C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1637 Generator Terminal Circuit L. An ongoing issue.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 08:35 PM
Gatzer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P1637 Generator Terminal Circuit L. An ongoing issue.

Doing a search, I found and read the following threads.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ighlight=P1637
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1372316
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=944784

I'm only getting the code P1637 after the car is at operating temp. Upon initial start, the voltage is fine, between 14.0 - 14.2. Once the car gets up to operating temp, it gradually drops down into the mid 13's and stays there. Then I start getting the code. It doesn't matter if I'm driving down the road, or parked at idle. Occasionally, I'll see high 12's. I have done the following things and still get the code, along with having voltage issues.

- Replaced a 6 month old Optima battery with a new one. Both checked out fine.
- Had the Alternator tested by 2 different shops. Checked out fine, but had new brushes put in anyway.
- Installed a new Ignition Switch.
- Pulled off the starter. Cleaned and re tightened all connections.
- Checked and cleaned the cars ground connections.

Does anyone have any other ideas or know the cure? This has gradually been getting worse over the last 6 months. I can clear the code, but it comes back every time. Sometimes in minutes, sometimes right away. The only code I get is Service Vehicle Soon / P1637. I don't get System Charging Fault on the DIC.

I have an '04 Zo6 w/ less then 9k miles on it, and a 14 volt, 145 amp alternator, thanks.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:20 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

So you don't have the stock alternator on the car?
Old 07-29-2006, 09:24 PM
Gatzer
Instructor

Still the stock alternator, just had new brushes put in it for the heck of it.
It didn't make a difference.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:36 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

It's gonna be tough to diagnose this without a Tech-2 scanner.

That first link you posted contains all the info about this code, why it occurs, and steps to troubleshoot it. http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic10125.php - that is straight out of the factory service manual. This one is typically out of the realm for the DIY home troubleshooter.

The alternator may test fine as far as spinning it and producing current, but something in the control circuit isn't functioning as it should.

Is your 04 not still under warranty?

Last edited by Y2Kvert4me; 07-29-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Gatzer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
Is your 04 not still under warranty?
Ugh, if I took it to a dealer and they opened the hood. it wouldn't be for long.

Thanks for you help, man.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:38 AM
roushraven
Coolest Guy Evar!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatzer
Doing a search, I found and read the following threads.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1372316
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=944784

I'm only getting the code P1637 after the car is at operating temp. Upon initial start, the voltage is fine, between 14.0 - 14.2. Once the car gets up to operating temp, it gradually drops down into the mid 13's and stays there. Then I start getting the code. It doesn't matter if I'm driving down the road, or parked at idle. Occasionally, I'll see high 12's. I have done the following things and still get the code, along with having voltage issues.

- Replaced a 6 month old Optima battery with a new one. Both checked out fine.
- Had the Alternator tested by 2 different shops. Checked out fine, but had new brushes put in anyway.
- Installed a new Ignition Switch.
- Pulled off the starter. Cleaned and re tightened all connections.
- Checked and cleaned the cars ground connections.

Does anyone have any other ideas or know the cure? This has gradually been getting worse over the last 6 months. I can clear the code, but it comes back every time. Sometimes in minutes, sometimes right away. The only code I get is Service Vehicle Soon / P1637. I don't get System Charging Fault on the DIC.

I have an '04 Zo6 w/ less then 9k miles on it, and a 14 volt, 145 amp alternator, thanks.
When you figure this out let me know because I am having the exact problem in my H/C '03 Z with 32k miles. I replaced the battery but that didn't help since the problem code still returns. Unlike you, however; I do occasionally (3-4 times in the last 4 months) get the System Charging Fault. My car runs well and the performance has not been affected.

-RR
Old 07-30-2006, 10:52 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Had the Alternator tested by 2 different shops. Checked out fine, but had new brushes put in anyway.
but was it testesd at a hot (underhood type) temperature ???

the bench test may not be simulating the environment that the alternator is actually seeing. The windings may start shorting out under hot temps, but the short clears once it cools down. Alternators can get very hot under the hood. So hot that you wouldn't want to touch it just after engine shut down from a moderate drive.

