C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rustproofing

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 11:05 PM
Its_Go_Time
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Rustproofing

Have any of you guys had any sort of rustproofing applied to your cars? If so, what was it and how was it applied? For those of you who drive their cars year round in snow/salt, what kind of corrosion are you seeing on the framework and aluminum components. I would be very interested in any input you guys might have. Thank you!
Old 12-19-2005, 01:27 AM
rmitchell242
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh no is it time to start thinking about rusted out c5s?
Old 12-19-2005, 06:09 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I don't drive my 'Vette in the winter, however I used to rustproof cars for some extra $$. On the frame and suspension parts, or anything else that's metal, I would use a product called "LPS 3". Spray it on liberally. Most everything else should be OK, as it's something other than metal, so it shouldn't rust.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Its_Go_Time
Burning Brakes

ttt
Old 12-19-2005, 08:33 PM
turboc5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last winter when I drove my car in the winter I sprayed everything I could with silicone tire shine. The foaming black magic in the spray can. I sprayed the frame, subframes, engine block, ect. and absoloutly no corrosion or rust in the seams. Then in the spring just spray it down with some degreeser and pressure wash it. I drove it 1 snowy day this winter without spraying it down and now my aluminum has all these white spots whare its starting to corrode. So with my unscientific tests it worked and it was cheap and easy.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:16 PM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Rusty Jones
Old 12-20-2005, 01:09 AM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See below.

Last edited by slwhite; 12-20-2005 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:12 AM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

I have read that rust-proofing can be worse than nothing. The problem is that once you spray that stuff on, if any salt or water gets under that coating then there is no way to wash it out. The entry point can be a tiny pin hole that you cannot even see. Thus your frame could be rusting away under that layer of rust-proofing and you can't even see it. If it was such a good idea, I would think that the factory would put it on there to start with.

The same process happens with painted steel. The paint is the "rust-proofing". Water or salt enters through a pin hole and proceeds to rust away the sheet metal under the paint and you will not even see it for a long time. I am sure you have seen cars with big globs of rust under the paint. That is why I go over my steel bodied cars with touch up paint prior to each winter.

The proper way that some factories provide rust resistance is to galvanize the steel (zinc plating).
Old 12-20-2005, 03:28 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Factory does do it now with some waxy slime on the trucks
Old 12-20-2005, 04:01 PM
IFLUBYU
Drifting

When you think about it, how much of the vehicle is really that susceptible to rusting?
Old 12-20-2005, 04:05 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

the frame, no frame no car. Like having no spine
Old 12-20-2005, 09:54 PM
konish
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just do a fresh water wash-down of the critical areas once a week? I would think that anywhere you could gain access with a can of aerosol rest-proofer, you could get with a high pressure, water wand in spades. Obviously you'd have to be a little more careful in the engine bay and use the low pressure "spotless rinse" setting. Just my $.02
Old 12-20-2005, 10:55 PM
Its_Go_Time
Burning Brakes

What I ended up settling on was this stuff made by Rust Check. It's like an oil which seeps into all the seams and nooks, and then kinda turns into a gel. It's supposed to draw moisture away from the steel without dripping off. It has to be be touched up once a year though. It's a bit messy, but it does give the impression that it'll keep her rust free. Here's a pic.

Old 12-20-2005, 11:34 PM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Factory does do it now with some waxy slime on the trucks
The waxy slime sounds like a good idea. It is flexible and can be smeared around and easily moved. It is that spray on goop that turns hard that I am referring to.
The following users liked this post:
03tripleblack (01-15-2024)
Old 12-20-2005, 11:36 PM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by konish
Why not just do a fresh water wash-down of the critical areas once a week? I would think that anywhere you could gain access with a can of aerosol rest-proofer, you could get with a high pressure, water wand in spades. Obviously you'd have to be a little more careful in the engine bay and use the low pressure "spotless rinse" setting. Just my $.02
That is my preferred method.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:44 AM
Joevette99
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default I found some rusting

Originally Posted by Its_Go_Time
Have any of you guys had any sort of rustproofing applied to your cars? If so, what was it and how was it applied? For those of you who drive their cars year round in snow/salt, what kind of corrosion are you seeing on the framework and aluminum components. I would be very interested in any input you guys might have. Thank you!
Look above the mufflers exit pipes at the frame that runs across the car. I found that frame rusting and paint peeling recently. I sanded the rust off and repainted. I also looked at the exposed frame sections around the rear differential and cleaned off the salt deposits.

Fortunately I now have a garage and put the car away in the winter. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:05 PM
c3andc5
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't waste your money. Rustproofing is one of the biggest scams of the 20th century. If you want to drive your car in that white mess with all that corrosive crap they put down then the best thing you can do is high-pressure rinse your car often.

Get notified of new replies

To Rustproofing

Old 12-22-2005, 06:27 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by c3andc5
Don't waste your money. Rustproofing is one of the biggest scams of the 20th century. If you want to drive your car in that white mess with all that corrosive crap they put down then the best thing you can do is high-pressure rinse your car often.
True to a point, however you can't always reach the little pockets that hold the salt unless the car is up on a lift. Rustproofing CAN be a valuable tool against rust...if it's done properly. (Most dealers don't do it properly, that's how I got into the business)
Old 12-22-2005, 06:07 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I spray inner panel coating by 3M in my vehicles and it stays soft. I spray it in hidden areas and it has worked well. There are many good products I am sure but application is the key. POR15 is good to paint over rust and seal it for good. I HATE RUST! When I got my Dodge dooley and went under it and paited the coil springs and drive shaft and other items after 4 years it is still like new.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:20 PM
cebars
Pro

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I spray inner panel coating by 3M in my vehicles and it stays soft. I spray it in hidden areas and it has worked well. There are many good products I am sure but application is the key. POR15 is good to paint over rust and seal it for good. I HATE RUST! When I got my Dodge dooley and went under it and paited the coil springs and drive shaft and other items after 4 years it is still like new.
Are you saying that you painted your Dodge with POR16 or used the 3M spay coating?

Quick Reply: Rustproofing