C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Heads and cam

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Turbosixx
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Z06 Heads and cam

I have a chance to buy a set of Z06 heads and cam. Is it a waste of time to install these or should I go for a custom cam and aftermarket heads? What would an A4 run with the Z06 heads and cam, LG pro's, LS6 intake and SS3200 converter (of course all of the bolt on's too)?
I'm thinking of going this way because of the docile power it would make. I have no interest in a hot rod, but more of a sleeper. My goal is to run low 12's @ 115 or more. What do you guys think? Possible?
Old 06-20-2006, 11:34 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

It's seriously not worth the trouble unless the class you want to race in restricts aftermarket heads and cam.

If you're going to go through the trouble of doing a heads / cam package might as well pick one that will have solid gains. There are a million and one heads/cam options - a popular package that seems to have very positive feedback is the AFR 224/224 cam along with their 205 heads milled .030.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:44 AM
Mitch C
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mdhmi
It's seriously not worth the trouble unless the class you want to race in restricts aftermarket heads and cam.

If you're going to go through the trouble of doing a heads / cam package might as well pick one that will have solid gains. There are a million and one heads/cam options - a popular package that seems to have very positive feedback is the AFR 224/224 cam along with their 205 heads milled .030.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:26 AM
rickkym
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 97 as well and have been thinking about the Z06 heads becasuse they raise compression half a point and do flow a little better. With a better cam, new springs and pushrods, and probably new rockers (the early ones tend to loose their needle bearings) you should net about 60 hp after a good tune.

I wouldn't waste the effort putting the Z06 cam in since you'll have it all apart and won't be impressed with the gains. Of course all of the above will cost around $1500 if you do the work yourself. If you go with better heads you need to add an intake manifold and throttle body upgrade to get the full benefits. My plan is that would be phase two.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:43 AM
yankeevetteconvert
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbosixx
I have a chance to buy a set of Z06 heads and cam. Is it a waste of time to install these or should I go for a custom cam and aftermarket heads? What would an A4 run with the Z06 heads and cam, LG pro's, LS6 intake and SS3200 converter (of course all of the bolt on's too)?
I'm thinking of going this way because of the docile power it would make. I have no interest in a hot rod, but more of a sleeper. My goal is to run low 12's @ 115 or more. What do you guys think? Possible?
You can run those times without the heads/cam. With the other mods you listed you can be in the low 12's. You will be a mile or two short on the mph goal though. I have run low 12's with my setup and have had several 114 mph trap speeds.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:02 PM
RedRider98
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To do a heads/cam swap, what other things must be upgraded (ie intake,etc) on a '98?
Old 06-21-2006, 01:36 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RedRider98
To do a heads/cam swap, what other things must be upgraded (ie intake,etc) on a '98?
An LS6 intake manifold is sufficient. Long tube headers are a nice complement to any NA heads / cam combo.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Turbosixx
Burning Brakes

I'm also thinking of just putting a cam in. Any of you guys have a cam only vette? I saw the sticky @ LS1tech and the power those guys are making should be more than sufficient. So what cam with headers, converter, LS6 intake, and all other bolt on's?

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Heads and cam

Quick Reply: Z06 Heads and cam