C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much HP/TQ can a stock LS6 clutch hold?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 04:00 PM
5W0P3
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much HP/TQ can a stock LS6 clutch hold?

How much HP/TQ can a stock LS6 clutch hold? Looking at clutch options right now, and I am curious as to how much the stock LS6 clutch can handle. I've thought about doing an LS7 clutch, but whats most affordable strong clutch, even just a notch or two better than stock LS6?
Old 09-14-2006, 06:03 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by 5W0P3
How much HP/TQ can a stock LS6 clutch hold? Looking at clutch options right now, and I am curious as to how much the stock LS6 clutch can handle. I've thought about doing an LS7 clutch, but whats most affordable strong clutch, even just a notch or two better than stock LS6?

About 300 rwhp. Unfortunately, the ZO6 has about 350 stock. I think the best clutch for the money is the OZ700.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:05 PM
5W0P3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by zeevette
About 300 rwhp. Unfortunately, the ZO6 has about 350 stock. I think the best clutch for the money is the OZ700.
How is that possible?! I dyno' stock @ 351rwhp 338 torque. Now i have 390rwhp. 390 is holding fine, no slipping. Dont understand it.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:28 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Originally Posted by 5W0P3
How is that possible?! I dyno' stock @ 351rwhp 338 torque. Now i have 390rwhp. 390 is holding fine, no slipping. Dont understand it.
Alot depends on your driving habits. If you habitually use the car to its full potential, your stock clutch is on borrowed time. This is true of most cars, however. I still have the stock clutch, and I have 449/423, but then I drive pretty easy. I never have raced from a dig (standing start) in the 3+ years I've owned the car, but even so, I imagine I'll need a clutch sooner, rather than later. One of the common clues you're about to have clutch problems is difficulty shifting, and the classic pedal sticking to the floor.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:31 PM
5W0P3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by zeevette
Alot depends on your driving habits. If you habitually use the car to its full potential, your stock clutch is on borrowed time. This is true of most cars, however. I still have the stock clutch, and I have 449/423, but then I drive pretty easy. I never have raced from a dig (standing start) in the 3+ years I've owned the car, but even so, I imagine I'll need a clutch sooner, rather than later. One of the common clues you're about to have clutch problems is difficulty shifting, and the classic pedal sticking to the floor.
I had the classic floor sticking... and VERY VERY VERY VERY rare, like 2-3 times in past 2 months it would be a "Weird shift"..... then a couple nights ago it got locked in 4th... something broke.

I dont know if i should put a stock z06 clutch in, or upgrade it. I only want to do it once, and i want to do it now, while its apart.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:59 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

Yeah I'd also like to know the best clutch for the money - the damns things arent cheap! What about an LS7 clutch? Do they work in our C5's?

zeevette, come on dude, the stock Z06/LS6 clutch can certainly handle more than 300rwhp, unless its only used for drag racing on slicks 24/7 or something, lol.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:03 PM
5W0P3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kbreese
Yeah I'd also like to know the best clutch for the money - the damns things arent cheap! What about an LS7 clutch? Do they work in our C5's?

zeevette, come on dude, the stock Z06/LS6 clutch can certainly handle more than 300rwhp, unless its only used for drag racing on slicks 24/7 or something, lol.
I'm considering the LS7 clutch aswell, except i've heard of still having the sticky pedal. It will work, but you have to change the flywheel to an LS2/LS7 flywheel, it wont work with an LS1 flywheel.

I believe a vendor here as the LS7 clutch for $499 and maybe some shipping, i'm very strongly considering it. I've done some research on it, and people either love it or hate it.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:34 PM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

do a search on this one before getting the the ls7 clutch. there have been a few posts on it not being as good as other options. as for the stock z06 clutch do a search for ranger. he had many passes on his stock clutch and didnt seen to have much problem at all. he put down sub 12 second runs with his z on the stock clutch. he has quite a few posts in clutch threads and has a great deal of experiance with the subject. could save you some cash and headache.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:37 PM
5W0P3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2000FRCZ19
do a search on this one before getting the the ls7 clutch. there have been a few posts on it not being as good as other options. as for the stock z06 clutch do a search for ranger. he had many passes on his stock clutch and didnt seen to have much problem at all. he put down sub 12 second runs with his z on the stock clutch. he has quite a few posts in clutch threads and has a great deal of experiance with the subject. could save you some cash and headache.
yea i've read what he's said about the LS7. I think if i left my car where its at now, a LS6 clutch would go back in, but i see a cam and the go-go juice coming soon also. might aswell fix it right now
Old 09-14-2006, 07:43 PM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

yea i am going to do a can heads swap in the future and have been checking out the clutch thing also. right now my stocker is great but i am not too sure it will be good for 450 rwhp. so when i do the h/c i am going to do a clutch also. i am just a little nervous about the ls7 clutch because of some of the negative feedback it has gotten even though not everyone hates it. i just worry i might not be happy with it either. that is a lot of work and expense to go through to fix. you might go to the f/i section and see what they are running on their cars and what they have had luck with.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:35 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

A word to the wise, if you plan to do launches, avoid the LS7 clutch. I don't know a single C6Z owner who launches that likes the LS7 clutch.

This is in marked contrast to the LS6 clutch which racers had high praise for.

Here are my views from previous posts:

A stock LS6 clutch would take a 5200 launch with minimal slip and do so repeatedly. One Fall day in 2004 at an Atco track rental, I hot-lapped my stock/CAI 2002 Z06 on MT ET Street Radials...three passes back-to-back with no cool down of the clutch and the passes about four minutes apart. Three launches at 5100-5200 gave a very strong leave, with 60' within a hundredth of 1.64.

An LS7 clutch on a stock 2006 Z06 won't accept one launch of 4200, or even 4000 without glazing the clutch and requiring an hour's cool down.

Now if you drop the launch rpm to 3500 and get the clutch out fast and then, and only then, start the throttle squeeze...the LS7 clutch tolerates that. If instead you get aggressive with the throttle before the clutch is engaged, it will glaze instantly...and will do so even at 2800 or 2500. The clutch material (PP and rotating disc) simply are slip intolerant.

My clutch is 100% fine at high rpms and on the shifts. Very positive. No issue. Provided it wasn't slipped at all on the launch.

It is at launch where this clutch is a supremely weak performer.

That would seem to indicate the issue is heat intolerance rather than clamping force.

Ranger
Old 09-14-2006, 09:53 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

Sounds like King Ranger is a fan of our stock C5 Z06 clutches And for street use on street tires, I'd say based on his assessment it should be good up to 450rwhp. Perhaps I am overestimating, but thats what I got out of what he said...
Old 09-15-2006, 12:28 PM
Ryan Wilson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm at 467rwhp/412rwtq running a stock LS6 clutch and spec aluminum flywheel. I've felt a tiny bit of slip in 2nd gear once, but so far seems to be holding up pretty well.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:37 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Originally Posted by kbreese

Well, of course I was being a bit facetious, but with an undercurrent of truth as well. I think one of the causes of clutch failure is due to the built-in restrictions GM designs in the slave line. One remedy is to drill out the restrictions, and another is to substitute one from an F-bod, which only has one, instead of three line restrictions. This is all stuff I've read, not experienced, so, grain of salt required.I do know this, if and when my clutch becomes an issue, I'll not be replacing it with the factory unit, either LS6 or 7. I've heard nothing but good things about the Textrailia clutches, and since it's such a PITA to do a clutch, I'll be doing this one.

Get notified of new replies

To How much HP/TQ can a stock LS6 clutch hold?

Quick Reply: How much HP/TQ can a stock LS6 clutch hold?