C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas flow within dual tanks

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 08:43 PM
2GOFAST
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Gas flow within dual tanks

I need to put the vette away for the winter and without planning I have a full tank of gas and have not added the gas stablizer yet.

Does the gas flow back and forth between the tanks?

If I add the stablizer now and drive around for a few miles will it get into both the tanks thereby protecting the gas in both tanks?

Or do i need to drive around to use the gas and start over with a near empty tank, add the stablizer and fill it up?

How low does the gas level need to be?

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:02 PM
djengr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the gas flow back and forth between the tanks?

If I add the stablizer now and drive around for a few miles will it get into both the tanks thereby protecting the gas in both tanks?

Or do i need to drive around to use the gas and start over with a near empty tank, add the stablizer and fill it up?

Someone chime in where I am wrong. The way I understand the system is the passenger tank empties first through an eductor type pump back into the drivers side tank (?). But when the car is off gas can flow back into the passenger side till even.

Probably an option would be to run it empty, fill it 1/3 put in 1/2 stabilizer, put in another 1/3 gas and empty stabilzer.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:29 PM
alanh
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think as you fill the car, the driver tank fills first, then via the transferr tube behind the seats, the passenger tank fills. As you use the gas, the engine fuel is pumped out of the driver tank, and there is a small sensor in the driver tank that activates a transferr pump located in the passenger tank to keep the two tanks even as the fuel is used.
You deed to use about 1/4 tank, dump in the stablizer for the driver tank, put in about 3 gal., that will fill the driver tank and run over into the passenger tank, put in the stablizer for the passenger tank, most of it will then run to the passenger tank, then top the tank off.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:04 AM
2GOFAST
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate the help

Anyone else want to chime in?
Old 12-02-2005, 02:53 PM
bluewire
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Why bother with a stabilizer? I would guess you will start to drive it again in march or april and your gas should be fine.
I have never used gas stabilizers in any of my cars and they have been fine.
Just fill it up with some good gas and let it hibernate till spring.

Old 12-03-2005, 09:25 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

The fuel re-circulates when running only, so add the stabilizer at any level, then drive it for a while.

However, I think you don't need it. I would fill the tanks COMPLETELY FULL to prevent condensation, then put er' away!

Get notified of new replies

To Gas flow within dual tanks

Quick Reply: Gas flow within dual tanks