C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This AMW catch can is WORKING!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 09:17 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Default This AMW catch can is WORKING!

Opened up the drain chock today after about 2 months of highway & spirited driving...
My car is a 2000, does NOT burn oil, and I did the AMW catch can because 3 yrs ago I felt the Campbell Hausfeld can killed my throttle response & bogged my car.. Once I took it off, all was well..

Installed the AMW, with no SOTP difference, & check out these pics!
I used a detergent lid to fit under the can to catch the oil, then poured it in a 2 oz bottle to see the actual amount.

Thats a full 1/2 oz of oil thats NOT in my intake! (see last pic!)

I'd say the AMW can WORKS!

Old 06-11-2006, 09:23 PM
pdd000
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

the oil also goes through the passenger side vent line into the TB. i put a filter on that line too
Old 06-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by pdd000
the oil also goes through the passenger side vent line into the TB. i put a filter on that line too
Same here

I was told by a fellow member who has a custom catch can and I trust as very knowledgable that ....... no matter what AMW says .... the line to the intake manifold should be the top not the side !!!!!

DH
Old 06-11-2006, 09:45 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Glad to see its working for you.

VR
Old 06-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

WOW !

Thanks for the pics Ellis... they tell the whole story
Old 06-11-2006, 10:55 PM
allmee
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pdd000
I had a filter on this line also, but I was getting no oil to it at all. It took about 6 months to turn a very light brown in color. Oh well.

Since we are on this topic again, I made some modifications to my AMW. First off, I have a compressor catch can without the filter 1st in the line and it catches alot of oil. I relocated the AMW to the same place Howie has his, between the fan shroud and chassis where the hood hindge is attached. It stays much cooler there than it does being attached to the head. Secondly, I removed the spring clip and screen along with the steel wadding. I took a coke can and cut the bottom & top off and cut up the side, so the alluminum could be laid out flat. I rolled up the alluminum so I could fit it inside of the area where the steel wadding was. Now the oil has to go all the way to the bottom of the can, instead of about half way down, before suction can try to pull it back out through the side hole. I left a space of about 3/4 of in inch from the bottom. I did put some of the steel wadding back in to help form dropplets. Anyway the result is great! I have that glass fuel filter, with some breather element in it, in the line before the intake, and it is staying pretty damn clean. My car is a daily driver, about 300 miles a week. I was getting a ton more oil at that filter when the can was at the head and had not beed modified.

Sorry for rambling on
Old 06-12-2006, 07:39 AM
97C5ENVY
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear this thing is actually working. I just installed mine this weekend....but have yet to drive the car hard for any length of time. But i will be soon.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:01 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I know the feeling, I added mine and it has been amazing seeing the results. I love my catch can too!
Old 06-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by allmee
I had a filter on this line also, but I was getting no oil to it at all. It took about 6 months to turn a very light brown in color. Oh well.

Since we are on this topic again, I made some modifications to my AMW. First off, I have a compressor catch can without the filter 1st in the line and it catches alot of oil. I relocated the AMW to the same place Howie has his, between the fan shroud and chassis where the hood hindge is attached. It stays much cooler there than it does being attached to the head. Secondly, I removed the spring clip and screen along with the steel wadding. I took a coke can and cut the bottom & top off and cut up the side, so the alluminum could be laid out flat. I rolled up the alluminum so I could fit it inside of the area where the steel wadding was. Now the oil has to go all the way to the bottom of the can, instead of about half way down, before suction can try to pull it back out through the side hole. I left a space of about 3/4 of in inch from the bottom. I did put some of the steel wadding back in to help form dropplets. Anyway the result is great! I have that glass fuel filter, with some breather element in it, in the line before the intake, and it is staying pretty damn clean. My car is a daily driver, about 300 miles a week. I was getting a ton more oil at that filter when the can was at the head and had not beed modified.

Sorry for rambling on
Nice mod ..... you should have measured the oil captured for some scientific results

I was thinking of filling the entire can with that heavy metal mesh. Then reversing the lines .... that oil goes in side, has to swirl around LOTS of mesh to condense on, then has to be pulled all the way thru the top........

DH
Old 06-12-2006, 06:01 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Same here

I was told by a fellow member who has a custom catch can and I trust as very knowledgable that ....... no matter what AMW says .... the line to the intake manifold should be the top not the side !!!!!

DH
Interesting, I thought about this as well. The only conclusion I could come to is they were trying to keep the level above the oil level in the container as the container filled.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Interesting, I thought about this as well. The only conclusion I could come to is they were trying to keep the level above the oil level in the container as the container filled.
Obviously.....if the can fills to the level of the side hole you are going to suck oil !!!!!!! ....... I check mine every two weeks.

DH

Get notified of new replies

To This AMW catch can is WORKING!

Quick Reply: This AMW catch can is WORKING!