C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purolator PureOne Oil Filter -- Restrictive?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 12:01 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Default Purolator PureOne Oil Filter -- Restrictive?

I've heard of talk on the various chat boards that the Purolator PureOne oil filter might be pretty restrictive relative to other oil filters. But if you look at the filter's box and the Purolator website (www.pureoil.com), they claim it's free flowing due to more pleats in the filter design. Some people think that the tightly packed pleats might actually cause restriction to flow.

The Purolator website doesn't show any technical data on flow rate -- like GPMs at various pressure deltas across the filter at a certain oil used and oil temperature.

Has anyone seen any technical data on the PureOne? Some of these guys who tear oil filters apart and try to do flow tests on sections on the filter element sometimes don't reflect the true flow performance of an oil filter like the official SAE standard tests do.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 09-03-2006 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:52 AM
vizette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

google + oil filter comparison = answer

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

-Rich
Old 09-03-2006, 01:26 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by vizette
google + oil filter comparison = answer

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

-Rich
Thanks Rich, but I've seen that one and it really doesn't have any real flow rate numbers. The guy writing the info just "thinks" it could be more restrictive because of all the pleats in the design. That's not scientific, just some guy's guess based on what he sees and no testing. I did see that he mentioned that Purolator didn't have any flow data. He also said he has removed data from the manufactures because he thinks it could be bogus. I doubt SAE testing done by the manufactures is bogus if they follow the SAE procedures.

I was going to email Purolator to see if they can give any technical test data on the flow rate, but wanted to see if I could find it elsewhere first. I did a similar thing with the AC Delco Ultragaurd oil filter, which some independent "testers" claimed they were somewhat restrictive. When I contacted AC Delco and linked the private guys tests, they got pretty upset and said he wasn't doing it right and that they do it per the official SAE tests methods and what they published was accurate.

So, you have to take these guys in their garages doing their own made up tests with some caution.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 09-03-2006 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:10 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Not to get all scientific here but the Pure One oil filters cost me about 4-5 lbs of pressure as compared to the Mobil 1 filter. That's pretty significant. I won't run them again.

My $.02
Old 09-03-2006, 08:51 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I couldn't get my usual Baldwin last oil change, so I opted for the K&N simply because of its flow ability. Filtering is pretty good also. Unfortunately, the cost is out of line but I don't change the oil very often (time wise) so I am not going to worry about the extra few bucks.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:02 AM
BobbyG
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I use K&N on mine...
Old 09-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Hardtop01
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used the PureOne filter, and have not noticed any reduction in oil pressure.

Bruce
Old 09-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Old 09-03-2006, 08:39 PM
ROJ#79
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I use Wix on mine the NASCAR Filter!
Old 09-04-2006, 06:06 AM
02bluez28
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change the oil in the vette yesterday, and put A K&N oil filter on for the first time... the flow rate's are very good
Old 09-04-2006, 12:54 PM
1Corvette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Purolator is an old and trusted company. I am sure if you had any oil related failures due to the filter they would quickly rectify your problem. More pleats in the filter equals more filtering area, and more capacity to trap dirt and contaminants. A few weeks ago a fellow forum member posted that he had hit a speed bump and pulled the nut on the bottom of a K&N filter partially off causing him to loose most of his oil in the mall parking lot. K&N may be good, but not for me. I have used Wix or Napa for years with no problems or failures. Like ROJ#79 I will stay with Wix. I have cut many filters open and the Wix is always a high quality filter with steel coil springs for the bypass, a steel core and plenty of filtering surface area. Find a name brand you like and stick with it.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Mr. Lucky
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I couldn't get my usual Baldwin last oil change, so I opted for the K&N simply because of its flow ability. Filtering is pretty good also.
There used to be a really comprehensive and authoritative study at oilfilterstudy.com. Unfortunately, the site no longer seems to exist. If anyone knows of its new home, or a mirror of the old site, please post it! The concensus was that the OEM filter was excellent at filtration, but not so good at flow. The best flowing filters were Baldwin and K&N. I use Baldwin B31 exclusively, and buy it by the case here.

Get notified of new replies

To Purolator PureOne Oil Filter -- Restrictive?

Quick Reply: Purolator PureOne Oil Filter -- Restrictive?