C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure (High?) with Cooler/Accusump/T-stat/LS6 Ported Oil Pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Oil Pressure (High?) with Cooler/Accusump/T-stat/LS6 Ported Oil Pump

I have a new 383 stroker using a LS6 ported oil pump connected to a 3-quart Accusump, LPE oil cooler and Canton Racing oil thermostat. The oil pressure rises to 65 when I first start the engine and it takes several minutes for the oil pressure to settle down at 46 (good) while cruising and idle at 36-38 (good).

Is this high pressure due to having the oil travel through the many components and fittings in this setup? NOTE: I'm running regular 5W30 oil and switching to synthetic next week (after break in). Are there any problems in having the oil pressure run high at 65 till the oil warms up, etc?

Is anyone else running this type of oil cooling and accusump setup? What is your oil pressure at start up and during the first 15 minutes? Everything appears to be working fine and once the engine is warm and has been running for a few minutes the oil pressure remains in the optimal range.

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 01-28-2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:41 AM
SpeedyZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is not caused by "having the oil travel through the many components and fittings in this setup". On the LSx engines the oil pressure is sensed at the top of the block behind the intake. At this point the oil has already gone from the oil pump through all those components and fittings, meaning since your gauge reading is after those components and fittings any restriction in those components would show up as a loss in pressure not an increase.

I have about the same setup on a 346 except I have an internal EOC and no thermostat. When cold, if I bring the RPM up around 3000 it the oil pressure will be around 60PSI, but will fall back once the engine is warm. I don't think 65PSI is going to cause you any problem, sounds pretty normal for a cold engine.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:42 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm having the oil changed back to synthetic this Friday and will use the stock AC Delco PF46 filter - changing from the Baldwin B31 oil filter I've been using, which apparently has caused higher oil pressure readings. I will also have all the oil lines inspected for any pinching. Hopefully, the change back to synthetic and using a different filter will resolve the higher start-up oil pressure I'm experiencing. Another option is to switch from M1 5W30 to M1 0W40.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Pressure (High?) with Cooler/Accusump/T-stat/LS6 Ported Oil Pump

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure (High?) with Cooler/Accusump/T-stat/LS6 Ported Oil Pump