C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Techron Fuel System Cleaner...is This A Bad Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 08:12 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Techron Fuel System Cleaner...is This A Bad Idea?

Lately, my car has been having CHECK GUAGES lights coming on, the car has a half a tank of gas in it and it just shows a "LOW FUEL" on the DIC. I do not have any CHEVRONs in the Charleston area and few SHELL stations too, so I have been running the CHEVRON Techron Fuel System cleaners more often to try and keep the fuel system working properly.

Would it be a problem to run this in every tank? I mainly run CITGO or SUNOCO gas 93 octane only.

Thanks,

Micah
Old 05-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Bob Chapman
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

In my experience one container usually clears the problem with the fuel gage. I try and add Techron every oil change and it seems to take care or things.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:31 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I think that my fuel snding unit is going.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:36 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

80% of all the Gm techs use and recommend Techron fuel additive...
Old 05-21-2006, 09:32 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Thanks ET, but should I do it more often than every 3K miles?
Old 05-21-2006, 09:41 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by mph1972
Thanks ET, but should I do it more often than every 3K miles?
The problem is two fold.. one is the amount of sulfur in the gas you buy...the other is the contact plate on your sender.. the sulfur wants to stick to this plate, using an 8 dollar bottle of Techron is not the way to go.. Gas is expensive enough.... but adding another 8 dollars on top of a 75 dollar fill up is not good..
I would try to change brands of gas. with two back to back Techron fills. no more than 1 oz per gallon.... you can also look into removing the sender and cleaning it... actually scrubbing down the contact plate.
There is really no need for a new sender.. if you are going to take out the old one, you might as well just take it out and clean it..
Old 05-21-2006, 09:51 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

The problem is two fold.. one is the amount of sulfur in the gas you buy...the other is the contact plate on your sender.. the sulfur wants to stick to this plate, using an 8 dollar bottle of Techron is not the way to go.. Gas is expensive enough.... but adding another 8 dollars on top of a 75 dollar fill up is not good..
I would try to change brands of gas. with two back to back Techron fills. no more than 1 oz per gallon.... you can also look into removing the sender and cleaning it... actually scrubbing down the contact plate.
There is really no need for a new sender.. if you are going to take out the old one, you might as well just take it out and clean it..
Well, from what I have seen, removing the sender is not a small job. I am going to try Shell and I am heading South of here and there are Chevrons available, so I really look forward to that.

With the sender being dirty does the range provided on the DIC still provide an accurate reading? I try to keep the car above 1/2 tank, but I really think that the car has much more gas in it, just don't want to run out is all.

I appreciate the help on this.

Micah
Old 05-21-2006, 10:30 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by mph1972
Well, from what I have seen, removing the sender is not a small job. I am going to try Shell and I am heading South of here and there are Chevrons available, so I really look forward to that.

With the sender being dirty does the range provided on the DIC still provide an accurate reading? I try to keep the car above 1/2 tank, but I really think that the car has much more gas in it, just don't want to run out is all.

I appreciate the help on this.

Micah
If the plate has sulfer build up the readings can be innacurate.. the sweap can hit a spot where there is enogh sulfer to give you a low fuel reading even with a full tank..Yes it is a job to remove to clean, but I only threw that out there because you like to do things yourself... it is actually better to allow your tank to go low, this allows the sweap to hit all parts of the plate.. while using the techron.. problem with that is as it get low, you could run out of gas.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:57 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

If the plate has sulfer build up the readings can be innacurate.. the sweap can hit a spot where there is enogh sulfer to give you a low fuel reading even with a full tank..Yes it is a job to remove to clean, but I only threw that out there because you like to do things yourself... it is actually better to allow your tank to go low, this allows the sweap to hit all parts of the plate.. while using the techron.. problem with that is as it get low, you could run out of gas.
Yeah, running out of gas would be bad.

Well, I will just have to set my trip to 0 and run about 300 miles on a tank and hope for the best.

Last edited by mph1972; 05-21-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:15 PM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Sea Foam. get it at Auto Zone. Works like a charm. Add the Sea Foam AT the gas station and fill up at the same time. I have heard that it is so strong that it could eat thru weak seals in the fuel fill up hoses if you just pour it in and don't wash it down with fuel.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:38 AM
vetred
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-22-2006, 12:42 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Since you don't have Chevron or many Shell, do you have any of these other gas retailers in your area?
www.toptiergas.com
Old 05-22-2006, 02:48 AM
Jim M
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by wamara
Since you don't have Chevron or many Shell, do you have any of these other gas retailers in your area?
www.toptiergas.com
Isn't it interesting that Exxon/Mobil, the largest oil company (I believe), doesn't meet top tier requirements. You'd think with all of their billions in profits they could see fit to meet the requirements.

Jim M
Old 05-22-2006, 10:51 AM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

After 5 years with no problems, I had one fillup where the fuel gauge had a hard time rising to the F mark - it's usually instantaneous. This was after a few months of using Sunoco for the first time - the rest of the car's life was on Shell. I can't say the Sunoco was the problem (Shell has had sulfur content problems in some US regions).

I had used Redline Complete Fuel System cleaner before and after one treatment I have not had any fuel system problems since. I've used this stuff about once a year since I've had the car - it's a good system cleaner that's safe on emission system components like O2 sensors and seals. It's an alternative to Techron, which is also a very good additive.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

i use it every 3000 miles.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:41 PM
yankeevetteconvert
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Costco sells a 4-pack of Techron fuel injecton cleaner for $9.75. It works grat in my vert. I put a bottle in at each oil change. At this price you can afford to put it in more frequently if you need to.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:16 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Any Texaco stations in your area?? The local stations here are advertising Techron as part of their additives.

Get notified of new replies

To Techron Fuel System Cleaner...is This A Bad Idea?

Old 05-22-2006, 08:06 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Well, I got some of the SEA FOAM and I even called the manufacture out in MN and had a great talk with the TECH about this product, which seems to be a GREAT product. I bought two bottles and I just added one today and I am going to run this through and then add another and see what happens. I was told that I can run it as often as I want, but it is not necessary, just do it as most do with TECHRON, once every oil change is fine.

I will keep you guys posted! Thanks triblk6spd!
Old 05-22-2006, 09:43 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Anyone use the Redline S-1 Fuel Injector Cleaner? I find a bottle at every oil change keeps everything nice & tidy.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Nav Vet
Instructor

I only use gas from dealers that meet the TopTier standard when formulating their gasolines.

Most gasoline manufactures onlt meet Federal standards for putting cleaning agents in their gas...but some companies have formulated their gas based on auto manufactures suggestions.

Check it out at http://www.toptiergas.com/

Quick Reply: Techron Fuel System Cleaner...is This A Bad Idea?