Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Karl Chevrolet

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 04-17-2006, 01:39 AM   #1
NVR BRNG
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to NVR BRNG
Default Resetting Theft Deterrent system with "hot" reset technique (pulling fuse w/ key ON)

Just got my car out of the shop yesterday after hi-po clutch & 3.90s.

It started up fine yesterday, but today it would not start. The motor turns over and wants to start but it's as if there's no fuel / ignition.

I suspected the theft deterrent system somehow got triggered, so I tried all the usual fixes, but still the motor won't start.

Can the theft deterrent system be reset using the "hot" reset technique: turning key ON, and removing / replacing the appropriate fuse?

I checked the owners manual and can't ID the correct fuse for the theft deterrent system, and a friend said to avoid doing a "hot" reset.

Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks.
NVR BRNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:21 AM   #2
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVR BRNG
Just got my car out of the shop yesterday after hi-po clutch & 3.90s.

It started up fine yesterday, but today it would not start. The motor turns over and wants to start but it's as if there's no fuel / ignition.

I suspected the theft deterrent system somehow got triggered, so I tried all the usual fixes, but still the motor won't start.

Can the theft deterrent system be reset using the "hot" reset technique: turning key ON, and removing / replacing the appropriate fuse?

I checked the owners manual and can't ID the correct fuse for the theft deterrent system, and a friend said to avoid doing a "hot" reset.

Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks.
The theft deterrent system kills the starter, ignition and fuel. So if the starter is turning the motor over it isn't a theft deterrent problem. As far as I know there is no way to override the system. It wouldn't be much of a system (and it is one of the best on the market) if you could override it.

Bill
Bill Dearborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:32 AM   #3
NVR BRNG
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to NVR BRNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The theft deterrent system kills the starter, ignition and fuel. So if the starter is turning the motor over it isn't a theft deterrent problem. As far as I know there is no way to override the system. It wouldn't be much of a system (and it is one of the best on the market) if you could override it.

Bill
Ok, thanks. I've got no codes, the starter turns over the engine and it sounds like it wants to start, then it immediately dies.

I have an Exide Orbital battery that is at full charge.

I can hear what sounds like the fuel pump priming when I turn the key to the ON position.

What else can I check to troubleshoot this Turn-Over / No-Start problem?
NVR BRNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:32 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page Resetting Theft Deterrent system with "hot" reset technique (pulling fuse w/ key ON)

Tags
1995, 1999, 2008, c4, c5, c6, corvette, deterrent, fuses, involved, reset, resetting, system, theft, troubleshoot