C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insulation for heat.... dynamat or ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2001, 11:41 AM
Bigtoe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Insulation for heat.... dynamat or ???

I want to do something on the center console for heat. I maybe wrong but I think dynamat is really for sound, not for heat. I've heard that it can get real gooey after it gets hot and turn into a real mess if you have to work around it (changing shifters, etc.) after it has been heated.

Does anyone have any experience with any other material or with dynamat for heat insulation?
Old 09-09-2001, 11:58 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Default Re: Insulation for heat.... dynamat or ??? (Bigtoe)

I used Dynamat Super which is a different product from regular dynamat:
Note the temperature capabilities,

Dynamat Super: Product Information

Dynamat Super is a Styrene-Butyadine-Rubber based mastic with an Aluminum constraining layer and Pressure Sensitive Adhesive on application side, Heat Bondable, Sheet Metal Vibration Damper. This product is made to be applied to flat or slightly contoured automotive body surfaces such as floor pans. Product shall be die cut to rectangular size and placed onto the floor pan after sheet metal cleaning operation and prior to the paint system (typically at the sealer application operation) or on painted panels. Adhesive side is smooth, giving complete contact with the underlying surface without any air pockets of channels. Both material and adhesive can withstand temperature ranges between -34C to +232C(-30F to +450F) and are highly resistant to aging.

I used Dynamat Super in the entire floor and rear of the Z06 including the console, and it did help with temp. and noise reduction.

Old 09-09-2001, 12:17 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Bigtoe, I am having a Heat Shield installed at a shop right now. I will get the car back tomorrow. This Shield can be purchased at West Coast Corvettes under Exhaust. When you see the pic you will understand how it works. I will let all of you guys know how well this unit works after I drive it for a while.

vetterdstr
Old 09-09-2001, 12:21 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

Default Re: Insulation for heat.... dynamat or ??? (vetterdstr)

You will actually have to go to West Coasts Own Website to see this product... it is under exhaust on that site.

vetterdstr
Old 09-09-2001, 12:52 PM
Bigtoe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Insulation for heat.... dynamat or ??? (BOBSZ06)

Thanks guys!

Bob,

How well did it help the heat in the console area?
Old 09-09-2001, 01:21 PM
Bigtoe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

vetterdstr,

Do you have to pull the torque tube to install this?

thx!
Old 09-09-2001, 01:29 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

I installed one layer, and it reduced the heat levels such that I can place items in the console w/o worrying about heat damage. I think it is sufficient to reduce the heat to non-worry levels. It is worth the effort as a first try.

[Modified by BOBSZ06, 9:30 AM 9/9/2001]
Old 09-09-2001, 02:00 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

Bigtoe, this unit fits in between body of the car and the Exhaust system. (the torque tube stays connected) The exhaust system will have to be unbolted for this to be installed. IMO, It is the most direct way to stop the heat in the console.

I dont like the Idea of stuffing any more material under my carpeting and having it look weird. With this unit you can leave your interior alone and stop the heat at the source.

vetterdstr

[Modified by vetterdstr, 12:03 PM 9/9/2001]
Old 09-09-2001, 02:06 PM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Bigtoe, I am having a Heat Shield installed at a shop right now. I will get the car back tomorrow. This Shield can be purchased at West Coast Corvettes under Exhaust. When you see the pic you will understand how it works. I will let all of you guys know how well this unit works after I drive it for a while.

vetterdstr
looking forward to the results :D

Mark
Old 09-09-2001, 02:30 PM
Bigtoe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

This brings up a question...

Does all the heat in the console come from the exhaust or is some generated by the torque tube?

Old 09-09-2001, 02:53 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

Heat comes from the Engine and Exhaust and travels backward as the car moves forward. I have never known a Driveline to get hot on its own. The Driveline temps will rise somewhat as the car comes to full temp (because of the Engine temps) but it will not generate heat on its own.

Since I have purchased my car I have taken out the backing that surrounds the foglights and placed Z06 screens in the openings. I have installed a DRM Heat Extractor Hood, Be Cool Radiator, Z51 Power Steering Oil Cooler & now I am inserting thes Heat Shield. If anyones car should be cooler with the Temps... it will be mine... ;) I will let you guys know just how this works out for me and report back Pronto!! :reddevil

vetterdstr :chevy
Old 09-10-2001, 11:02 PM
plarryj
Advanced

While the heat of the summer may be gone, I would also like to reduce the extra on right my right leg and storage compartment. Hope the shield works well. I'll look for your post.

Old 09-11-2001, 01:39 AM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

I did almost every squre inch of my interior with a product from Cascade Audio Products. It has about 1/4" of closed cell foam on the back and is bonded to a material similar to dynamat. You can cut and piece it together and tape the seams with a sticky backed dynamat like stuff. I gutted my entire car and did this. Inside the doors, floors inside the rear compartments, under the console even inside the quarter panels and inside the roof pillar. The car is way quieter,cooler and just sounds more solid. I sortof went overboard but you could just do the floor and under the console for a big improvement. ANDY
Old 09-11-2001, 09:55 AM
Blue Thunder
Safety Car

Cruise-In I Veteran
National Champs Gators 4 St. Jude '09

Default Re: Insulation for heat.... dynamat or ??? (Andy@AandACorvette)

Andy,

Alot of people are concerned about the added weight. Did this add any significant weight to your car?

Mike
Old 09-11-2001, 03:45 PM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: Insulation for heat.... dynamat or ??? (Blue Thunder)

Like I said, I went overboard with it. It probably added a few pounds but I just added more HP to compensate My car sounds and feels so much more solid than the others that I feel it's worth it.
Old 09-11-2001, 05:16 PM
GHT
Pro

I had the KoolMat Tunnel shield installed today at Texas Quality Exhausts. Roger and Wally did a great job. Definitely easier to do the install on a lift and after dropping the intermediate pipe. Was not necessary to remove tunnel plate. The KoolMat uses some of the bolts that hold the plate but it is not necessary to remove it.

Will report back in on results after I work my way through my next traffic jam. So far today the SOTP meter says it's working and I like it.
Old 09-11-2001, 09:12 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

I got my car back this morning and took it for a couple of drives during the day. I didnt experience any heat in the console area at any time. Being that the car is going to the shop again for the Rear Facia install tomorrow. It will be quite some time from now that I will be able to take a long ride in the car to tell just how effective this new Heat Shield will be... but the results today were very promissing.

vetterdstr :cheers:
Old 09-11-2001, 09:44 PM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I got my car back this morning and took it for a couple of drives during the day. I didnt experience any heat in the console area at any time. Being that the car is going to the shop again for the Rear Facia install tomorrow. It will be quite some time from now that I will be able to take a long ride in the car to tell just how effective this new Heat Shield will be... but the results today were very promissing.

vetterdstr :cheers:
good to hear
Old 09-11-2001, 09:45 PM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I did almost every squre inch of my interior with a product from Cascade Audio Products. It has about 1/4" of closed cell foam on the back and is bonded to a material similar to dynamat. You can cut and piece it together and tape the seams with a sticky backed dynamat like stuff. I gutted my entire car and did this. Inside the doors, floors inside the rear compartments, under the console even inside the quarter panels and inside the roof pillar. The car is way quieter,cooler and just sounds more solid. I sortof went overboard but you could just do the floor and under the console for a big improvement. ANDY
I'd like to hear more....sounds like a good option

Get notified of new replies

To Insulation for heat.... dynamat or ???

Quick Reply: Insulation for heat.... dynamat or ???