C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Position For Cooler (Tranny)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Best Position For Cooler (Tranny)

I think its agreed that placing a tranny cooler (but this applies to oil or intercoolers) in the C5 opening in front of the condensors where it gets maximum airflow is best.

My quesion is...... do you get better cooling with the cooler upright in front of the condensor or placed horizontally accross the opening in front of the air dam, away from the condensor.

DH
Old 06-25-2006, 09:10 PM
DJMRTS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-25-2006, 10:12 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't say which is best for the cooler but placing the cooler directly in front of the condenser rather than the opening itself has to be better for the condenser and the radiator.

The cooler will be heating up a lot more of the air that cools the condenser and the radiator, depending on how much of the opening it covers. Also, although air passes through the cooler it does serve as a restriction to airflow. I would rather have some of the air heated and the flow restricted passing through the cooler before it hits the condenser as opposed to most or all the air being heated and the flow restricted.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:13 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

If you mount it vertically, you want the inlet and outlet on the top. If horizontal, you want the outlet on the top. You do this in order to keep the cooler flooded.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dave pawlowski
If you mount it vertically, you want the inlet and outlet on the top. If horizontal, you want the outlet on the top. You do this in order to keep the cooler flooded.
My current one is mounted vertically with the inlet/outlet on the bottom.

Do you really think that this would make any difference when the car is running full out for 30 minutes??? Wouldn't the fluid be filled within the cooler no matter what its position???

And what do you mean by the "top" if mounted horizontally ...... there is front/back/right/left ?????

Do you have a lot of experience with tranny coolers ???

Thanks

DH
Old 06-26-2006, 05:27 PM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

I have experience with heat exchangers- that's all a trans cooler is. If you have a serpentine type cooler it is not a big issue but if it is a tube and fin type what can happen if the inlet and outlets are on the bottom is the fluid flows in from the botton then across through the lower tubes and out the other side without fully filling the upper tubes- they remain full of air. In the end , the only thing that will be compromised is the heat exchanger is not operating at full capacity. By "top" I meant the highest relative to the road. "lowest" would be lowest relative to the road.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

I have experience with heat exchangers- that's all a trans cooler is. If you have a serpentine type cooler it is not a big issue but if it is a tube and fin type what can happen if the inlet and outlets are on the bottom is the fluid flows in from the botton then across through the lower tubes and out the other side without fully filling the upper tubes- they remain full of air. In the end , the only thing that will be compromised is the heat exchanger is not operating at full capacity. By "top" I meant the highest relative to the road. "lowest" would be lowest relative to the road.
Dave

I don't know the different types of coolers. What is a serpentine type ??

I did call B&M today and they do recommend having the fittings on top if mounting vertically as you have stated. My Setrab currently is mounted opposite !!!!

DH
Old 06-27-2006, 08:36 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

The B&M uses a "stacked plate" design, this allows for multiple flow paths for the fluid. A serpentine cooler is just one long tube folded back and forth. Perma-Cool and Flex-a-lite use this technique- cheaper to manufacture but less efficient. I doubt we would notice the difference in efficiency in our applications but race-designed cars (formula cars, Nascar, etc.) who are worried about efficiency use the stacked plate design. Look in a Summit or Jegs catalog and you can easily see the difference. BTW, all the auto manufacturers do it right on their stock coolers, out at the top.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:20 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

BTW, all the auto manufacturers do it right on their stock coolers, out at the top.
Yeah, except for those that don't. Ask me how I know. Tranny fluid everywhere when I was flushing out my Crown Vic's replacement tranny.

DH, back to your original question. My engine oil cooler is a PermaKool with the serpentine tubing setup. Cooler is mounted horizontally, inlet on the bottom, return on top. Best I can tell, the PermaKool 45K BTU tranny cooler is exactly the same piece.

As far as mounting goes, I'd mount it to the condensor. Main reason is that when you're really needing the cooler (i.e. on the track), you don't really care how well the A/C is working. Plus it's in a high pressure area, airflow is pretty well designed (by GM), etc.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

The B&M uses a "stacked plate" design, this allows for multiple flow paths for the fluid. A serpentine cooler is just one long tube folded back and forth. Perma-Cool and Flex-a-lite use this technique- cheaper to manufacture but less efficient. I doubt we would notice the difference in efficiency in our applications but race-designed cars (formula cars, Nascar, etc.) who are worried about efficiency use the stacked plate design. Look in a Summit or Jegs catalog and you can easily see the difference. BTW, all the auto manufacturers do it right on their stock coolers, out at the top.
Ok ..... I now know what you mean ...... I have seen the serpintine.

The Setrab I curently have is just like the B&M design

DH
Old 06-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Yeah, except for those that don't. Ask me how I know. Tranny fluid everywhere when I was flushing out my Crown Vic's replacement tranny.

DH, back to your original question. My engine oil cooler is a PermaKool with the serpentine tubing setup. Cooler is mounted horizontally, inlet on the bottom, return on top. Best I can tell, the PermaKool 45K BTU tranny cooler is exactly the same piece.

As far as mounting goes, I'd mount it to the condensor. Main reason is that when you're really needing the cooler (i.e. on the track), you don't really care how well the A/C is working. Plus it's in a high pressure area, airflow is pretty well designed (by GM), etc.

Mike
Thanks ..... so why do you have yours mounted horizontally ?????

DH
Old 06-27-2006, 07:56 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

DH,

Take a look at this engine oil cooler install guide I put together; shows it a lot better than I can say it:

http://webpages.charter.net/VetteDrmr/

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Best Position For Cooler (Tranny)

Quick Reply: Best Position For Cooler (Tranny)