C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[RANT] AMW (maker of the PCV Catch Can) = BAD SERVICE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 08:35 PM
97C5ENVY
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default [RANT] AMW (maker of the PCV Catch Can) = BAD SERVICE!

I ordered their PCV Oil Catch Can ($160 + Tax + UPS shipping = $181) last Monday morning (May 22, 2006) via their website, which claimed to ship 2-3 days from reciept of order. I was hoping to get it by the weekend so i could install it, but figured that might be pushing it so i wasn't really expecting it that soon. Anyway Tuesday (May 30th) came and still no package, no tracking number, not even an order confirmation email. So i called them up around noon on Tuesday to see where my order stood. The first lady who anwsered the phone couldn't help me so she passed the phone to another lady who put me on hold for almost 5 minutes (this was a long distance call), who returned to tell me that my order hasn't been processed yet. WTF! I asked her why? and she said that orders don't ship out on weekends. I told her i placed the order last Monday, eight days ago. And she said "orders don't ship out on the weekends. I was like "HELLO" Monday isn't a weekend. Then she told me the very same thing "Orders don't ship out on weekends". So i was like whatever, i could tell that i wasn't getting through to this person. Heck I was about to ask her if she graduated from A&M. But i didn't. She then proceeded to give me a UPS tracking number and said that my order will go out that night, and that it would only be a one day delivery since they are only 1.5 hours away. Within 10 minutes of getting off the phone with AMW i got two emails - one was an order confirmation email, and the other was a UPS tracking number which stated "May 31, 2006" as the scheduled delivery date. Well guess what it's May 31st and still no package. As of 7:15pm CST the UPS website shows that shipping info had been transmitted to UPS from AMW, but doesn't show any package pickup, or any package in transit.

Is it me or does AMW need some CS training? Anyone else have a similar experiance with AMW?

Sorry for the rant.....just had to vent.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:07 PM
Hoichi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to place an order but after on my 3rd phone call (one unreturned; another to voicemail and finally, when I got through...well they said sorry, we just sold the last bracket for the C5 can ten minutes earlier) I realized they thought they were doing me a favor by taking my order. I decided no thanks...
Old 05-31-2006, 09:16 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Glad I bought mine from a forum member.....

DH
Old 06-01-2006, 12:26 AM
allmee
Racer

I will be selling mine on this forum as soon as I can make a homemade one that actually catches the oil! Mine is'nt doing didly! My compressor catch can, minus the fiter, is catching all the oil. I wasted $180
Old 06-01-2006, 12:39 AM
NJ Vette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking of installing a catch~can....

But instead, I think I will put the $180 that I would have spent, towards a set of mesh screens, and I will still have plenty of beer money left over....

Thanks guys.......
Old 06-01-2006, 01:05 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by allmee
I will be selling mine on this forum as soon as I can make a homemade one that actually catches the oil! Mine is'nt doing didly! My compressor catch can, minus the fiter, is catching all the oil. I wasted $180
I empty oil out of mine every week

I have a couple of prospective buyers for you.....drop me a PM

DH
Old 06-01-2006, 01:05 AM
allmee
Racer

Originally Posted by NJ Vette Guy
I was thinking of installing a catch~can....

But instead, I think I will put the $180 that I would have spent, towards a set of mesh screens, and I will still have plenty of beer money left over....

Thanks guys.......
Now you're talkin
Old 06-01-2006, 01:10 AM
allmee
Racer

The oil catch can is a must, I believe, but the AMW is not worth the $ by any means. The concept of the thing is pretty basic & I should have not been so lazy.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:03 AM
OMG
Team Owner

Question. Do I need one?

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:34 AM
screw991le
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

First off $180 for a catch can is a joke.

