting the welds will help as the new tips were designed to clip to the stock tips, which were the oval type. You could have them spot welded back on but getting them right will be hard.

Just get a Dremel with one of thos small cut off disc's and cut the welds right where the pipe goes into the tip and they should slide right off. You might have to drop the cat-back if there is a weld on the top of the pipe.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:57 AM
Clamshell
Intermediate

So are there tips that would fit my vehicle? Or am I SOL?
Old 11-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Clamshell
Intermediate

Has anyone had prior experience with removing the existing tips from a 2001 or greater and placing after market tips on their c5? Would love to hear about your success or failure stories. Details would be greatly appreciated on how you were able to remove the existing tips and place the new ones on.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:10 PM
Plentyfast
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Dude .... IMO .... why are you trying to dress up that factory exhaust.

The tips aren't going to make it sound any better.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:16 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Clamshell
So are there tips that would fit my vehicle? Or am I SOL?
Why/what are you trying to do? If the current ones are dented/damaged in some way, maybe it'll be worth the effort. I believe (having had both pre and post '01s), that the exhaust underneath is the same, there's just a shell tack welded on.

But, it's still a stock exhaust, and the stock chrome (polished, whatever, they're shiny) shells are just that, shells.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 11-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Clamshell
Intermediate

Well, I guess the whole reason why I was wanting to replace the tips is that the ones currently on the car look very worn. I have tried cleaning them up with a brillo pad,metal polish, soap and water and it doesn't seem to help. I figured if someone had come across this before and it was easy to do ;I would attempt the same. It doesn't look very hard to get the old ones off . But I am not sure if the new ones would fit.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:33 PM
JD's C5
Melting Slicks

Nope you are SOL. They are made to take the original factory exahust of th e98-00 style, The aftermarkets won't fit that and if you cut them off you won't be left with the original oval necessary to clip and bolt them on.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I seriously recommend investing $350-$400 on a set of OEM Z06 Titanimum (Ti) exhaust. I have an 02 Z06 and loved the sound of the exhaust so much that I purchased a set of Ti's for my 98 Coupe. NOTE** Due to the tune of the LS6 compared to the LS1, the LS1 will not sound as agressive as the Z06 but it is a SIGNIFICANT improvement in looks, weight and sound!!! The STOCK EXHAUST weights 24 lbs each. The stock Ti mufflers weigh 13 lbs each.

Here are some pictures of a set of Z06 Ti's off the car:

I went whoile HOG and up-graded my Z06 to a Stainless Works system. Headers to tail pipes! Couldnt be happier!

Look on the C5 Parts for sale section. There are always Ti mufflers for sale. DO NOT PURCHASE mufflers that have been cut or require welding unless you know of a shop that can weld Ti. Takes special wire and a unique welding tip!

I have some more photos if you would like to have them.

Bill C
Old 11-02-2005, 05:59 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

Bill,

Is that your baby in the background? If so, is she Nassau Blue or EB? Gotta find all the NB kiddos out there!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 11-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Clamshell
Intermediate

Guys thanks for all your help. I guess I will be sending these back. I will definitely consider the z06 muffler option.

Get notified of new replies

To Unable to install exhaust tips..Help!

Quick Reply: Unable to install exhaust tips..Help!