C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering swapping from a LS1 to LS6 intake.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 12:41 PM
99vettewsnc
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Considering swapping from a LS1 to LS6 intake.....

Car is a daily driver, 99 Coupe M6, 53,000 miles. Current mods so far are a Vararam intake, Dynatech Longtube headers, High-flow cats, and GHL Bullets. Recently had car tuned by Jeff Creech at Carolina Auto Masters, 331Rwhp/348Ftlbs torque. How much peformance increase should I expect going to the LS6 intake manifold? Should I just save my money and go with a cam, if so what kind and numbers, not a cam expert here. Or possibly go with 3.90 gears. Just looking for some advice from others who have swapped intakes from LS1 to LS6. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Alfcarguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing cam and heads your only going to pick up like about 100HP, I thinking its only like 50HP with a cam. I was think it's not that much HP with a LS6 intake, and you already have changed the stock intake to a Vararammmm
Old 01-20-2006, 12:58 PM
SynistrC5
Racer

I'm currently in the process of doing an LS6 intake swap on my 99. I also got my throttle body ported & now i'm debating on adding a cam. I would asume you should see an 8-10 hp gain with your other mods. Not to mention the LS6 intake should help any other mods that you might do in the future such as a cam.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Alfcarguy
Instructor

Sorry about that that Varamm is a cold induction intake, But this is what SLP say's about LS6 intake manifold.
Add Z06-style performance to your 1997-2000 Corvette with a high capacity SLP LS6 Intake Manifold. This maximum flow manifold, with increased plenum volume, creates gains of up to 10 hp at the rear wheels, which improves 0-60 times and 1/4-mile acceleration. Plus, the LS6-style manifold is nearly indistinguishable from the original LS1, making it a direct bolt-on replacement. Fits 1997-00 Corvettes engines and includes all necessary parts, hardware, detailed instructions and limited warranty. A great partner to our LS1 Modified Mass Airflow Sensor (#606-759) and SLP Blackwing filter and High Flow Bellows (622906).

You also might check out:
http://www.madvet.com/shop?category=1.12
Old 01-20-2006, 01:24 PM
NEED FOR SPEED
Safety Car

CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07

The LS6 manifold will not help a stock engine that much.Maybe 5 hp.But the more things you add(heads,cam,headers,etc) the more it helps. By the way,I live about 30 minutes from you.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:38 PM
Cole
Pro

Originally Posted by NEED FOR SPEED
The LS6 manifold will not help a stock engine that much.Maybe 5 hp.But the more things you add(heads,cam,headers,etc) the more it helps. By the way,I live about 30 minutes from you.
I put one on my 2000. I think it made a difference as I had to disable traction control on the car and use competitive driving mode to eliminate a hesitation on WOT. I think the extra power caused the TC to kick in. Once I disabled the TC, the hesitation went away and there was a SOP improvement. I think the estimate of 10hp may be valid. My car dynos about 15HP more than yoursrs and produces 376 pounds of torque with essentially the same mods.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Jim Taylor
Pro

A new cam and/or heads create the need for more air. Assuming you do your own labor, a cam and an LS6 intake cost about the same amount, but you will notice a much bigger difference by changing the cam, even with the stock LS1 intake. After that, I'd add headers before the intake because the restrictive stock exhaust is a bigger bottleneck. At that point, I'm not sure whether an LS6 intake or new heads would provide the best return. At some point you'll want them all, and the more you can do at once the better. Don't forget you have to retune after cam, headers and heads. Once I started, I just decided to do it all at once and get it over with

P.S. I see you already have headers, so I'd say cam first, then either intake or heads.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Alfcarguy
Instructor

Traction control. You differently need that off any time your racing the Vettes. I find you will almost kill yourself with it on And if your running slicks you have your own traction control

But the Cam is the best deal, Also don't forget Rollrockers. Get rid of the stockers. But in the end you will be getting LS6 intake so get that if you can afford it.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:16 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may gain as much as 10 hp with the LS1 to LS6 manifold swap.

Mark
Old 01-20-2006, 06:45 PM
99vettewsnc
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. Since mine is a daily driver, what would be a good cam choice. Any info you guys can provide on a cam the better. How much horse power should I expect with a cam only, not replacing heads. Obviously not looking for a large aggresive cam at this point being a daily driver. Sort of leaning away from the LS6 intake at this point unless I can find a used one cheap.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:00 PM
NEED FOR SPEED
Safety Car

CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07

The trick on a cam change is getting the car tuned. Also it makes a difference if your Vette is an auto or a 6-speed. If you have a tuner,ask him what he has experience tuning. Your car has to be state inspected.You will have to change valve springs,even on some of the milder cams. I will offer some general numbers on a cam.
220-224 duration (degrees)
.550-.580 lift
114 lsa

Hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Alfcarguy
Instructor

The Vette in my Avatar I believe he had put a 550 something in the 500 lift I don't believe he got it tuned either I slapped that engine in there and it ran just fine. It idle like stock and you wouldn't known this was a bad@ss Corvette. Thats what some custom motorcycle guys found out one day when they decide to challenge us in it. They weren't even a match for it. I think he got the rev limiter put up higher to like 7 grand. But he did have the engine rebuilt and got the heads ported thou. It was like a year ago when he had done it so trying to remember that far is like hard.

