C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help. Horn is blasting continuously while car is in the garage (and it wont stop !)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Mirek
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Help. Horn is blasting continuously while car is in the garage (and it wont stop !)

One long continuous horn blast that will not stop !! Came out of the blue this morning. Have not driven car in a day and I'm sitting here and it starts blasting. Car has been in locked garage for over a day. I tried using the FOB to stop it. No luck. Key in the door. No luck. Started the car and shut it off still kept blasting (one LONG continuous BLAST) finally disconnected the battery terminal and it stopped. Reconnected it and it started blasting again ! Guys what the hell is going on thank god I was home when this happened ! How can this be prevented?
Old 04-23-2006, 10:00 AM
slolane
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08 & '12

I never had this happen but you could take one of the lead wires off the horn that should stop the horn.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:04 AM
Mirek
Burning Brakes

Thanks bro. Will do. I hope they are accessible. What a nightmare.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:06 AM
Villain
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once I tried using my fob to unlock my doors and it didn't work. I got inside and checked the codes and found the usual LDCM and RDCM codes displayed for loss of communication. I cleared the codes and tried the fob again and it worked.
All of that is to say, check your codes and clear anything in the DIC. See if the horn stops. Worth a try.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:06 AM
bglmn
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not for nothing, but I pulled the wires on both my horns, as well as
the aftermarket alarm horn, a long time ago.

I wished I had a horn the other day at an automatic turnpike toll booth,
but to me, it's not worth it. I'd die of embarrassment if those freakin'
horns went off in the middle of the night.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Mirek
Burning Brakes

It was embarrasing. thank god i was home.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Face
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mirek
It was embarrasing. thank god i was home.
I've seen this topic come up a few times and I laugh off my *** off every time I see it. Best of luck resolving the issue, I know I'd drive around with my head as low as possible until I got my car in the garage.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:03 PM
quimbo
Drifting

If im not mistaken there is a relay for the horns. Try to find the relay the contacts may be fused together its worth a shot.

QUIMBO
Old 04-23-2006, 12:04 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Face
I've seen this topic come up a few times and I laugh off my *** off every time I see it. Best of luck resolving the issue, I know I'd drive around with my head as low as possible until I got my car in the garage.
I just giggled a bit thinking the same thing as Mike said.

I can't imagine if that happened at 1 a.m. and everyone here was asleep! I'd probably be thrown out the window LOL

Sorry to hear it, good luck solving the problem.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

The horn switch is located in the steering wheel, which is an expensive part since it's incorporated into the airbag setup.

The fuse box in the engine compartment near the battery is where you can pull the fuse for the horn and clean the prongs.

There's also a horn relay in the under-hood fuse panel. There are others of the same type which you can swap to determine if it's the relay.

You can replace the steering wheel/airbag with an aftermarket product by ATI Performance, or you can call Fred Beans for a factory airbag quote @ 610 495 1800. A factory airbag is approx. $500 for the part and labor to install is approx. $125.00.

It's a start - good luck.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Mirek
Burning Brakes

Man the more I learn about the problems these cars have the more depressed I get. It really is alot. ANybody know which fuse to pull...I cant find my manual (of course). Hopefully I can just pull the fuse and not have a horn. Hopefully that does not screw anything up or toss a code. Anyway anybody know which one is the horn fuse ?
Old 04-23-2006, 01:05 PM
1998 GTR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can be either the horn relay (in the fusebox under the hood), or the horn membrane covering the airbag. I would try swapping the horn relay with one of the other relays (w/same part#) in the fusebox. The fusebox lid has a diagram that will tell you which one is the horn relay. If the swap doesn't do it, then you know it's the membrane.

Here's a thread with some good info . . .

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=horn+relay

Good luck!

Dave
Old 04-23-2006, 01:13 PM
Mirek
Burning Brakes

Pulled the fuse. Thanks for all the help guys it is very much appreciated.
Not I do not have a horn !
Old 04-23-2006, 01:23 PM
1998 GTR
Drifting

Man the more I learn about the problems these cars have the more depressed I get. It really is alot. ANybody know which fuse to pull...I cant find my manual (of course). Hopefully I can just pull the fuse and not have a horn. Hopefully that does not screw anything up or toss a code. Anyway anybody know which one is the horn fuse ?
In reality these cars have no more problems than any other car. It's just that this forum is such a large community that we see ALL the problems EVERYBODY has. If you're driving a Ford Taurus and have a problem, you tend to think that's the only problem the car has because there is no community that shares their experiences.

