C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Filter Replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 08:10 AM
Nick1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fuel Filter Replacement??

Does the C5 have the typical GM type in-line filter under the car somewhere? I would appreciate info. as to what and where. Thanks
Old 09-09-2006, 08:44 AM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

There's an in line filter in the back of the car on my '99. I believe mine was between the left rear wheel and the diff. Not real hard to change but you'll need one of those fuel line release tools on the one end.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Here you go. You don't need the removal tool to discconnect the lines. If you want to use it, get the one from GM. The ones at Autozone/OReilly are not the correct ones so don't waste your money there.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:54 AM
FrogmanDave
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tigershark3
There's an in line filter in the back of the car on my '99. I believe mine was between the left rear wheel and the diff. Not real hard to change but you'll need one of those fuel line release tools on the one end.

Hope this helps.
You can get one of those tools at Auto-Zone for around $5.

Dave
Old 09-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Nick1
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone! It sounds like the type I had on my '96 Camaro.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:29 PM
chad4msu
Instructor

yeah i actually just changed mine a couple of days ago. It's in front of the driver's rear wheel kinda closer to the transmission. If you're gonna be doing this on your back, it's easier to crawl from the rear of the car so you won't spill fuel on your face.

also, if you have trouble getting the line off (the one you have to use the little tool on), try holding the line with one hand and - using a screwdriver - use the ground bolt as leverage to gently pry the old filter away from the line. I had a little trouble getting a good grip on everything. So this is what I did instead.

oh yeah, there is an excellent place to put a flashlight on top of the exhaust pipe! it shines right on the area you're working on!
Old 09-09-2006, 03:29 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default fuel filter

See my post about a week ago. If you have an automatic trans you shole loosen the 2 muffler bolts to get the pipe out of the way.
Use a fram or AC filter not one with a metal top.
NO TOOL NEEDED just strong fingers or a small long screwdriver to compress the plastic fasteners at each end.

Good luck It took me about 4 hours.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Nick1
Burning Brakes

Four hours! Sounds like a Camaro/spark plug ordeal....Can't be that bad?? (Famous last words)
Old 09-09-2006, 05:10 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

How many miles do you guys usually change the fuel filter at? I always buy gas from good stations, but I guess it's always possible that they could have bad filters on their pumps. What's the GM manual say?

What's the symptoms on a C5 of a restricted fuel filter?
Old 09-09-2006, 05:27 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
How many miles do you guys usually change the fuel filter at? I always buy gas from good stations, but I guess it's always possible that they could have bad filters on their pumps. What's the GM manual say?

What's the symptoms on a C5 of a restricted fuel filter?
I changed mine at about 60 or 70K miles as I remember. Pretty easy like others have said. I changed it as a "PM" thing, not out of necessity.
GM does not give a service interval on these. It's an "as needed" thing pretty much. The housing is very large and has a lot of filtering capacity
so it's not surprising that a long service would be expected.
One very obvious symptom of a restricted filter would be very low fuel pressure for starters. Very easy to check at the driver's side fuel rail though.
HTH,
Robert
Old 09-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
One very obvious symptom of a restricted filter would be very low fuel pressure for starters. Very easy to check at the driver's side fuel rail though.
HTH,
Robert
Not so easy. A restricted filter would show up first as reduced pressure at full power. You could have a dangerous drop at wide open throttle and still be fine at idle.

I suppose you could run the gauge out the back of your hood, tape it to the windshield, and drive like hell.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:27 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Not so easy. A restricted filter would show up first as reduced pressure at full power. You could have a dangerous drop at wide open throttle and still be fine at idle.

