C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

StopTech comment on stainless steel lines with C6 Z06 brakes on a C5

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 06:10 PM
gothamZ06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default StopTech comment on stainless steel lines with C6 Z06 brakes on a C5

Hey Gang,

I've been in the process of putting C6 Z06 brakes on my 03 Z06. So far it has been a relatively straight forward swap. However, instead of using my stock OEM lines, after speaking with the gentleman who put these brakes on his black FRC -- I decided I might as well add some stainless steel lines while the car was apart.

Anyway, did a little research and found that Stoptech makes C5 Z ss lines, so I went ahead and ordered them from Corvette Garage. Somewhere along the lines I got to talking with the Stoptech and they had this to say about using C5 lines with C6 Z brakes:

Originally Posted by StopTech
StopTech lines were designed with the intention of going on stock components for that car. What a customer actually decides to do with the lines is up to them.

The c5 lines are shorter than the c6 lines. Front lines are 3.5" shorter and rears are 3" shorter. The inboard fittings are also different as the C6 lines use a concave fitting and the c5 uses convex inboard fittings. Using the wrong fitting will provide an improper seal.
Now I'm sort of in a jam. I know that the 3 people who have done the C6 Z brakes on their cars have reported no problems when running OEM and goodrich lines. So what do you guys think here? I can't tell if this a vendor trick to try and "encourage" others from not buying a brake setup that is a 1/4 of their kits cost, or if there is a real genuine warning.

-GMan
Old 06-14-2006, 07:04 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Their comments seem pretty straightforward to me. The way I read their message here is that the C5 and C6 each have a different design to their hose fittings on the frame side of things. The design of the caliper side of things appear to be the same for both.
Just use a C5 SS line and you should be good to go.

Anyone else?

Robert
Old 06-14-2006, 07:22 PM
gothamZ06
Advanced

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Their comments seem pretty straightforward to me. The way I read their message here is that the C5 and C6 each have a different design to their hose fittings on the frame side of things. The design of the caliper side of things appear to be the same for both.
Just use a C5 SS line and you should be good to go.

Anyone else?

Robert
If that is the case, why would C5 lines have trouble fitting to the frame side? I ordered the C5 stoptech lines with the intention of putting them on C6 brakes. Man, it's amazing something so asanine can be so confusing.

What you say makes sense lonestar though. But then why would stoptech say that there will be a problem sealing?

-G
Old 06-14-2006, 07:27 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by gothamZ06
If that is the case, why would C5 lines have trouble fitting to the frame side? I ordered the C5 stoptech lines with the intention of putting them on C6 brakes. Man, it's amazing something so asanine can be so confusing.

What you say makes sense lonestar though. But then why would stoptech say that there will be a problem sealing?

-G
According to them it will be if you try use C6 lines on a C5 or vice versa. Apparently the design/shape of the fitting is different on that end only.
The comment about the total length of the lines being different seems to me to be a function of wheel travel, etc being different on the C6 as well.

The C6 calipers use a multi-piston design, etc but the hose attachment is apparently the same for the both the C5 and the C6.

Last edited by LoneStarFRC; 06-14-2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:20 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

let's see one of those C6 lines, i've got a few spare C5 lines, we could get this done real quick
Old 06-14-2006, 08:47 PM
gothamZ06
Advanced

Originally Posted by connecticut
let's see one of those C6 lines, i've got a few spare C5 lines, we could get this done real quick
What are you doing this weekend Steve? Feel like taking a ride down to Westchester

Thanks LoneStar what you said makes sense!
Old 06-14-2006, 08:51 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Why don't you just stay with the stock C5 brake lines?

I have also read about electronic problems being caused by stainless steel braided lines, and the problem was solved by going back to stock lines.

1997-2004: GM TechLink: Stainless Steel Brake Lines
From GM TechLink, July 2004:

Owners of some Corvettes have experienced Service ABS, Service Active Handling and Service Traction Control messages. Wheel speed sensor codes may be set. This condition may be caused by replacing the OEM rubber brake hoses with aftermarket stainless steel brake hoses.

It is believed that the metal in the brake lines conducts static electricity, causing confusion in the wheel speed sensors.

The brake hoses must be returned to original rubber ones before the case can be investigated. This is a customer-pay expense.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 06-14-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:51 PM
gothamZ06
Advanced

Ok, the stock OEM C5 lines will NOT fit on these calipers -- well I am almost 99.9% certain. I spent an hour or so trying to get the banjo fitting to bolt onto the caliper, but it kept hitting the lip once threaded and I could not seat it firmly. I am sort of in a bind at this point. I can see that the banjo of a C6 Z brake line must be considerably smaller then that of a C5 since the bolt hole is considerably closer to the lip on the C6 Z caliper then on the c5. Also the C5 Z banjo fitting runs perpendicular to ground while it appears the C6 runs parallel to the ground.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? I can't imagine the aftermarket brakes will work if they use the same fittings as OEM.

-N

Get notified of new replies

To StopTech comment on stainless steel lines with C6 Z06 brakes on a C5

Quick Reply: StopTech comment on stainless steel lines with C6 Z06 brakes on a C5