C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the battery -uhoh!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 07:35 PM
mike85mph
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Replacing the battery -uhoh!!

OEM battery died so replaced with Optima Red Top - understand that may be a mistake but it's done now.

All went well untill I unscrewed the positive terminal on the old battery, and when I did it started leaking fluid. After p[ulling the battery I noted the pan was wet with it. I dried the pan before putting the new battery in and what I could see under the pan looked good - no evidence of leakage until just when I pulled the postive connection.

The next morning I saw a puddle of liquid under the car and hoped beyond hope that it was water from the air conditioner condensation. However, it was battery acid, and so now I know some leaked through the hole in the battery pan. Now I fear that it dripped onto the PCM or some of the connections or whatever, and I want to neutralize the acid with a baking soda solution. Anyone ever done this berfore? I want to prevent the acid ruining any electronics under there. AM I now doomed to have ot replace at great expense the PCM??? Advise please.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:44 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Raise the car, remove R/F wheel, remove the small close-out panel at the rear of the wheelwell (about 9 or 10 7mm screws). Remove battery and battery tray (4 bolts) too. You will now have easy access to the pcm/tac module area and all the associated wiring harnesses. Make up a couple large bowls full of water baking soda mix and pour all over the wiring/pcm area. Follow-up by pouring fresh water all over the same affected area. The water's no problem as all connections are weatherpack connectors. You need to do this as soon as possible.
Check for signs of acid damage to your wiring harness and/or the small black vacuum hoses you will see in that area as well.

HTH,
Robert
Old 09-07-2006, 08:27 PM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Raise the car, remove R/F wheel, remove the small close-out panel at the rear of the wheelwell (about 9 or 10 7mm screws). Remove battery and battery tray (4 bolts) too. You will now have easy access to the pcm/tac module area and all the associated wiring harnesses. Make up a couple large bowls full of water baking soda mix and pour all over the wiring/pcm area. Follow-up by pouring fresh water all over the same affected area. The water's no problem as all connections are weatherpack connectors. You need to do this as soon as possible.
Check for signs of acid damage to your wiring harness and/or the small black vacuum hoses you will see in that area as well.

HTH,
Robert
I would like to add to this. Spray the area down with WD40 when done with the baking soda bath and fresh water rinse.
Good luck
SC5
Old 09-08-2006, 05:21 PM
RB Racing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to mine also did the baking soda solution washed it out with water and blew it out with compressed air. I also had to touch up the frame rail with paint were the acid got at it.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:30 PM
mike85mph
Pro

Default Thanks!

Took the battery back out and the battery plate off and flushed everything with the baking soda solution and rinsed with water - and sprayed with WD-40 to insure the electric didn't absorb any water somehow. Everything looked real good so I don't think much got on anything - I saw one little spot where some of the frame rail paint we eaten off that I will go back and paint. Didn't have any paint to do that with today. Thanks for the help - I think it will be ok.

Mike
Old 09-08-2006, 10:58 PM
msghuff
Pro

I had a battery explode in my 96 ws6 a long time ago, freak accident... But I ran in the house and grabbed the baking soda out of the fridge and put it everywhere...No damage what so ever was sustained not even a scar...
Old 09-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Jeff Jeff
Burning Brakes

Not sure what you mean about making a mistake by switching to the red top. I have had one for about 5 yrs. with no issues.

I went to the red top due to the acid leak issues. You need to jack up the front right, pull the pcm cover off, and remove the battery. Spray acid neutralizer everywhere that acid made contact. I removed the PCM so I could make sure I got everything. Be sure to hose all areas off with plenty of water and let dry. I used fans for several hours. 5 years later, and no signs of acid damage or any problems due to it.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:52 PM
mike85mph
Pro

Default Red top response

I have read several posts on here where folks said their red top Optima's failed after only a year (or less). I also hear from a friend that if he doesn't drive his often then he has to recharge it and jump start it a lot. I guess I am going to find out for myself!! It's good to hear soemone say they are happy with theirs. I hope mine perfroms as yours has.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Z28TOZO6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I use Lead Acid BAtteries in my line of work. My rep told me if I ever get Battery acid on anything, to use ammonia to neutralize the acid. HAs anyone ever heard that before?
Old 09-11-2006, 01:16 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Another battery alternative is the Exide Orbital. I heard a few too many bad things about the Optima, but have yet to hear anything bad about the Orbital. It's worked fine for me so far (several months).

BTW, I did have the Delco battery leak, and cleaned up the acid with baking soda. However, the more I inspected, the more I saw that the acid dripped everywhere. I have quite a bit of frame repainting to do now.

Michael
Old 09-11-2006, 01:33 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

In my '98, after hearing that many people were having leaking battery issues, I replaced my battery before I had any problems. I installed an Optima red top in 1999. I now have an '03 Z06 with the same red top that I removed from the '98. It is now seven years with the same battery with no problems ever. The car has sat as long as two weeks some times with no tender on it and it always starts perfectly. I also have an Exide Orbital in my street rod which gets driven much less. If the car sits for more than a week and I put the tender on it, it will charge for a while before it goes into storage mode. A friend of mine has had two Exides go bad in a row.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Silver98
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z28TOZO6
I use Lead Acid BAtteries in my line of work. My rep told me if I ever get Battery acid on anything, to use ammonia to neutralize the acid. HAs anyone ever heard that before?
Ammonia mixes with water to rpoduce ammonium hydroxide, a base. So, yes, that should work. Any liquid which has a pH >7.0 will neutralize acid. Warning, ammonia is very volatile, and is not good to inhale, or come in contact with your skin. Be careful handling acid (<6.0 pH) or strong base (>8.0 pH)

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing the battery -uhoh!!

Quick Reply: Replacing the battery -uhoh!!