C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

telescopic steering column motor not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 12:58 AM
94legaleagle
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default telescopic steering column motor not working

I've got a 2001 Coupe w/ the memory seat package.

I needed to replace my telescopic steering ACTUATOR (not the motor). Prior to replacing the actuator, I disconnected the drive cable that goes from the telescopic steering motor to the actuator, and at this time the motor worked fine, because I used it to make sure my NEW actuator worked - my new actuator worked and so did the telescopic steering motor at that time. This was done w/ BOTH seats IN the vehicle.

I then tore the interior apart (other projects and other mods) and I replaced the telescopic steering ACTUATOR - the new actuator is bolted in place and the wire is connected - BOTH seats are NOW REMOVED from the car, and neither seat is wired in place.

Problem is, now NOTHING happens when I use the switch on the steering column (in / out switch) to activate the telescopic steering motor! I've tried clicking the switch billions of times in each direction, I've tapped/hit the telescopic steering motor to see if it was stuck and could be jarred loose, and nothing happens.

I'm wondering, first what fuse number is for the telescopic steering column motor, and is that fuse in the engine compartment or pass footwell? I'll check that first.

SECOND question - for the telescopic steering column motor to work/function, do I have to have the seats wired into the car in order to complete some circuit or something? I'm wondering if maybe the steering wheel telescopic motor quit working due to the seats being removed and something to do w/ the memory package?

Anything else I should check before I admit defeat and ATTEMPT to replace the motor?

I've got a new telescopic steering wheel MOTOR on hand, but I DON'T want to replace it - the actuator was slightly difficult to replace w/ the steering column in the car, and the steering wheel MOTOR looks like an absolute Beeoutch to replace with the column in the car, if it is even possible to do so.

Your thoughts and help are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks, Bill.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:02 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by 94legaleagle
I've got a 2001 Coupe w/ the memory seat package.
...BOTH seats are NOW REMOVED from the car, and neither seat is wired in place.
Problem is, now NOTHING happens when I use the switch on the steering column (in / out switch) to activate the telescopic steering motor! ...
Your thoughts and help are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks, Bill.
Bill,
Put the Driver's seat in the car and plug it in... I think you'll find that everything works. The memory function does require the seat to be connected to work, it works throught the module under the seat.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 04-10-2006, 11:26 AM
mrC5er
Racer

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
Bill,
Put the Driver's seat in the car and plug it in... I think you'll find that everything works. The memory function does require the seat to be connected to work, it works throught the module under the seat.

Good luck... GUSTO
Did the same thing myself. Connect the seat back in, and the column will work again.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:09 PM
94legaleagle
Melting Slicks

Whew!!! FYI, I PM'd Bill Curlee and he said the same thing - put the seat back in, try it, and it should work - I'll do that, and I will post the results

I thought that might be the problem, but I wasn't sure - and I want to make sure everything IS working BEFORE I put the lower dash back together.

Thanks, I'll post results.

Bill.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:44 AM
94legaleagle
Melting Slicks

FYI update - I put the drivers seat back in and connected its electrical connections - the steering wheel telescopic motor works good as new, and my steering wheel now retracts in and out. COOL.

Thanks, Bill Curlee, for the assistance.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:29 PM
dabsplaza
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98, roadster, 6spd with memory. My telescopic steering column does not work (ie doesn't retract when I take the key out of the ignition). Any ideas???? Should I check fuses, if so which ones???
Thanks.....
Old 04-13-2006, 09:56 PM
94legaleagle
Melting Slicks

I'm not sure - PM Bill Curlee - he is the electrical guru of the board - if it's electrical related, he's the expert and he's your man!

Get notified of new replies

To telescopic steering column motor not working

Quick Reply: telescopic steering column motor not working