A quick way of adding HP cause I believe all they were giving is like 50 HP just with a cam but with head work and cam you will get about 100HP.

But before the owner had done the above stuff he just plugged and played with a Hyper tech that I think got him about 40- 60HP.

But at that time the owner was pushig over 550 HP and last year with the cam and head upgrades he was pushing over 650HP on just motor and with a 150 shot of NOS it was over 800 HP. But that is old news cause the guy he was going to tune this car pretty much screwed it up, on how he tuned it to handle the NOS. So it sits in my yard with the engine out and me waiting for him to get the engine rebuilt and this has been since July when I was driving it home to pull the trans which was burned up and on my drive home the engine locked up and the car died. But the owner drove the car on the streets all the time and drag raced it.

One thing you need to ask your self is what you really want to do with this car. Do you want to race it or just have a fast car for when someone pulls up to you and challenges you. These Corvettes are fast today so there's not alot of other cars that's going to be able to beat them unless they have a runner themselves. But with all that said, once you start adding HP there's no turning back cause your going to always want to get faster and faster. So don't say you haven't been warned.

And the few years I've known this guy this is the only time I knew he took the car to the track and that night he burned up the trans. He's a street racer. And running a 10 to high 9 sec Vette you got to have some ***** running it on the streets. If you notice the back slicks he won a discount or won them in a street race with people that owned there own speed shop

Last edited by Alfcarguy; 01-20-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:46 AM
JR_VET
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 99vettewsnc
Car is a daily driver, 99 Coupe M6, 53,000 miles. Current mods so far are a Vararam intake, Dynatech Longtube headers, High-flow cats, and GHL Bullets. Recently had car tuned by Jeff Creech at Carolina Auto Masters, 331Rwhp/348Ftlbs torque. How much peformance increase should I expect going to the LS6 intake manifold? Should I just save my money and go with a cam, if so what kind and numbers, not a cam expert here. Or possibly go with 3.90 gears. Just looking for some advice from others who have swapped intakes from LS1 to LS6. Thanks in advance.
Look at and read this thread and i believe you will swap the intake:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...errerid=168589
Old 01-21-2006, 01:12 AM
Shane_S
Drifting

going from LS1 to LS6 manifolds are definately a worthwhile swap. Especially if you're adding a cam and heads later on. And at $300-$400 shipped or so it's about half the price of a FAST LSX intake. Mine is still sitting in the box it came in. Waiting till I get my tax return to throw it on.

Shane
Old 01-21-2006, 07:38 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfcarguy
Doing cam and heads your only going to pick up like about 100HP, I thinking its only like 50HP with a cam. I was think it's not that much HP with a LS6 intake, and you already have changed the stock intake to a Vararammmm
OH boy, here we go... You're not going to pick up 100HP on a heads/ cam deal unless you go big. Most guys are lucky to see 410WHP with a set of mild ported Patriots and a dual pattern cam. Jeff Creech Tuned my 99C5 with mods very similar to the original posters. I had LGM headers, LS6 intake, Shaner ported Tbody, Volant CAI, Borla Stingers and SLP cats and made 335/353 on a road race friendly tune.

My new Heads/cam motor made 386/382 last weekend at the CorvetteForum Dyno day at Jeffs. That's with the LS1 heads ported and stuffed w/2.02 -1.57 valves, LGM LTs, SLP Cats, Bassani X, Z06 mufflers, Z06 intake & injectors, Volant CAI, and shaner TBody, and of course, Jeff's great tuning.

I doubt you'll pick up much more than 5-7WHP by swapping the intake. That's what's been published in most magazine test comparos on these intakes.

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 01-21-2006 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:38 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Alfcarguy
The Vette in my Avatar I believe he had put a 550 something in the 500 lift I don't believe he got it tuned either I slapped that engine in there and it ran just fine. It idle like stock and you wouldn't known this was a bad@ss Corvette. Thats what some custom motorcycle guys found out one day when they decide to challenge us in it. They weren't even a match for it. I think he got the rev limiter put up higher to like 7 grand. But he did have the engine rebuilt and got the heads ported thou. It was like a year ago when he had done it so trying to remember that far is like hard.

