C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1515 code.... TAC performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 09:50 AM
LostCauseZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1515 code.... TAC performance

ok... so i go out to drive the car yesterday and it goes into limp mode and the throttle will not repsond. i check my DIC and it comes up with a P1515 code and also another one (cant remember which one)

its the Throttle actuator control module.. getting a performance error and also a total fault.

im guessing its obviously toast... am i going to have to replace the whole throttle body?? or does the dealership sell just the actuator?
Old 03-13-2006, 10:11 AM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The throttle actuator control module is the small black box located along side the PCM behind the right front wheel. Either this module or the throttle peddle is most likely the problem, not the throttle body. all these items are expensive, but you can find them used on Ebay...
Shirl Dickey
Old 03-13-2006, 10:28 AM
LostCauseZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by MrEracer
The throttle actuator control module is the small black box located along side the PCM behind the right front wheel. Either this module or the throttle peddle is most likely the problem, not the throttle body. all these items are expensive, but you can find them used on Ebay...
Shirl Dickey

say what/?? so its not the little black thing on the other side of the throttle body.. on the other side of the throttle position sensor??? where the plug plugs into it??
Old 03-13-2006, 10:31 AM
LostCauseZ06
Racer

P1515 Control Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance
P1516 Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Throttle Actuator Position
Performance

those are the codes it was throwing... so where is the position sensor for the throttle control module?? isnt it in the throttle body?
Old 03-13-2006, 12:51 PM
LostCauseZ06
Racer

Ttt
Old 03-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You most likely have one of the following problems:

The small sensor on the passengers side of the TB (Throttle Position sensor) is bad or the wiring harness to that sensor is bad. It is replaceable and NO you do NOT have to change the entire TB!!

The Gas Peddle position sensor (attached to the peddle linkage in the drivers foot well on the fire wall) is bad or the wiring harness to that sensor is bad.

The Throttle Actuator Control Module (TAC) (small black plastic box) which is located in the passengers fender well outboard the PCM is bad or you have a bad wiring harness to the TAC NOTE!! Any battery acid leakage can and will cause problems in this circuit. Strongly recommend removing the battery, battery tray and removing the inspection access cover in the passengers wheel well and inspecting everything under the battery for acid damage!!!

There have been C5's that have had damage on the engine compartment wiring harness that the TAC/TPS and MAF run through. Look on the drivers side of the intake. At the rear of the intake near the back of the fuel rail, you will see a black metal bracket. It is sharp and can cut that wiring harness.

Please let us know what you find.

Bill C
Old 03-13-2006, 04:02 PM
LostCauseZ06
Racer

no chance of battery acid... i have an optima red top.

im guessing that it is for sure the throttle position sensor... the two codes that it threw both mention "position" while there are two codes after it that would be thrown if the actual TAC system had failed..

the other reason i think that its the TPS is i just had my crank run into my power steering rack.. flinging power steering fluid all over the TPS sensor.

the car was running fine before we took it apart to replace the power steering rack... therfore i think that the fluid has just soaked into the sensor and ruined it.. i just bought a new one and will be replacing it later today.. ill post up and let you guys know in the morning..
Old 03-15-2006, 06:51 PM
LostCauseZ06
Racer

well... took the battery out and the tray... no leakage at all.. checked the wiring and didnt notice any kinks or cracks in any of it or any wear and tear... i replaced the TPS sensor today and it still didnt fix the problem... its still throwing the code and i dont know what to do.... any ideas ?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:10 PM
LostCauseZ06
Racer

talked to my buddy at the dealership... he said he thinks it might by my battery??? it started making a wierd clicking/computer modem sounding noise today... he said he thinks my batter is bad and causing all sorts of gremlins... which makes sense... the battery was dead when we tried to fire the car up.. we had to jump start it and let the alternator charge her up..
Old 03-15-2006, 11:59 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If your battery is at all questionable,,,rip it out and get a new one!!

BC
Old 03-16-2006, 08:14 AM
LostCauseZ06
Racer

got a new battery last night... optima yellow top instead of the red top... those buggers are expensive!!

still didnt fix the problem...
Old 03-16-2006, 09:37 AM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

There are three components in the throttle control system that can cause this problem. The throttle position sensor (which you replaced), the TAC module and the throttle peddle assembly plus the harnesses connected to these components. You can replace the next item on the list or you can take it to a dealer and test it with a Tech 2 and it will pinpoint the problem...
Shirl Dickey
Old 03-16-2006, 01:08 PM
LostCauseZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by MrEracer
There are three components in the throttle control system that can cause this problem. The throttle position sensor (which you replaced), the TAC module and the throttle peddle assembly plus the harnesses connected to these components. You can replace the next item on the list or you can take it to a dealer and test it with a Tech 2 and it will pinpoint the problem...
Shirl Dickey

what is a tech 2???
Old 03-16-2006, 08:08 PM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

The Tech 2 is a diagnostic tool that all dealerships have. It can talk to your cars various computers and identify electrical problems. I would like to have one but they cost about $3000.
Shirl
Old 03-17-2006, 10:37 AM
LostCauseZ06
Racer

PROBLEM FIXED!!!!!

took apart my throttle body... opened i tup and was disgusted to see it filled with rust in where the gears are at... all clumped up and HORRIBLE looking....

cleaned it up... got it looking sweet and cleaned it up and it works AWESOME!!! while i was in there i decided to give it a reallyy sweet port job.. busted out the die grinder and it is SWEET!!!

thanks for the help everyone

Get notified of new replies

To P1515 code.... TAC performance

Quick Reply: P1515 code.... TAC performance