C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paging C-5 Tech - "Charging System Failure"

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 10:25 AM
TaxPaid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paging C-5 Tech - "Charging System Failure"

I got this message yesterday morning after an intermittent start (my hand slipped on the key, so I got a double hit). I reset the DIC thinking it was a fluke.
Got the same message this morning. After clearing it I browsed the guages and got 11.6 battery volts...seems too low, even with the headlights on.

Drove a little later this morning w/no headlights and the voltage is running 11.4 - 11.2.

AutoTap is returning 2 codes P1637 Generator L Terminal Curcuit and P1638 Generator F Terminal Circuit.

Any ideas?

PS - Sorry about the double post. Couldn't get the text to change in the topic title.
Old 08-13-2001, 10:54 AM
bparker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Paging C-5 Tech - "Charging System Failure" (TaxPaid)

Its prolly your altenator dropping below 12.5 or peaking higher than 15.5 volts ...

BP
Old 08-13-2001, 07:40 PM
TaxPaid
Racer

Took the car to GM dealer today. They said a 5 guage fuseable link down near the starter had burned. They are mystified as to why. I have also heard rumors about a wiring related recall of Corvettes relating to the steering column, starter curcuit, etc... Anyone have any input?
Old 08-13-2001, 07:58 PM
Scruffy
Melting Slicks

I'm glad you posted this. Same thing happened to me about a week ago, but went away on the 2nd start. DIC says voltages normal and no codes set. I will keep an eye on it.
Old 08-13-2001, 08:00 PM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Glad that they got you back on the road...For a list of bulletins and recalls,check out my site...
Old 08-15-2001, 11:07 PM
TaxPaid
Racer

Default Re: Paging C-5 Tech - "Charging System Failure" (C-5 TECH)

Well, actually they don't have me back on the road...they have the car in the shop waiting for a 5 guage fuseable link. They say it is not available all the way back to the factory and is being ordered from the oem supplier. They want me to call them back next week to see if it has come in.

They also have no idea why the original burned...I'm bummed. :(
Old 08-16-2001, 10:45 AM
99HT
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fusible links and fuses can burn out at lower than rated current, if something pre-heats them. If you had a bad connection near the link that got heated up by high currents going thru it, it could cause the link to fail.

If a crimp or terminal turned resistive, pushing the current needed to turn the starter would generate a ton of heat in the resistive section.

It is a shot in the dark, but if the crimps that connects the actual fusable section of the link to it's connection wires are bad, they will be "blue" due to overheating. Cut the link open and look at it. Also check if the link was rubbing on to something that could heat it up.

You could also have an intermittant short somewhere. This would be a real PITA to find.

Get notified of new replies

To Paging C-5 Tech - "Charging System Failure"

Quick Reply: Paging C-5 Tech - "Charging System Failure"