C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you change the fuel filter on a C5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 07:22 PM
ALIENATED
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you change the fuel filter on a C5?

Last night, I turned the key and it turned over (for a whwile longer than it normally would), started up, but immediately went dead. It did this twice before it finally started.

I am in shock...I am wondering what in the hell is wrong with my car. I went and picked up some Lucas Fuel Treatment and Lucas Octane Booster in hopes of cleaning and lubricating the fuel injectors. I just changed the oil a week ago, so it has been running smoothly...After adding these two Lucas products it definitely runs even smoother, however I am curious as to why the car did not start yesterday?

It is not the battery nor is it the alternator...I am thinking that it may be the fuel filter? I do know that engine performance can be reduced by a dirty or clogged fuel filter. Recommended change intervals are every 12 months or 10,000 miles.

I purchased a WIX Fuel Filter today; how do I install this component?

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:25 PM
ronman99vette
Racer

I think it is in the fuel tank.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:48 PM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ALIENATED
How do you change the fuel filter on a C5?
Depends on the model year of your car. See threads below. Also, you really should update your profile with the model year, vehicle type (coupe, vert, FRC/Z06) and other pertinent info for your car to include mods. This would greatly benefit others here when trying to answer your questions and assist you.

Good luck with the fix.

Thinking of changing your fuel filter?

DIY Fuel Filter

Last edited by GrayC5; 07-09-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:35 PM
ShooterMcgavin
Racer

So if I have the redesigned one that they made in 03 plus I do not have to ever change my fuel filter?
Old 07-09-2006, 09:39 PM
djengr
Pro

Originally Posted by ShooterMcgavin
So if I have the redesigned one that they made in 03 plus I do not have to ever change my fuel filter?
Never say never. If you ever have to change it you have to pull the fuel pump assembly.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:31 PM
chiefDave
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by GrayC5
Depends on the model year of your car. See threads below. Also, you really should update your profile with the model year, vehicle type (coupe, vert, FRC/Z06) and other pertinent info for your car to include mods. This would greatly benefit others here when trying to answer your questions and assist you.

Good luck with the fix.

Thinking of changing your fuel filter?

DIY Fuel Filter
Nice post I have mine in the garage waiting for me when I catch up after this move to GA... Thanks brother!!!!
Dave
Old 07-09-2006, 10:33 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I had an intermittent miss a few race seasons ago and it took me several races to really correct it.

Some random thoughts for you to consider:
- Does the Lucas Octane Booster contain lead (many octane boosters including AMSOIL's do). If so, the lead may have damaged your O2 sensors.
- You can tell if you have an early 03 by looking under the driver's side frame rail just forward of the fuel tank (about under the rear end of the driver's seat). The fuel filter will be obvious if it is there. If it is there, it is easy to change out with the little fuel line separator tool you can pick up at most auto parts stores.
- I'd suggest you run some fuel injector cleaner such as this: AMSOIL P.I. Quick Shot. I eventually took all my fuel injectors out and cleaned them by hand.
- Check for lose grounds on the lines leading from the battery to the fuse panel in the engine compartment and the ground lines attached to the engine block. Some of mine were loose.
- I'd suggest changing the plugs as well.

Good luck hunting it down.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 07-10-2006, 01:34 AM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chiefDave
Nice post I have mine in the garage waiting for me when I catch up after this move to GA... Thanks brother!!!!
Dave
Dave,

Cajundude has written one of the best DIY instructions that I've seen for replacement of the model year 1999 through mid 2003 fuel filters. He posted a link to his instructions in one of the threads above. Here's the link to his instructions again:

http://www.cajundude.com/fuelfilter.htm

Good luck replacing yours.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you change the fuel filter on a C5?

Quick Reply: How do you change the fuel filter on a C5?