C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waterpump replacement help ........Fast

Old 06-19-2006, 12:44 PM
gfunk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Waterpump replacement help ........Fast

Im about to change out my waterpump because I've been finding a small puddle on the ground (source weephole in waterpump). i was told this was my waterpump starting to go, and to change it now before it goes totally out. I have a 99 coupe.
I recall seeing a step by step instruction post on here, but I cant seem to find it, can someone repost it?
Also was there a correct meathod to refilling the coolant/water, to purge air from the system?

any info would be great, Im actuall working on the car now.
thanks
Old 06-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Gray Weasel
Instructor

Default water pump

Just changed my pump yesterday....first look to see where everything is .....first release belt tensioner and slip serpentine belt off....now loosen air filter hose and silde it off and prop it up so it in not in the way ...remove top coolent hose them remove the two hoses on lower side of pump...you will need a drain pan... and if you are careful you can save almost of the coolent and not make a mess.....now remove the six bolts they are 9 or 10 mm slip out pump from passanger side....remove belt tensioner from old pump and put it on new pump make sure the block surfaces are clean....get the gaskets out if you get some silicone clear rtv I found that it is easyier to stick the driver side gasket to the block and the passenger side on to the pump let them dry so they really stick 15 or 20 min....have a beer while you wait....it also makes it easier if you have help.....now slipd the pump into place a bolt it up be careful about over tighting the bolts 30lbs max touq...hoses air filter put back as much coolent as you can start up car turn on heater to hi and wait till hoses get hot and check you coolent level and add as needed it took me about 1 and 1/2 hrs have fun....
Old 06-19-2006, 02:30 PM
molson
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I leave the top hose off while filling....gives the air somewhere to go.

When coolant starts to come out slip it on and set the clamp.

I then run the engine with the surge cap off until it reaches op. temp.

Good luck..
Old 06-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Gray Weasel
Instructor

I forgot that step
Originally Posted by molson
I leave the top hose off while filling....gives the air somewhere to go.

When coolant starts to come out slip it on and set the clamp.

I then run the engine with the surge cap off until it reaches op. temp.

Good luck..
Old 06-19-2006, 10:52 PM
gfunk
Instructor

thanks guys, it wasnt too dificult, except for that one waterpump bolt closest to the drivers fender, I spent more time on that than the entire project.

Get notified of new replies

To Waterpump replacement help ........Fast

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Waterpump replacement help ........Fast