So don't let the wealth of information available here make you think that the C5 has more problems than other cars. To the contrary, feel very fortunate that there is such a well-connected community of people who are willing to share their experiences and knowledge. I've gained an enormous amount of knowledge about my car thanks to all the great people on this forum! . . . And I've saved lots of $$$ that would have otherwise gone to some "stealership". Like I said, you just don't get that with most other cars. IMO one of the best things about owning a C5 has been the other C5 owners!

Dave
Old 04-23-2006, 01:32 PM
1998 GTR
Drifting

Pulled the fuse. Thanks for all the help guys it is very much appreciated.
Not I do not have a horn !
You're checking the relay too, right? The relay is not the same (or even similar to) a fuse. A relay is a switch that is electromagnetically activated. As such, the switch can stick (the contact points can get fused together). By swapping it out with one of the other relays in the fusebox (w/same part#) . . . Make sure you put the horn fuse back in . . . You can see if it fixes the stuck horn issue. If it does, then just go buy a new relay (fairly cheap). If the horn still sticks, then you know your membrane is bad.

Not sure I was clear in earlier post.

Dave
Old 04-23-2006, 02:24 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 982 Likes on 625 Posts

sometimes the horn itself will ground out, it could be just that, try swapping a different horn in also
Old 04-23-2006, 08:39 PM
killer-beez
Navigator

Could this problem be related in some way? I was standing beside my C5 and the horn honked once and quit. The FOB was not pushed and was out in the open. I was also driving and it honked once by itself. Other symtoms are telescoping steering wheel does not always come out with this insertion of key(set to telescope always), windows wont AUTO down all the time(set to AUTO always) and interior lights flicker. All of this is intermitting of course. Dealer found no codes. Gremlin???

Get notified of new replies

To Help. Horn is blasting continuously while car is in the garage (and it wont stop !)

Old 04-23-2006, 09:44 PM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998 GTR
In reality these cars have no more problems than any other car. It's just that this forum is such a large community that we see ALL the problems EVERYBODY has. If you're driving a Ford Taurus and have a problem, you tend to think that's the only problem the car has because there is no community that shares their experiences.

So don't let the wealth of information available here make you think that the C5 has more problems than other cars. To the contrary, feel very fortunate that there is such a well-connected community of people who are willing to share their experiences and knowledge. I've gained an enormous amount of knowledge about my car thanks to all the great people on this forum! . . . And I've saved lots of $$$ that would have otherwise gone to some "stealership". Like I said, you just don't get that with most other cars. IMO one of the best things about owning a C5 has been the other C5 owners!

Dave
Old 04-24-2006, 11:08 AM
greg_nate
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't read the other responses yet, so this might be repeat info. If the battery is going low, it could cause this. I had the same thing happen to me. Alarm went off for no reason. Then the next day, the car wouldn't start.

I think it has something to do with the alarm system seeing a low voltage condition. I replaced my battery and all was fine. FYI, this was on a new '04, with less than 12 months on the battery. Got it replaced under warranty.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:02 AM
GTENIT
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

My Buddy Sent Me This Post To Make Sure I Would See It. I Think Aloha Is Right On The Money About Air Bag. Mine Went Off On Its Own Twice And The Second Time It Fried The Horns Yes There Is Two And They Are Around $100.00
I Was Lucky And Havent Had To Buy An Air Bag I Know A Mecanic That Used To Work At Chevy He Gave Me The Bad News. He Said Didn't Wont To Take Air Bag Out To Get To The Switch Afraid It Might Screw Something Up- Any Way He Took Apart And Fixed It And Still Working. So If It Is The Swithc It Might Be Able To Be Fixed
By They Way Im Glad To See My Vett Is Not The Only One Possesed

Quick Reply: Help. Horn is blasting continuously while car is in the garage (and it wont stop !)