C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some straight answers on frame repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 01:21 AM
stevdug
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Need some straight answers on frame repair

I have a 01 z06 that has been hit in the right rear, the rear impact bar and right rear portion of the rail are smoked. The left rail needs pulled back a little but very fixable. Eventhough I have seen the GM frame sectioning specs, several local shops clame you cannot section the They are recomending going with a complete new frame. Any advice or experience would be apprieciated.

Thanks
Steve
Old 06-17-2006, 08:28 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Find a different shop. also depeds on what your insurance company says.

I had a misforutant incidnet with a concreat wall.

right rear fame quarter was bent. Shop removed the quater and replaced then straightend the frame.

GM specs are +/- 1/8" Shop I went to also does a lot of vipers and the guys also race vipers. When they straighted my frame it was +/- 1mm
Old 06-17-2006, 08:55 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Find a different shop. also depeds on what your insurance company says.

I had a misforutant incidnet with a concreat wall.

right rear fame quarter was bent. Shop removed the quater and replaced then straightend the frame.

GM specs are +/- 1/8" Shop I went to also does a lot of vipers and the guys also race vipers. When they straighted my frame it was +/- 1mm

The frame can be sectioned alot easier than you can find a new frame and rebuild the car around it.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:24 AM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done extensive C5 frame repair. 14 cars and counting, all with some frame damage. Use the GM recommendations for locating key features and an experienced MIG welder and you will have no problem...
I have the frame section you need if you are interested.
Shirl Dickey
Old 06-17-2006, 09:35 PM
94legaleagle
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what I've learned, Shirl Dickey is your go-to guy - He can help talk you thru it, he's got the parts you need, and he's done more than a few

That said, I redid an '01 Coupe w/ frame damage in front - rails bent near where front suspension bolt goes thru frame & upward SLIGHTLY at firewall - a reputable body shop w/ a frame rack straightened it for me, no problem -I asked if they would have to plate the frame for stregnth, and they said "we've never done that yet, and don't intend on starting doing that w/ mine"

Despite what many on this forum will tell you, the frames CAN be straightened SUCCESSFULLY, find a shop that will work w/ you.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:47 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

This may not be a C5 but it's still a pretty extensive frame sectioning job on a Corvette: http://www.jdcorvette.com/restoration.htm

Get notified of new replies

To Need some straight answers on frame repair

Quick Reply: Need some straight answers on frame repair