C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Cross Threaded One of my Lug Nuts - Need Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001, 10:19 PM
MICHIGANZO6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Cross Threaded One of my Lug Nuts - Need Help Please!

I decided to check the torque on my lug nuts today since I hadn't done it since I took delivery of the car. To my surprise and :mad , I found that the locking lug nut on one of the rear wheels was cross threaded, and wasn't even in contact with the wheel. Instead of fixing it before delivering the car to me, the joker who prepped my car apparently just put the decorative cap on the lug nut figuring the new owner wouldn't catch it. I was able to get the locking lug nut off, but now the threads on the stud are damaged for the first 1/4 or 3/8 of an inch.

As far as I see it, I have two options.
1. I can use a thread chaser to try and cut some new threads into the damaged part of the stud (there is about 1/2" of good threads that exist near the wheel grip area).
2. I can install a new stud. Undoubtedly this would be the preferred option, but since I've never done this before I'm wondering how difficult it would be.

Any recommendation on the steps necessary to replace the stud would be greatly appreciated!

[Modified by MICHIGANZO6, 9:44 PM 8/25/2001]
Old 08-25-2001, 11:41 PM
RonWhite
Pro

Default Re: Dealer Cross Threaded One of my Lug Nuts - Need Help Please! (MICHIGANZO6)

Option 3! Go to the dealer and make them fix it!
Old 08-26-2001, 02:51 AM
ebowtie
Intermediate

Default Re: Dealer Cross Threaded One of my Lug Nuts - Need Help Please! (MICHIGANZO6)

Find a NEW DEALER!!
Old 08-26-2001, 10:26 AM
DUKE
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Dealer Cross Threaded One of my Lug Nuts - Need Help Please! (ebowtie)

Now this is the kind of thing that makes you want to slap somebody into the middle of next week :mad
Option #3a....Go to dealer and stand over them like a chicken hawk while they replace the stud, making sure they don't figure out how to screw up something else.

[Modified by DUKE, 8:27 AM 8/26/2001]
Old 08-26-2001, 10:30 AM
Son93SL2
Team Owner

Agreed with these guys, make the dealer fix it!!! Pronto
Old 08-26-2001, 06:46 PM
C5TECH
Pro

Default Re: Dealer Cross Threaded One of my Lug Nuts - Need Help Please! (Son93SL2)

Replace the stud. Talk to the Service Manager and mention your "safety-liabilty" concerns. That should do it. When you get the dealer survey be sure to outline this. You should get a call from GM. The customer is the only one who can/try to keep the dealer in line.
Old 08-26-2001, 11:59 PM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Dealer Cross Threaded One of my Lug Nuts - Need Help Please! (RonWhite)

Option 3! Go to the dealer and make them fix it!
Duh!

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer Cross Threaded One of my Lug Nuts - Need Help Please!

Quick Reply: Dealer Cross Threaded One of my Lug Nuts - Need Help Please!