C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active Handling Malfunction/Steering Rate Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 12:41 PM
1b4idie
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Active Handling Malfunction/Steering Rate Sensor

Recently, I've been getting the "Service Actice Handling" message on my '01 DIC. A code check gives me C1288 (?) and C1287 (steering sensor rate malfunction). The dealer's service dept. wants $500 to replace the faulty steering sensor. Any thoughts?
Old 03-11-2006, 04:09 PM
DTV
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing happen on my 01.
First I cleaned the grounds connections and steering sensor connection.
After a weeks I was still getting the codes but not as offen, so I took the two fuses out for the PCM and let the car set over night. Replaced the fuses and bingo no more codes, it been two months and now no codes.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:33 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

One of three things is happening. 1) you have a bad ground somewhere, 2) your steering wheel is rotated out of aligment (quite possible if you've recetly pulled the rack or maybe after a serious alignment, or 3) you have a bad sensor.

If you search the Archives, there are a bunch of good threads on this topic. Search "Steering wheel position Sensor" in the topic line, and you sould get a half a dozen good threads about the proper diagnosis.

I had these codes in my 01 z and checked all the voltage at the sensor which seemed to be where it should be. So I went ahead and cleaned all grounds first... Error came back. Cleaned and resat EBCM connection, and again codes came back. Finally I went to the dealer (Fred Beans) and got a new steering wheel position sensor and replaced it. Kind of a PITA job but not too bad (just be prepared to lay upside down on the floor under the cloumn for a while). Total cost was about 4 hours of time (overall) and I think it was 35-45 bucks (maybe it was more - I've bought so much crap I can't remember what I spent last week!!!) for the sensor. The sensor install took me about 2.5 hours to do. There is a link to a great set of directions here...http://www.ddisoftware.com/c5-procs/ Who ever wrote them thanks!!! They beat the hell out of the GM Manual!!!

500 bucks is probably a little steep for the replacement of the sensor, but if your not into doing your own work or you have a bad back it may be worth it. That said I would clean your grounds anyway, I found a ton of corrosion in mine and I have to think it was worth doing that step even though it didnt fix my problem. No special tools are necessary for the repair - just a little patience. Good luck!

Last edited by Mike69@ECS; 03-11-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:06 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

I just got this DIC message: Service AH Soon

Code was C1287

I cleared it and it did not come back after a little drive and restarting the car.

I have noticed the AH coming on once in awile, seemingly unnecessarily.

Car seems to drive fine.....what can happen if left alone?????

DH
Old 05-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Tiger 650
Instructor

Tonight for the first time I went through the gears on my '00 C5. Right after I backed off at only about 75mph the DIC flashed "Service Active Handling". I did notice that when I opened it up in first the back end did a very small fishtail and then straightened right out. It was after that that the message came up. The car seems to run and drive fine.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Where can I see the actual code numbers come up?
Thanks,
Bob
Old 05-01-2006, 11:44 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Mine is going into the dealer tomarrow.......see what they do/say....my code is stored in memory, even though the AH light went off after I restarted the car.

DH
Old 05-02-2006, 06:01 AM
Tiger 650
Instructor

DH, Look forward to hearing from you.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tiger 650
DH, Look forward to hearing from you.
They kept my car and I will get it back tomarrow with a new wheel sensor. I will post any extraneous info they put on my work order.

DH
Old 05-03-2006, 06:05 AM
Tiger 650
Instructor

DH,
Thanks. If you don't mind sharing the repair cost too would be interesting.
Bob
Old 05-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Here is what it says on my work order:

"Scan for codes. C1287 set in history. Sub code 87S1. Condition not present when testing. Inspect system intermitance steering wheel rotation sensor failure. Replace steering wheel rotation sensor."

They got it done the same day I brought it in.

There were no dollar amounts listed. I have an extended GMMP with a $200 deductable. So it cost me $200 which I am sure is a LOT LESS than it would have without the warantee

DH
Old 05-05-2006, 03:05 PM
2K2C5Vert
Heel & Toe

Along the same topic, I'm getting a 1287 code intermittently, but only when on the highway at over 70mph for a good length of time. There is also a slight vibration in the steering wheel at speeds above 70mph. Any way the two are connected? Out of balance front wheel? Any other thoughts/suggestions?
Old 05-05-2006, 04:14 PM
mannygmt2
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2K2C5Vert
Along the same topic, I'm getting a 1287 code intermittently, but only when on the highway at over 70mph for a good length of time. There is also a slight vibration in the steering wheel at speeds above 70mph. Any way the two are connected? Out of balance front wheel? Any other thoughts/suggestions?

got the exact same problem you describe... had the Steering position sensor replaced yesterday,... did not get a chance to pick up the car yet.. will do a follow up.

car is not under warranty, but should not be too expensive, my dealer charged 2.3hours labour, and the part. Should be under $300
Old 05-05-2006, 05:28 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mannygmt2
got the exact same problem you describe... had the Steering position sensor replaced yesterday,... did not get a chance to pick up the car yet.. will do a follow up.

car is not under warranty, but should not be too expensive, my dealer charged 2.3hours labour, and the part. Should be under $300
Someone said they paid over $500 for this job !!!

DH
Old 05-06-2006, 06:24 AM
mannygmt2
Advanced

well, i just got my car back last night.. and I am not happy at all...

They changed the SPS, and the problem is still there. I just turn on the ignition,and I get the code instantly....

not pleased at all.. i have to bring back the car on monday, i suspect that the plastic connector to the SPS itself has a loose or wire that is not making proper contact to the sensor....

dammit...
Old 05-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Tiger 650
Instructor

I'm not surprised at $500 for the job. The part alone is over $200 and that is from FredBeans. Most other dealers are alot more expensive on parts. Plus labor at around $80/hr... and sales tax.
I will always research and attempt to do things myself before I break down and take it in to what someone else on the forum called the "stealership".
Old 05-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mannygmt2

I know you left me a PM but thought others might be interested.

NO....they did not replace the connector...unless they forgot to list it which is obviously not likey.

ONLY part no. listed on work order is: 88965543
Description is: Sensor 6.522 R

DH
Old 06-07-2006, 09:43 PM
2K2C5Vert
Heel & Toe

manny,

What were your final results on this? I took mine in to the dealer. 4 wheel alignment and rebalancing of the wheels/tires. Vibration appears much better but not completely gone. And I'm still getting the 1287 code. Starting to wonder if I've got an out of balance torque tube (if that's even possible) because it's only between 75 and 85 that I get the vibration. Thoughts anyone???

Get notified of new replies

To Active Handling Malfunction/Steering Rate Sensor

Quick Reply: Active Handling Malfunction/Steering Rate Sensor