Make your own for around $25

Return it and get your own
Old 06-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Hoichi
Instructor

I don't want to hijack the thread but my understanding from several other threads was to use the Campbell Hausfield oil separator from a compressor and then reverse its direction (leave the filter element in) for best effect. Is this correct?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

My AMW catch can works great! I have to empty it every so often - especially after a track event (HPDE/TT). Fortunately, I purchased mine when they were selling for $80. I would have a hard time buying one for $160 too- but they do work if installed properly.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:15 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow $160 and they can't even keep them in stock??? Someone is getting very wealthy on these things. I used the Campbell Hausfeld separator from Wal-Mart $8 + $6 for 3/8" hose and clamps. No mounting clamps are necessary. I try to keep weight down since GM spent a lot of money to keep these cars light as possible. That AMW weighs a lot compared the CH separator. Its even lighter on the wallet!
Now if I could lose 20 lbs around the waist that would be great.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:55 PM
SpeedyZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by screw991le
First off $180 for a catch can is a joke.

Make your own for around $25

Return it and get your own

I wanted one of these way back but they were out. I kept looking at their site every day for months until they were back in stock. As soon as they were back in stock I ordered on and didn't even look at the price. I later found out they doubled the price so I called and told them to keep it! I'm sure they were making money on them at $80 so I think they are just screwing everyone with the Vette tax. They seem to be nice cans but $80 is pretty high for a can, and I think $160 is really high for a can!
Old 06-01-2006, 02:13 PM
screw991le
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Also, If you do not want to make your own, just check e-bay. The nice shinny cans are around 20 bucks.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:21 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by screw991le
Also, If you do not want to make your own, just check e-bay. The nice shinny cans are around 20 bucks.
I bought one of these but it is very hard to mount and still weighs a lot compared to the CH separator. BTW if you do get one make sure to use PCV hose not fuel hose or other hose. The fumes will break down other type hoses.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:38 PM
97C5ENVY
Melting Slicks

Just for info purposes: I did the "home made" version using the CH Oil seperater from walmart about two years ago. I ran it for 4 months and had to empty the oil out (about a table spoons worth) once a month. However my throttle response went belly up after the mod...as in i'd smash the pedel and about 1.0 - 1.5 seconds later the car would finely rocket forward. And since this mod was the only mod i had done in the past year reasonable deduction pointed the blame to the CH oil seperater. So i conducted a little experiment and removed the mod and ran it for a few weeks and then guaged my throttle response it now seemed crisp and instantanious. So i then re-installed the mod, ran it for a few weeks and guess what....the sluggish throttle response was back. So i then removed it yet again (for good this time) and my throttle response has been clean, crisp, and instantanious ever since. The only reason i'm trying the AMW catch can is because i'm getting WAY TO MUCH oil in my intake manifold and i'm hoping it will not only catch the oil but keep my throttle response crisp.....if not i'll be selling it.

Get notified of new replies

To [RANT] AMW (maker of the PCV Catch Can) = BAD SERVICE!

Old 06-01-2006, 03:01 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=97C5ENVY]Just for info purposes: I did the "home made" version using the CH Oil seperater from walmart about two years ago. I ran it for 4 months and had to empty the oil out (about a table spoons worth) once a month. However my throttle response went belly up after the mod...as in i'd smash the pedel and about 1.0 - 1.5 seconds later the car would finely rocket forward. And since this mod was the only mod i had done in the past year QUOTE]

I have heard if you leave the stone like filter in the seperator this can happen. I can't imagine why it would happen otherwise.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:11 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I bought mine several years ago when they were still in the $75-$80 range. Good service no problems. As a matter of fact, I called a few weeks later to inquire about buying another mounting bracket (I use two) and after speaking to the gentleman a few minutes, he took my address and just sent me another bracket no charge.
So, to answer your question, no I have not had a bad experience with them. If anything, it was very positive.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:39 PM
97C5ENVY
Melting Slicks

I finally got the thing in this evening....10 days after i orderd it. Not to mention they were supposed to be IN STCOK when i orderd it, and that they are only 1.5 hrs drive away.

Anyway here's what came in the box (i added a $1 bill for reference):

Seems pretty complete with everything needed to install it. Looks like a really nice piece (worth maybe $80, not $180) with lots of little things done to help keep the oil and air seperated while maximizing air flow.

Will keep everyone posted on install and performance.

Quick Reply: [RANT] AMW (maker of the PCV Catch Can) = BAD SERVICE!