C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction Control and ABS Lights ON

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 06:14 PM
MikeTennent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Traction Control and ABS Lights ON

My Traction Control and ABS light are on. I am sure this is telling me they are not working. I have checked out my DTC for codes and have found none. Any ideas? What do I need to do to fix the problem? Hate to take it to a dealer!

Mike
Old 04-06-2006, 09:08 AM
2kbluestreak
Burning Brakes

I had this once after working on the rear brakes and accidently brushed one of the wheel speed sensor wires. The electrical connector was still attached and looked OK, but was not making good electical contact. So, I went back and pushed the connector firmly together. This solved the problem. You should do the same with all four wheels: fairly quick and easy to do compared to visiting the stealership.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:41 PM
REDEVIL
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kbluestreak
I had this once after working on the rear brakes and accidently brushed one of the wheel speed sensor wires. The electrical connector was still attached and looked OK, but was not making good electical contact. So, I went back and pushed the connector firmly together. This solved the problem. You should do the same with all four wheels: fairly quick and easy to do compared to visiting the stealership.
While you're at it, you might try applying some dielectric grease to the connections. I was getting the same lights a few weeks ago (LR wheel speed sensor code), I put some dielectric grease in the connector and the code has not returned.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:26 PM
dwjz06
Dogface

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Originally Posted by MikeTennent
My Traction Control and ABS light are on. I am sure this is telling me they are not working. I have checked out my DTC for codes and have found none. Any ideas? What do I need to do to fix the problem? Hate to take it to a dealer!

Mike
Mike,

If you can't get the lights to go off you may have the problem I had in my 02Z06. It was called the EBCM or Electronic Brake Control Module. I did have a code, but could reset that. I confirmed this at the dealer with a tech II when I could no longer clear it and this was the module that had to be replaced. Good Luck! Don
Old 04-06-2006, 02:44 PM
curvete
Intermediate

Ya, me too!

Both warning lights were on. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the EBCM for $750. Lights were back on the next week. Took it back and they said the new module was bad and replaced it free. Lights back on again after a week. Took it back in again. They couldn't find the problem, then consulted the factory. They said it was another module that cost $2500. The dealer "plead my case" with them and they allowed a one time customer courtesy replacement, but no more allowances on this particular problem. Good luck. Intermittant electrical problems are the worst!!!
Old 04-06-2006, 03:29 PM
MikeTennent
Instructor

Default What I am Going to do...

I will 1st check all the connections and at the same time try the dielectric grease. My "Shop" manuals say it is probably the EBCM but I want to try everything else before I buy one of them. The manuals says the lights with no codes is a bad EBCM.

Thanks to all for the suggestions...Mike
Old 04-06-2006, 03:37 PM
C502
Intermediate

Default Ebcm

Originally Posted by curvete
Ya, me too!

Both warning lights were on. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the EBCM for $750. Lights were back on the next week. Took it back and they said the new module was bad and replaced it free. Lights back on again after a week. Took it back in again. They couldn't find the problem, then consulted the factory. They said it was another module that cost $2500. The dealer "plead my case" with them and they allowed a one time customer courtesy replacement, but no more allowances on this particular problem. Good luck. Intermittant electrical problems are the worst!!!
Have you had any more problems with the EBCM? What year is you vette? What module did the dealership charge $2500.00 for? I am having the same issue. I have cleaned grounds, and connections, including the connection for the EBCM. Everything is fine for a couple of weeks, and then the service lights return.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:01 PM
MikeTennent
Instructor

Default Fixed the Probelm, I think...

I disconnect all connections to the ABS, there are two connections on each wheel. I put dielectric grease on each connection. I did not reset the computer as I wanted to see if the lights would go out on their own. After about 20 minutes of driving, the lights went out. I believe the computer must do a diagostic type check of the multiple systems every few minutes.

Any way lights are gone. I also used the switch to turn off/ on the Traction Control and it worked.

Thanks to one and all for advise/ help.

Semper Fi

Mike
Old 04-10-2006, 11:50 AM
REDEVIL
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I disconnect all connections to the ABS, there are two connections on each wheel. I put dielectric grease on each connection. I did not reset the computer as I wanted to see if the lights would go out on their own. After about 20 minutes of driving, the lights went out. I believe the computer must do a diagostic type check of the multiple systems every few minutes.

Any way lights are gone. I also used the switch to turn off/ on the Traction Control and it worked.

Semper Fi

Mike
Excellent. I love it when a plan comes together.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:30 PM
FASST LN
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ever try stomping on the brakes to see if the ABS will engage?

It seems weird that the lights are on but no codes are being thrown.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:55 PM
C502
Intermediate

Default Dielectric Grease

Semper Fi

Mike
Did you put the dielectric grease directly on the male, and female
connections, or around the edges of the connections? I have
cleaned a lot of grounds, and connections with contact cleaner.
Since doing this my ABS service lights have only come on a couple of times in the last thirty plus driving cycles. Will applying dielectric
grease directly on the contacts of the connection damage the
contact? My DTC code is 1214 for the EBCM.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:39 PM
bwarren99
4th Gear

Default Bob

Last week my ABS and Traction control lights both came on in my 2001. It happened in a shopping mall parking lot. Two things had just happened. I drove over some speed bumps and through a puddle of water. I came home and joined the "Corvette Forum" to see if anybody else had this problem. From what I read, it appeared to be caused by a speed senor wire. By making sure the connection is secure and applying some dielectric grease, the problem may go away. I was wondering if the dielectric grease would keep the connection from getting wet. If that were the case, perhaps my driving through the puddle caused the problem and it would fix itself after it dried out. Sure enough, the next day I drove the car, the lights were off.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:46 AM
yellowvette837
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03 thru'19
Tampa Events Princess
2015 C6 of Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Well it seems you fixed your lights. but you may still have to replace the EBCM later...
Originally Posted by dwjz06
Mike,

If you can't get the lights to go off you may have the problem I had in my 02Z06. It was called the EBCM or Electronic Brake Control Module. I did have a code, but could reset that. I confirmed this at the dealer with a tech II when I could no longer clear it and this was the module that had to be replaced. Good Luck! Don

EBCM Just had this replaced on my 02, since I had the same issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Traction Control and ABS Lights ON

Quick Reply: Traction Control and ABS Lights ON