Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Karl Chevrolet

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 03-08-2006, 09:08 PM   #1
STLBLUES
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Crank pulley/balancer bolt torque specs?

Ok my balancer slipped and moved out after a cam swap. I have the rack moved out of the way and I am ready to wrench. I need to know what the torque spec is. I have seen 200 and 250 ft lbs listed. After you torque the bolt to 250 why remove it and use a new bolt?
I followed ls1howto and torqued to 200 then installed a new bolt and torqued it to 37lbs and then marked it and turned it another 140deg. My only mistake was no locktite because the new bolt looked like it had some on it from GM.
Does the balancer spin on the crank and back the bolt out? I know someone will mention crank pinning or ARP bolt. I also know tons of people do not have this problem after cam swaps using the stock bolt only. Does anyone have a better way to go at this? Or should I just repeat my steps and loctite it?
Thanks Steve
STLBLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:40 PM   #2
gonbad
CF Senior Member

You torque the balancer back on to 250ft lbs. Then use a new bolt to 37lbs then twist 140 degrees.

Yes the balancer can spin on the crank and cause the bolt to back out.

Did you re-use your balancer? I think this is the main problem. Re-using a balancer that has already been stretched onto the crank once will not hold the same again when stretched over the snout. I would always use a new balancer whether it was stock or not. Otherwise I would pin crank. Actually if I did this again I would key the crank anyways.

I feel your pain. My stock balancer failed in the rubber section and slid into the front engine cover. It did a lot of damage. While I was in there fixing it I did a cam swap. Getting everything out of the way then fighting with the bolt was a real experience.

98 6spd, Silver coupe, Firethorn, F45, R8C, Loaded.

Mods: F4 Cam 226/226 .575/.575 LSA 112, UD Pulley, 918 Springs, Ti Retainers, Push Rods, JWIS Chain, LS6 Oil Pump, MSD Wires, NGK TR55, Stinger-R Intake, Alpine alarm. Z51 sways, Slotted Rotors, Hawk Pads, Bias Spring, SS Brake Lines, QF5, Kuhmo's,

357 RWHP and 345 RWTQ
gonbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
gonbad
CF Senior Member

You have to use a new bolt because it is a torque to yield bolt.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:13 AM   #4
jhong321
CF Senior Member

The crank bolt is suppose to strech when you torque it down. That is why you use the old bolt first. Trust me it is worth the time and money to use a old bolt. The previous owner of my car did that and it end up cost me a new motor
jhong321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:24 AM   #5
ecudooberhead
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to ecudooberhead

My UD pulley bolt backed out twice this week- yesterday it was on the dyno when it happened. Turns out you can only use those stretch bolts once

like everyone else said, tq the crap out of the original bolt to get that pulley on good and tight, then pull teh bolt, put the new stretch bolt on (with loctite!!) and tq to 37ft/lbs- then another 140degrees, and hopefully it'll stay on.
Good luck getting that steering rack out of the way- its a real PITA!
ecudooberhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:18 AM   #6
AMERICANMUSL
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES
Ok my balancer slipped and moved out after a cam swap. I have the rack moved out of the way and I am ready to wrench. I need to know what the torque spec is. I have seen 200 and 250 ft lbs listed. After you torque the bolt to 250 why remove it and use a new bolt?
I followed ls1howto and torqued to 200 then installed a new bolt and torqued it to 37lbs and then marked it and turned it another 140deg. My only mistake was no locktite because the new bolt looked like it had some on it from GM.
Does the balancer spin on the crank and back the bolt out? I know someone will mention crank pinning or ARP bolt. I also know tons of people do not have this problem after cam swaps using the stock bolt only. Does anyone have a better way to go at this? Or should I just repeat my steps and loctite it?
Thanks Steve

Been through this twice thanks to ####...pin that sucker, use new bolt and balancer to recomended specs w/red lock tight.
AMERICANMUSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
STLBLUES
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09

Ok a new balancer will be purchased this week. I do not want a underdrive because I have enough hp as it is. I have the rack moved and a new bolt in hand. I think the new balancer and locktite will get me back on the road.
Anyone make a stock size balancer thats better than gms?
Thanks, Steve
Old 03-09-2006, 08:31 PM   #8
vettenuts
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to vettenuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonbad
Did you re-use your balancer? I think this is the main problem. Re-using a balancer that has already been stretched onto the crank once will not hold the same again when stretched over the snout. I would always use a new balancer whether it was stock or not. Otherwise I would pin crank.

I installed the ATI, and the interference called for is 0.0007 - 0.0009". I don't know what the stock balancer interference fit is, but I personally believe that they should not be re-used either.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:38 PM   #9
mph1972
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via Yahoo to mph1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonbad
You torque the balancer back on to 250ft lbs. Then use a new bolt to 37lbs then twist 140 degrees.

Yes the balancer can spin on the crank and cause the bolt to back out.

Did you re-use your balancer? I think this is the main problem. Re-using a balancer that has already been stretched onto the crank once will not hold the same again when stretched over the snout. I would always use a new balancer whether it was stock or not. Otherwise I would pin crank. Actually if I did this again I would key the crank anyways.

I feel your pain. My stock balancer failed in the rubber section and slid into the front engine cover. It did a lot of damage. While I was in there fixing it I did a cam swap. Getting everything out of the way then fighting with the bolt was a real experience.

Well said!
mph1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:59 PM   #10
gonbad
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Ok a new balancer will be purchased this week. I do not want a underdrive because I have enough hp as it is. I have the rack moved and a new bolt in hand. I think the new balancer and locktite will get me back on the road.
Anyone make a stock size balancer thats better than gms?
Thanks, Steve
ATI makes a stock diameter balancer. Pricey bastard though if I remember correctly.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:32 PM   #11
kdub1
CF Senior Member

Seriously guys, you replace the balancer just because you remove it? Must be something exclusive to a Gen III or newer. I've been working on SB Chevys for 30 years and never heard of having to do that. If you remove it with a puller, what damage have you done?
kdub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:25 PM   #12
STLBLUES
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdub1
Seriously guys, you replace the balancer just because you remove it? Must be something exclusive to a Gen III or newer. I've been working on SB Chevys for 30 years and never heard of having to do that. If you remove it with a puller, what damage have you done?
The balancer is press fit with no key way. The only thing that holds it on is the bolt and a tight tolerance. I wish gm would have made it just like the old small blocks.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:41 AM   #13
AMERICANMUSL
CF Senior Member

Quote:
The balancer is press fit with no key way. The only thing that holds it on is the bolt and a tight tolerance. I wish gm would have made it just like the old small blocks.
And how!
AMERICANMUSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:25 AM   #14
kdub1
CF Senior Member

No keyway? No wonder guys are pinning the balancers. Thanks for the info.
kdub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:25 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page Crank pulley/balancer bolt torque specs?