C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace lock actuator......?

Old 07-20-2006, 04:07 PM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Replace lock actuator......?

or something else?

The drivers side door will not always lock (or unlock) after the lock button is hit on the FOB about 75% of the time. Passenger side always locks and unlocks with no problems.

However, the drivers side lock does sound like its trying to lock everytime. In fact, if I hold on to the handle, I can feel a minor click even though the lock doesn't latch. I'd like to lube it first and then try replacement. Is the fact that its "trying" and making a sound warrant me merely lubing the actuator and any exposed door lock assembly?

How would you all lube that area?
Old 07-20-2006, 04:37 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

There are about 5 possibilities
1. The Drivers door control module (DCM) circuit board is toast. It is easy to replace
yourself. a new one is over $300. i bought a used one off a CF member for $50 (see the link below as the steps for replacement or repair are the same.)

2. The connector to the DCM could be loose

3. The wiring to the DCM may be faulty( broken)

4. The unlock relay may be bad ( below is a link ot how you can fix it)
The relay costs under $2 and you need to desolder it and resolder the replacement on the circuit board
http://www.ronjpics.com/Corvettestuff.htm
-see door control module
5. The lock acutator is bad and needs replacement

Without a TechII scanner it really is trial and error trying to diagnose the problem, but posts suggest it is either the relay or the cicuit board most of the time. I had exactly the same syptoms as you. After checking the connections and wiring and replacing the lock relay, it still didn't work. I popped in the replacement DCM and now everything works... even the easy entry feature on the seat which I had not even realized was not working !

Last edited by rws.1; 07-20-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:22 PM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

That website is good stuff and I have already been trying to find a local place to buy the relays.

However, I checked my codes and saw:

RFA V1000H and V1064H which indicates problems with FOB communications. Do you think the car knows its not doing what the fob is telling it or is there something else?
Old 07-21-2006, 09:59 AM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Actually, the codes mean that there is a problem communicating with the BCM. Does anyone think that's related to the door lock issue?

I DO have a CLB installed. That's my other thought.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:35 AM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Most likely the relay in the BCM door. I had the exact same problem. Replaced the door lock actuator. Still did it. Then I sliced open the relay on a BCM, cleaned it with sand paper, and so far so good! Others reported having to replace the relay altogether.

Do a search on door lock actuator and there is a write up on ohw to clean the contacts of the relay in the BCM.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

TTT Good info. My vote is a bad DCM relay!!
Old 07-21-2006, 12:34 PM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

This post says it all:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1218327

Funny thing is, I didn't see it the first time I searched to find my problem. I think I'm just going to go ahead and change out the relays.

Get notified of new replies

To Replace lock actuator......?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace lock actuator......?