C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever seen this before - Starter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Rob2001
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever seen this before - Starter Problems

So I go to start my 2001 Vette yesterday - 36,000 miles. Starter spins like normal, engine cranks a tiny bit then I hear a snap/crack - then just the starter spinning. Almost sounded like engine caught, then dead. Tried starter again, it just spun, did not engage. Figure broke a solenoid, maybe flat spotted ring gear. Push the car a bit in 6th, pop the clutch then try starter. Same thing - starter just spins, does not engage. Have it towed to my buddy's shop. We get it up on the lift and starter housing is busted around bolt closest to block. The tang where the other bolt (outmost on passenger side) where the long bolt goes into the block is busted! The engine block broke right through the center of the bolt hole. I had a piece of engine block in my hand and thought I was going to puke!

Only way to get in there and weld it is to pull the engine, even after pulling the pipes off. Welding aluminum is no fun!

We ended up epoxying the piece back onto the block, then drilling and tapping it. Made a bracket that holds the piece to the block (in additon to the epoxy) and made another bracket to support the starter from below. It is not a cob job - brackets fit perfectly - almost looks like a factory job. I should have got pictures. Sorrry.

She is back together - started her about 2 dozen times. Seems good. I will probably pull the engine in the fall and weld the part back on and beef it up. That starter mounting point looks pretty flimsy in my opinion.

Has anyone had or heard of this happening? Maybe I just have a bad casting with air-pockets or the guy who owned it before me tried starting it while it was running and it fractured, then failed on me??

Drive Safe!
Rob
Old 07-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WOW!!!! Hope I never expierence that one!!!!! Keep us informed on how it turns out.

Good luck!

BC
Old 07-19-2006, 10:15 AM
tv7son
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you had loose starter bolts or one was missing.
I happened to me with a 300ZX a few weeks after I had a new clutch installed.

SFS
Old 07-24-2006, 08:47 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen it happen on an engine that hydro-locked (head problem). Did exactly what you described.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:42 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by 78Vette-SA
I've seen it happen on an engine that hydro-locked (head problem). Did exactly what you described.
Same thing happened to me not to long ago

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever seen this before - Starter Problems

Quick Reply: Anyone ever seen this before - Starter Problems