C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Tach display missing fm HUD pages

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 10:26 PM
TVROguy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help - Tach display missing fm HUD pages

Tach in cluster is OK but no longer shows in any HUD page.

I had to tow my 99 vette to the dealer for column lock issue. My Extended Warranty covered it BUT what a fiasco! They supposedly fixed it by re-programming, but when when I got in the car the column was still locked. They then had to order and replace the lock mechanism. 5 days later I was able to drive it away.
I hit the freeway and noticed that the HUD was dimmed all the way down. When I turned it up, I found that the Tach doesn't display. When I turn on the ignition everything lights up in the display, so the display itself appears to be OK, but when driving the arched numbers and tach bar graph are off/blank/not lit up. The tach in the instrument cluster works fine, it's only missing from the HUD. I've cycled through all the pages in the HUD display ... no Tach.
I complained to the dealer and they said the HUD had nothing to do with my original problem but they could "fit me in" to repair this NEW problem in about a week - under warranty, $100 deductable. I was (still am) LIVID ... I REALLY like using it and the ONLY reason for turning it down was to hide it from me until I drove off the lot. They had plugged a handheld programming/test set in under the steering wheel, re-programmed the computer and tore the steering column/dash apart to replace the locking mechanism. Could they turn the Tach signal to the HUD off in programming? Could they have broken or pinched a wire (if so, which one is the Tach output).
I've checked all the other threads I can find on this, and other forums. Found some info on HUD install ... but these imply the the wires to the HUD and basically voltages and data (therefore no single wire with Tach signal). But, none had an actual wiring diagram or schematic for me to look at. I still wonder ... if the tach signal is provided along with other data from the cluster ... has it just been turned off when they when they (the dealer) was reprogramming???

I haven't figured out how to insert pictures ... If you look at the HUD install on http://joshker99.home.comcast.net/hudinstall2.htm first page top center is what my display looks like when initializing. Bottom pictures are how mine looks when running (depending on which page I have selected - I normally use the gas gauge one on the left).

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the HUD & Instrument cluster? Can anyone help?

Mike
Old 11-28-2005, 11:29 PM
TVROguy
Advanced

Someone on another forum helped me. You have to Press & Hold the PAGE button for about 2-3 second to "reset" the HUD. Now I have the Tach bar graph and number scale back in the appropriate pages.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:37 PM
Bill Baird
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

It's a pity that the dealer didn't volunteer that information.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:09 AM
BiggieBoy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by TVROguy
Someone on another forum helped me. You have to Press & Hold the PAGE button for about 2-3 second to "reset" the HUD. Now I have the Tach bar graph and number scale back in the appropriate pages.
If you have an owners manual---the info you were looking for is described in detail.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:41 AM
JH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Baird
It's a pity that the dealer didn't volunteer that information.
Doesn't say much for the dealer, does it?

Get notified of new replies

To Help - Tach display missing fm HUD pages

Quick Reply: Help - Tach display missing fm HUD pages