As with any intermittant failure, sometimes all you can do is repair via the "process of elimination". Replace the alt and see if the problem changes any.

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 07-30-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Gatzer
Instructor

Originally Posted by roushraven
When you figure this out let me know because I am having the exact problem in my H/C '03 Z with 32k miles. I replaced the battery but that didn't help since the problem code still returns. Unlike you, however; I do occasionally (3-4 times in the last 4 months) get the System Charging Fault. My car runs well and the performance has not been affected.

-RR
Went out in the car last night. On the way to meeting some friends, I got the code and the voltage started moving around between 12.8 and 13.8. But, on the drive home, the exact same distance, voltage held in the high 13's and no codes.

I'm ordering a new alternator tomorrow anyway. What the heck, it's only $400.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Sick Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
but was it testesd at a hot (underhood type) temperature ???

the bench test may not be simulating the environment that the alternator is actually seeing. The windings may start shorting out under hot temps, but the short clears once it cools down. Alternators can get very hot under the hood. So hot that you wouldn't want to touch it just after engine shut down from a moderate drive.

As with any intermittant failure, sometimes all you can do is repair via the "process of elimination". Replace the alt and see if the problem changes any.

I'd have to say that replaceing the alternator completely should have been done before the brushes. When you get a "hot soak" problem such as this I would instantly suspect bad wiring, and or an internal issue with the alternator. However since it was not an RPM related voltage issue, the brushes would not have been my first suspect. Rather the internal diode setup instead. Once those puppies get hot, if they have an internal problem they will LEAK voltage and not put out correctly.

Let us know it replaceing the alt. takes care of it. If it doesn't there's one other tip I have for you.

Disconnect the battery, and measure OHMs from the alt output wire to the + battery cable end. Should be extremely low. Reconnect, drive the car up to operating temp.. Return home and do the same test. The wire if in good condition should NOT change much at all OHM wise.

Last edited by Sick Z06; 07-30-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:39 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Sick Z06
When you get a "hot soak" problem such as this
uuuuughhhh !!!

I was looking for those words ("hot soak" or "heat soak") and couldn't -for the life of me- get them out...

Old 07-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Sick Z06
Racer

happens to the best of us mike.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:42 AM
Gatzer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sick Z06
I'd have to say that replacing the alternator completely should have been done before the brushes. When you get a "hot soak" problem such as this I would instantly suspect bad wiring, and or an internal issue with the alternator. However since it was not an RPM related voltage issue, the brushes would not have been my first suspect. Rather the internal diode setup instead. Once those puppies get hot, if they have an internal problem they will LEAK voltage and not put out correctly.

Let us know it replacing the alt. takes care of it. If it doesn't there's one other tip I have for you.

Disconnect the battery, and measure OHMs from the alt output wire to the + battery cable end. Should be extremely low. Reconnect, drive the car up to operating temp.. Return home and do the same test. The wire if in good condition should NOT change much at all OHM wise.
Well, the only thing that either electrical shop could do was change the brushes. There aren't any other parts available for the late '03 and '04 alternators. If you have something wrong with one, you either have to buy a new one, or take the whole car in for a warranty claim. Also, these aren't Delco / Delphi alternators, and there aren't any aftermarket ones available either, or so I'm being told. They're Valeo's and made in Mexico. At $400 a pop, I wanted to rule out all the other little things first.

Thanks for the tip on the wiring. I've already checked / inspected it throughout the main harness from the alternator to the starter to the battery. It's fine with no voltage variation and reads the same, engine hot or cold. The only things left that it could be is the alternator or PCM.

And yes, my under the hood temps get a little hot thanks to the F1R.

Get notified of new replies

To P1637 Generator Terminal Circuit L. An ongoing issue.

Quick Reply: P1637 Generator Terminal Circuit L. An ongoing issue.