C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reduced Engine Power......HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 11:40 PM
Alcee1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Reduced Engine Power......HELP!!!!!

Tonight I started my car, drove away and got 1/2 mile from my house when the DIC went crazy, "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" nothing on the gas pedal either. Lucky I was on a slight decline, I let the car roll towards the curb and let it idle, the DIC still flashing reduced engine power, I tried to give it gas but everytime I did the idle went nuts, you know like up and down, (varoom, varoom, varoom) after a short while it went back to a normal idle, but I still couldn't give it gas or the same thing happens. The DIC flashed "SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM" or somthing like that for a few times, then that stopped after I pushed the traction button a few times. anyway has anyone had anything like this happen to them???

Please help

I got the car towed home and when I got it in the garage it ran fine, but now the coolant light was on, I remove the coolant cap and checked the coolant, it was fine. I put the cap back on and started the car and now the coolant light is off......

I'm scared to drive it now, again please help.......

Thanks Alcee
Old 01-12-2006, 11:45 PM
allmee
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you check to see if your battery may be leaking, going down on some electricals underneath?
Old 01-13-2006, 01:33 AM
2KVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Check your codes write them down. Clear all your codes! Check your air bridge to make sure it is not off.

Is the check engine light on?

Any recent mods?

Did you take it to get serviced?

This happen to me but the code I got was because my MAF was bad. Got one from a guy here used. But you would get a code telling you if it was bad.

Post your codes if they come back.

We can help diagnos this. If it is serious it will pop right back up.

Cheers!!
Old 01-13-2006, 01:42 AM
mrC5er
Racer

My '01 coupe was doing this last fall. Codes indicated a problem in the accelerator pedal position sensor/throttle position sensor/TAC (Throttle Actuator Control) module system. After two trips to the dealer (who did nothing) I finally opened up the passenger side wheelhouse area where the TAC module lives, and found a severely nicked and pinched ground wire, along with an incorrect (loose, flopping around), mounting of the module. After repairing the ground and properly securing the module, the problem completely stopped. It was getting to the point that it happened almost every time I drove the car, and on the last day it happened, it did it to me FOUR times.....3 times on the way home from work that night. I don't know what system the ground wire was a part of (my service manuals don't show it to be related to the throttle system), but since it's been trouble-free for over 3 months now, I'm convinced the ground was the culprit. I've read numerous posts from other members that essentially say the same thing: "Check your grounds!" The electronics on these cars are extremely sensitive to faulty grounds.
And BTW, the "Service Engine" light will shut off after the third ignition cycle of the engine.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:53 AM
Alcee1
Melting Slicks

Did a visual on the Battery, it's does not appear to be leaking. I made a mistake earlier, the light that was on wasen't the coolant light, it was the check engine light, but when I removed the coolant cap it went away. Anyway, no recent mods, no recent service. Everything has been going great until tonight. I will check the grounds and pull codes tomorrow to see what I get.

Thanks guys, you gave me something to start with.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Alcee1
Melting Slicks

Well, I did a check of everything and all I can come up with is the TAC loss communication. I've been driving the car around and everything is back to normal. Checked the computer and I'm getting no codes. I'm scatching my head and hoping it won't happen again. Thanks guy's for your advice.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:41 PM
dpd
Drifting

sounds like the beginning of a battery going south.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:54 PM
C5-Bender
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same problem, but i got rid of it after some tuning.
BTW i got turbo's.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...m_id=86&arch=1

Roger
Old 01-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I feel for you! I had the same issue with my 98! It got so bad that I was afraid to drive it. I was ready to burn the damn thing!!!
So, after many months of troubleshooting and some GM Trouble Desk and forum help, here are the things that made mine all better again!

- Some 97 and 98 C5 had defective Throttle Acuation Controler (TAC ) modules. There are new and improved modules that resolve that issue. I got mine from Fitchners Chevy mail order for just about $200. (normaly $400) That caused my reduced power issue. Its a plug and play module and is a "I can do this my self repair"

I also had some VERY strange interior lighting and dash issues that would come and go. That problem turned out to be the BCM. It was getting wet and had some corrosion on the back side of the board.

The last thing that caused the car to fail to start and die were corroded chassis grounds.

Here is a link to the post that I started on that subject.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ion&forum_id=1

Bill C
Old 01-14-2006, 06:07 PM
BAD_TCR
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree that it sounds like a battery going south, connections, wires. How old is the battery. This is the cheapest thing to check first...go get your self another and see what happens. When those things go bad, weird things can start to happen. When you have the battery out, do a further inspection for leakage, etc. Might as well just replace the battery to rule that out...onceyou do that, then you know wether you have a much mroeserious problem and can start looking at the more expensive solutions like the BCM, PCM etc..
Old 01-14-2006, 06:33 PM
vette113
Advanced

Same thing happened to me at DE event. It was the Throttle Body Motor. They can finally give up the ghost. After you have checked all the grounds, and that does not do it, have someone with spare throttle body loan you the motor. Replace and see what happens. You cannot buy just the motor if that is it. Takes a new throttle body, $300.00 or so.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Alcee1
Melting Slicks

Hey Bill C, is that the module at the base of the steering column.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:33 AM
hydroplane
Advanced

Just had a simular problem a couple days ago. Engine was a knockin & the DIC was a talkin' like TRACTION SYSTEM; ENGINE REDUCTION; & other weird messages, but something flashed very quickly & had to stop engine & restart to see what it was - it said LOW VOLTAGE - Take your battery out & take it to your trusty tech & have it charge tested!
Old 01-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The BCM is in the passengers foot well. Its the big silver box.

The TAC module is in the passengers fender well. It lives on the outside of the PCM. You need to remove the passengers wheel.

TAC module is the little black plastic box!

PCM REMOVED FROM THE MOUNTING :

Inside the wheel well, there is an access panel that unscrews and will provide you access to the PCM and TAC modules.

The module that is in the drivers foot well at the bace of the column is the steering wheel position sensor. Dont mess with that one!! It's not causing the issue!

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 01-15-2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:35 PM
Alcee1
Melting Slicks

Thanks BC

Get notified of new replies

To Reduced Engine Power......HELP!!!!!

Quick Reply: Reduced Engine Power......HELP!!!!!