C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights come up when I turn on parking lamps

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 07:06 PM
double-oh-coupe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlights come up when I turn on parking lamps

As the title states, when I turn on my parking lights, my headlights come up. I do have the infamous stripped gear on one of my headlights that I need to fix ... could these two things be connected? Anyone else had this problem, and how did you solve it?

Thanks in advance,
Chris ...
Old 09-05-2006, 07:31 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny, I have the same exact problem. One stripped gear, and the headlights come up when I turn on the parking lights. I already ordered new gears, but what to do about the headlights coming up?
Old 09-05-2006, 07:35 PM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

It's a feature...not a flaw

Let us know how you guys remedy this.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:37 PM
double-oh-coupe
Pro

Originally Posted by jbauch357
Funny, I have the same exact problem. One stripped gear, and the headlights come up when I turn on the parking lights. I already ordered new gears, but what to do about the headlights coming up?
Got my new gears on order too ... hopefully that solves it. I'll post it up (good or bad) when I install. It's good too hear, though, there is at least one other out there with the same symptoms/problem! Makes me think it is related ... Good luck.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:14 PM
blk04z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe a bad light switch?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:18 PM
UncleFodder
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow - what timing! I'm in the garage as I type this, about to change my gear (gulp!) I have the exact problem (search on my name, you'll find my post/thread about this from about 3 weeks ago). It is said, once you replace the worn gear, the headlights act normally again (do not pop up just on running/fog lights). Wish me luck!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:19 PM
dudleyd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blk04z
Maybe a bad light switch?
Nope,
It's the striped gear. Replace the gear and and all will work as it should.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:17 PM
UncleFodder
Burning Brakes

Whew - ok the motor is out. Medium PITA to do so. Hope my fat hands can reach those nuts again on reinstall...
Old 09-05-2006, 10:57 PM
UncleFodder
Burning Brakes

Looks like that's all my fun for tonight - the epoxy doesn't look like it is going to set up any time soon, so I've decided to let it sit overnight and reattach everything in the morning.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:52 AM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

did my gear replacement tonight and it was a snap, parking lights have returned back to normal operation. the light comes up and down at just barely a different rate than the stock gear, but nothing that is going to bother me. the only annoying thing is that I have a little squeak when the lamp comes back down, but it goes away if I hold on to the motor - interesting...
Old 09-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Medivh
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem earlier this year too. I took it to the dealership, and the problem ended up being a control module or the actual left stick on the steering wheel that controls the headlights.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:38 AM
Crooze
Advanced

I had a stripped gear earlier this year and replaced it and it's been working fine until this morning. When I arrived at work and turn my lights off they both went down but the light with the replaced gear popped back up! I opened the hood used the **** to crank it back down and it wouldn't take it all of the way down. I had to push it all of the way. So I turned them on and off again with the exact same result. Anybody have any ideas? I wouldn't think that big brass gear stripped.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:26 AM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When this problem was first posted, I was VERY doubtful that a stripped actuator gear would cause the headlights to incorrectly pop up when turning the switch to Parking Lights. But I was VERY WRONG!

I had the same issue a few weeks ago and discovered that they are indeed related. When one of the headlight gears goes bad, the motor continues to run a few seconds after to headlight door closes because there is not "stop" detected. That stop is what signals the headlight control module to switch power off to that motor (the stop causes the motor to increase current momentarily which the control module detects). Power to the motor does turn off after a few seconds of run-on due to some other timing circuit is my assumption.

So when no stop is detected, the headlight control module becomes confused. The headlight switch provides the CLOSE signal to the headlight control module only when the switch is OFF, so if the control module is confused, turning the switch to PARKING removes the OFF signal and the control module uses that as if the headlights were previously ON (i.e. keeps them raised).

Once I replaced the gear the problem no longer occurs.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:06 AM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crooze
I had a stripped gear earlier this year and replaced it and it's been working fine until this morning. When I arrived at work and turn my lights off they both went down but the light with the replaced gear popped back up! I opened the hood used the **** to crank it back down and it wouldn't take it all of the way down. I had to push it all of the way. So I turned them on and off again with the exact same result. Anybody have any ideas? I wouldn't think that big brass gear stripped.
If the headlight popped back up (I assume partially) check that the plastic stop that the motor arm hits in full close position has not fallen off or snapped. If it has, that will allow the actuator arm to continue past it's normal point.

What worries me is you're saying you can push the headlight down - I assume you still need to manually turn the ****. Check that the motor housing cover that you glued back didn't snap apart.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:08 AM
UncleFodder
Burning Brakes

Just finished mine, all is fixed again - no more grind, and fogs (only!) come on at the first switch position. Ah, no more fear going out at night, worried someone would hear that nasty grinding noise when killing the lights...
Old 09-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Crooze
Advanced

Originally Posted by JC in XTC5
If the headlight popped back up (I assume partially) check that the plastic stop that the motor arm hits in full close position has not fallen off or snapped. If it has, that will allow the actuator arm to continue past it's normal point.

What worries me is you're saying you can push the headlight down - I assume you still need to manually turn the ****. Check that the motor housing cover that you glued back didn't snap apart.
I haven't had a chance to take a good look at it. Turning the **** will only take it about 90-95% down and then I have to actually place my hand on the top pf the light and push it the rest of the way.

I'm with you in thinking that the stop has broken or fallen off or the cover has come unglued.

Thanks for your iniput!
Old 09-06-2006, 11:23 AM
UncleFodder
Burning Brakes

Another possibility - the motor portion of the assembly attaches to the gear assembly by virtue of four metal tabs bent at 90 degrees holding it all together. Some of the info I've read talks about those tabs getting loose and allowing too much slack/tolerance. Simple fix is to smack those suckers back down tight once while the motor is out.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlights come up when I turn on parking lamps

Old 09-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Point & Shoot
Racer

Same issue happened when my right front headlight gear went. Glad to hear it's caused by that. I've redone the headlight motor with rodney's bronze gear twice but the epoxy doesn't hold past 3 months. Any ideas?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:30 PM
double-oh-coupe
Pro

Thanks for all the replys guys ... good to know that my problem will be fixed once I get my new gears installed! Man I love this place!
Old 09-06-2006, 11:05 PM
UncleFodder
Burning Brakes

Man I hope my epoxy holds...One guy wrote about getting very small screws (eyeglass size, I believe) and using those to keep the cover on, obviously keeping them out of the works.

Quick Reply: Headlights come up when I turn on parking lamps