C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropping engine/cradle -- how much weight?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 12:19 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dropping engine/cradle -- how much weight?

I'm going to drop an engine and cradle soon and all of the pieces associated with that (such as power steering). How much should I expect this thing to weigh? Will it be fine on a 660lb capacity lift table?
Old 02-28-2006, 02:38 PM
ArKay99
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by diynoob
I'm going to drop an engine and cradle soon and all of the pieces associated with that (such as power steering). How much should I expect this thing to weigh? Will it be fine on a 660lb capacity lift table?
Pretty sure a fully dressed LS1 is 459lbs. (automatic) 503lbs (manual). Not sure why the weight difference. Add the weight of the other stuff and I think you should be ok.
Don't know if you know this, but be careful of putting all that weight on the oil pan. You stand a good chance of damaging it on a table. See if you can support the engine off the pan while it's on the table. AAt least that's what it says in the manual. They have a Kent-Moore 'tool' for this, but it's like $900.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:07 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmm, I'll have to take a second look but if I recall correctly, the motor, when attached to the cradle, would not rest on the oil pan. I plan on dropping the whole cradle including the front suspension, power steering, etc.

It feels like that's cutting it awfully close -- do you think that the front cradle and power steering/etc. could possibly weigh more than 150-200lbs? The car is a manual. I am certain that a lift table rated for 660lbs could probably hold 700-750lbs without issue but I am **** about that kind of stuff and don't want to push the table over the line while lifting something important like a motor.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:39 PM
ArKay99
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been a few months since I've been under mine, if I remember correctly, which more often than not is incorrect, the pan was a little lower. Check it and maybe you can put something under the cradle if that's the case. I had my cradle off and it is surprisingly light. I dropped it on a transmission jack and when I went to take it off I lifted it so fast I almost slammed it into the bottom of the motor. I'll bet it's around 25-30lbs tops. I took the steering rack out when I did my h/c and it weighs about 25lbs. Maybe both are ~60lbs... I'm not sure what else you are taking down with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Dropping engine/cradle -- how much weight?

Quick Reply: Dropping engine/cradle -- how much weight?