I suppose you could run the gauge out the back of your hood, tape it to the windshield, and drive like hell.
Hey that sounds like fun! A lot depends on the level of restriction too. Enough restriction and idling becomes a moot point.
Think the PCM would trigger some codes when the fuel trims go into the stops from trying to enrich a too lean mixture at WOT?
Old 09-10-2006, 02:53 AM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick1
Does the C5 have the typical GM type in-line filter under the car somewhere?
Depends on the model year of your car. There were at least 3 different style filters for the C5s of which I'm aware. For model years '97 and '98, the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator were separate with the fuel pressure regulator up by the engine on the fuel rail and the filter located on the car's driver side frame just in front of the left wheel well. For model years 1999 through 2002 and partway through 2003, the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator were one assembly located on the car's driver side frame just in front of the left wheel well. Then part way through model year 2003 with introduction of the redesigned FFS fuel system, the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator were moved inside the left fuel tank as part of left fuel sender assembly. The following thread also contains more info on the different style c5 fuel filters.

DIY Fuel Filter

You may want to update your profile with your car's model year, model type (coupe, vert, FRC/Z06), mods and any other pertinent information. This information could be very beneficial to others here when attempting to answer your questions or assist you.

Also you may want to check out the following thread:

Fuel Filter Replacement-Time? Mileage?

HTH and good luck with the filter.

Last edited by GrayC5; 09-10-2006 at 03:02 AM.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Nick1
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I should have included 2004/auto (now in profile), from the above comments it looks like myh filter is in the tank....mmm
Not sure if I like that, I'll check when on the ramps.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Z28TOZO6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the C5 have the typical GM type in-line filter under the car somewhere? I would appreciate info. as to what and where. Thanks
I am not sure if its all models but in 2004 9on the Z06 anyway, they moved the fuel filter into the fuel tank, its a 100K mile filter (allegedly!)
So if you cant find it you know why!
Old 09-10-2006, 06:41 PM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, I should have included 2004/auto (now in profile), from the above comments it looks like myh filter is in the tank....mmm
Not sure if I like that, I'll check when on the ramps.
Yes, as mentioned in some of the links above, all model year 2004 C5s had the redesigned FFS fuel system and the fuel filter is part of the left fuel sender assembly inside the left fuel tank. The left fuel sender assembly is replaced as a complete unit and the tank has to be dropped to replace the sender assembly. For the redesigned system, there is no service interval for fuel filter replacement according to the 2003 GM Service Manual.

Redesigned FFS Fuel System.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:50 AM
Wisdom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick - what symptom are you seeing? Do you smell gas in the garage? Do you see gas drops on the aluminum support for the left gas tank? That's what I had on my 2004 A4 last month. The problem turned out to be that the left fuel tank needed replacing. There are several other posts on this - 2004 was a bad year for the new tanks. They seem to be failing and causing gas leaks. It's about a 4 hour job. Get the manual if you plan to do it yourself.

- Wisdom

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Filter Replacement??

Old 09-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Nick1
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the warning. No symptoms yet just looking toward routine maintenance. Will check soon as noted for leaks, etc.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:10 PM
N0TDADYS_98
Burning Brakes

whats wrong with the parts store's filters? I used a wix and everything seems just fine... i haven't WOT it yet... but i suspect everything will be dandy on my 98...

i used the one where it doesn't use the plastic clips on the outlet side...

also pending time to get car in the air.. transaction was 15mins at best.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:41 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Hey that sounds like fun! A lot depends on the level of restriction too. Enough restriction and idling becomes a moot point.
Think the PCM would trigger some codes when the fuel trims go into the stops from trying to enrich a too lean mixture at WOT?
Negative. The PCM will not trigger a code due to being lean at WOT -- at WOT the computer is in open loop and is not adjusting/correcting fuel trims.

And yes, Warp is right. Small restrictions in the fuel system won't show up at idle, but may show up at WOT (where fuel is needed most!) The best way to know if you have a clogged/faulty fuel filter is a fuel pressure gauge somewhere in the cabin.

By the way, as long as you're not looking for the fuel filter on a 2003.5 and up car, all the advice above is correct, but if it IS a 2003.5 and up car, you have no externally servicable fuel filter.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Replacement??