C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Wiring Diagram Cooling Fans

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 06:16 PM
Carol & Lee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Wiring Diagram Cooling Fans

I have a 98 Coupe and a cooling fan (Drivers side) that has power to the relay side of the switch but no power to either side of the contact side of the relay that runs the fan. COOLFAN1 Mini relay 45 CKT1442. I have the three service manuals but am looking for a wiring diagram that tells me the color of the wires that go to the underside of the panel that the relay plugs into as the power thru the relay coil is from the same power that goes to the motor.
Any Help, Thanks
Old 07-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Carol & Lee
Instructor

ttt
Old 07-24-2006, 03:42 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carol & Lee
I have a 98 Coupe and a cooling fan (Drivers side) that has power to the relay side of the switch but no power to either side of the contact side of the relay that runs the fan. COOLFAN1 Mini relay 45 CKT1442. I have the three service manuals but am looking for a wiring diagram that tells me the color of the wires that go to the underside of the panel that the relay plugs into as the power thru the relay coil is from the same power that goes to the motor.
Any Help, Thanks
There are 3 relays used to control your cooling fans. Relay 45 selects LO speed fans. Two additional relays select HI speed fans. If you do not have +12V on either side of relay 45 contacts, either fuse 40 is blown or you have a bad wire connection to the power distribution block. The circuit is HOT at all times providing fuse 40 is good. The control side of the relay is activated when relay 45 control lead is grounded by the BCM.
John
Old 07-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Carol & Lee
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cscokd
There are 3 relays used to control your cooling fans. Relay 45 selects LO speed fans. Two additional relays select HI speed fans. If you do not have +12V on either side of relay 45 contacts, either fuse 40 is blown or you have a bad wire connection to the power distribution block. The circuit is HOT at all times providing fuse 40 is good. The control side of the relay is activated when relay 45 control lead is grounded by the BCM.
John
The 30 Amp fuses to the relays and motors are good so I think I have a bad wire connection under the fuse/relay panel, the relay is hot but the infeed side of the contact is not hot and they both pull power from the same fuse, that is why I need to know where or how can i get a wiring diagram. anyone know is this a circuit board under there or is it hard wired?
Old 07-25-2006, 04:01 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it may be a circuit board, but not sure. I'll see what I can find and get back to you. Someone that can probably tell you anything you need to know would be Bill Curlee. Send him a PM with your question.
Regards,
John
Old 07-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Just to rephrase what you are saying. You have power to the control coil of the relay (switches relay on) at Ckt 1442 and are getting the PCM to switch Ckt 335 to ground but do not have power to the relay contacts at either Ckt 1442 or Ckt 409 when the relay is switched on.

I assume you pulled the relay to check for voltage on Ckt 1442. Did you check the contacts under the relay in the electrical center for contamination? I have seen some really messed up contacts in setups like this.

I believe the electrical center contacts may be in a circuit board and another possibility is a solder joint came loose.

Bill
Old 07-25-2006, 02:23 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

ive got them but i have no idea how to post them.barnes and noble book store sells a book called corvette fuel inj. and elec. eng, mang. by PROBST bentley pub.i also have prof. manu. [mitchel] but that doesnt6 help you because of my dont know how to do it ness. sorry
Old 07-25-2006, 07:17 PM
5.0 RACER
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, if you have the 3 books, look in book 1, page 8-354 and on the left is the mini relay 45.

If I understand your question. ckt 335 is pink and is the wire to the PCM making the relay energise
ckt 406 is light blue and goes to the left hand fan motor

did you check the fuse # maxifuse 49? if it is open, you will not have power to either side of the relay contacts.....

Last edited by 5.0 RACER; 07-25-2006 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Carol & Lee
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Just to rephrase what you are saying. You have power to the control coil of the relay (switches relay on) at Ckt 1442 and are getting the PCM to switch Ckt 335 to ground but do not have power to the relay contacts at either Ckt 1442 or Ckt 409 when the relay is switched on.

I assume you pulled the relay to check for voltage on Ckt 1442. Did you check the contacts under the relay in the electrical center for contamination? I have seen some really messed up contacts in setups like this.

I believe the electrical center contacts may be in a circuit board and another possibility is a solder joint came loose.

Bill
The mini relay #45 will energize but there is no power to CKT1442 side or CKT 409 of the relay, so the max fuse is good there has to be a open circuit between the fuse and the contact side of the relay. If there is a circuit board under the plastic cover of the panel then the board may be bad or the contacts the relay plugs into are shot. Looks like time to tear the panel out and see what I can find under the plastic cover the relays and fuses plug thru. Thanks to everyone that responded anyone have a junk panel that they can look at and see if there is a circuit board under the plastic top panel.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:37 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

from my diagram there is a splice power out maxi fuse 49 that goes to the 2 ckt 1442 this is on coolfan1 mini relay 45
Old 07-26-2006, 06:26 AM
200MPH
Instructor

I had the same problem in my 98. I spent alot of time completely disassembleing the wiring harness from the pcm up. What happened with mine was the connector that plugs into the drivers side fan was rubbing on the sway bar. I had to replace the wiring, since it was just about melted. When i rewired it i seperated the cooling fan wires from the rest of the harness and i run them from the top so if i ever have a problem again i can check these wires real easy.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:04 AM
patton
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

you may have done this already. can you see the female connector in the relay center? [ckt 1442] some times pushing the relay in the male term. pushes the female term down and wont make contact

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical Wiring Diagram Cooling Fans

Quick Reply: Electrical Wiring Diagram Cooling Fans