A quick way of adding HP cause I believe all they were giving is like 50 HP just with a cam but with head work and cam you will get about 100HP.

But before the owner had done the above stuff he just plugged and played with a Hyper tech that I think got him about 40- 60HP.

But at that time the owner was pushig over 550 HP and last year with the cam and head upgrades he was pushing over 650HP on just motor and with a 150 shot of NOS it was over 800 HP. But that is old news cause the guy he was going to tune this car pretty much screwed it up, on how he tuned it to handle the NOS. So it sits in my yard with the engine out and me waiting for him to get the engine rebuilt and this has been since July when I was driving it home to pull the trans which was burned up and on my drive home the engine locked up and the car died. But the owner drove the car on the streets all the time and drag raced it.

One thing you need to ask your self is what you really want to do with this car. Do you want to race it or just have a fast car for when someone pulls up to you and challenges you. These Corvettes are fast today so there's not alot of other cars that's going to be able to beat them unless they have a runner themselves. But with all that said, once you start adding HP there's no turning back cause your going to always want to get faster and faster. So don't say you haven't been warned.

And the few years I've known this guy this is the only time I knew he took the car to the track and that night he burned up the trans. He's a street racer. And running a 10 to high 9 sec Vette you got to have some ***** running it on the streets. If you notice the back slicks he won a discount or won them in a street race with people that owned there own speed shop
Those are increadibly high numbers for just a heads/cam car, dude. Can you get more details on this and some dyno sheets? I gotta see this!

And 40-60HP out of a hand held tuner?

Mike
Old 01-21-2006, 10:12 AM
JR_VET
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Those are increadibly high numbers for just a heads/cam car, dude. Can you get more details on this and some dyno sheets? I gotta see this!

And 40-60HP out of a hand held tuner?

Mike
Those are some very high number on the fact that there is no facts, I also have to play the flag on the hand held . I jumped all over mine and I may have gotten 10-20 unstable rwhp.

Last edited by JR_VET; 01-21-2006 at 10:17 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Considering swapping from a LS1 to LS6 intake.....

Old 01-21-2006, 10:32 AM
lost
Drifting

I really want some of the stuff you guys are smoking! Gm only managed 4rwhp with the addition of the LS6 intake and higher flowing cast exhaust manifolds.The runner length and diameter on the LS6 intake manifold is identical to the LS1, The inlet of each runner is belled approx. 1/16", the plenum volume is increased a bit over 2 cubic inches.The hypertech doesn't change the fuel cell #s, and only adds 1-2 degrees of timing, good for at most 7-10 hp.I did before and after autotaps to confirm timing changes. Adding the thermostat doesn't give you any hp, but keeps you from losing any due to heat soak.I would not recommend hypertech to anyone who doesnt have 93 octane gas available, stock PCM is set up for 91 octane.Only the more radical H/c cars are getting 100hp and that generally includes longtubes,x-pipe, a catback and cold air intake system and a $500 dyno tune.Assuming you do all the mechanical work yourself[except dyno tune] figure a minimum of $50 per hp.Strokers and resleeved engines increases the cost exponentially.You may ask why I'm including all of this extra stuff, when the original question was only about the LS6 intake. Any mild modification is the first sign of a very serious desease called modaholism....
Old 01-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lost
I really want some of the stuff you guys are smoking! Gm only managed 4rwhp with the addition of the LS6 intake and higher flowing cast exhaust manifolds.The runner length and diameter on the LS6 intake manifold is identical to the LS1, The inlet of each runner is belled approx. 1/16", the plenum volume is increased a bit over 2 cubic inches.The hypertech doesn't change the fuel cell #s, and only adds 1-2 degrees of timing, good for at most 7-10 hp.I did before and after autotaps to confirm timing changes. Adding the thermostat doesn't give you any hp, but keeps you from losing any due to heat soak.I would not recommend hypertech to anyone who doesnt have 93 octane gas available, stock PCM is set up for 91 octane.Only the more radical H/c cars are getting 100hp and that generally includes longtubes,x-pipe, a catback and cold air intake system and a $500 dyno tune.Assuming you do all the mechanical work yourself[except dyno tune] figure a minimum of $50 per hp.Strokers and resleeved engines increases the cost exponentially.You may ask why I'm including all of this extra stuff, when the original question was only about the LS6 intake. Any mild modification is the first sign of a very serious desease called modaholism....

Mike
Old 01-21-2006, 10:57 AM
gojo
Melting Slicks

Jason,
I'm with the them.
It's hard to pick up HP without going radical and adding mods that compliment each other. See my mods and what it took to get there. My dyno was at Jeff's also. We live near. Drop by.
Joe

Quick Reply: Considering swapping from a LS1 to LS6 intake.....