C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual timing chain/oil pump fit issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 05:10 PM
22655td
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dual timing chain/oil pump fit issue

Guys
I am building a LS2 based forged stroker/bore build up.
I am using the Motion dual timing chain set up that uses spacers for the oil pump. That all good. So now I have found a NEW STYLE Melling oil pump that has .250 wider rotor in it to pump more volume and pressure. I have heard of other Melling pump issues but this is a differant pump
http://data.melling.com/Select/

My problem now is that the pump is hitting SLIGHTY on the inside of the timing cover. No one makes an aftermarket timig cover for the LS2 yet.
Quicktime makes a deeper cover for the LS1/6 which also allows cam removal without crank pulley being pulled. They will have a LS2 cover out soon

The interferance is so slight that I believe I can juts remove alittle from the pump on one little corner and maybe a little off the cover.

Any body have any other ideas?
What is the new 427 LS7 cover look like, is it differant than the LS2?
Thanks
Old 09-20-2006, 07:42 PM
DRIVER456
Melting Slicks

Location: NY- 2013 Corvette Challenge Champion-2013 Index Combo Champion 2015 CC/MM Champion
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

That"s what I did,I took a little bit of material off the pump & cover.................Paul
Old 09-21-2006, 04:46 PM
22655td
Advanced

Paul,
1-What oil pump did you have? Melling, SLP or OEM
2-Did you use spacers
3-What dual timing chain did you use? Motion, SLP
4-Was it and LS1/6 or LS2
Thanks, I trying to get a pattern here
It doesn't look like much, just enough to make an issue
Old 09-21-2006, 05:01 PM
DRIVER456
Melting Slicks

Location: NY- 2013 Corvette Challenge Champion-2013 Index Combo Champion 2015 CC/MM Champion
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 22655td
Paul,
1-What oil pump did you have? Melling, SLP or OEM
2-Did you use spacers
3-What dual timing chain did you use? Motion, SLP
4-Was it and LS1/6 or LS2
Thanks, I trying to get a pattern here
It doesn't look like much, just enough to make an issue
I ported & shimed my stock oil pump,I have Crane Cams dual adj. roller and I had to put spacer's behind the pump.97 LS1........................Paul
Old 09-22-2006, 12:08 PM
22655td
Advanced

thanks. I guess it happens on all dual chain set ups when you space the the pump out.
You would think that the dual chain builders that are shipping the spacers would inlighten people that the punp will hit the cover.
Nothing with my chain kit mentioned it.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:12 PM
BlueRag
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys
I am building a LS2 based forged stroker/bore build up.
I am using the Motion dual timing chain set up that uses spacers for the oil pump. That all good. So now I have found a NEW STYLE Melling oil pump that has .250 wider rotor in it to pump more volume and pressure. I have heard of other Melling pump issues but this is a differant pump
http://data.melling.com/Select/

My problem now is that the pump is hitting SLIGHTY on the inside of the timing cover. No one makes an aftermarket timig cover for the LS2 yet.
Quicktime makes a deeper cover for the LS1/6 which also allows cam removal without crank pulley being pulled. They will have a LS2 cover out soon

The interferance is so slight that I believe I can juts remove alittle from the pump on one little corner and maybe a little off the cover.

Any body have any other ideas?
What is the new 427 LS7 cover look like, is it differant than the LS2?
Thanks
I installed a rollmaster double roller and the SLP high volume pump on my wifes 2002 5.3l (pretty much a smaller displacement LS1). I had to put a 3" flat grinding disk on my drill and ground a small amount (.025"?) off the inner surface of the timing cover behind the crank seal area. That gave me the clearance I wanted to prevent any interference between the cover and the pump. That was last December and no problems so far...

Old 09-22-2006, 08:29 PM
DRIVER456
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07

thanks. I guess it happens on all dual chain set ups when you space the the pump out.
You would think that the dual chain builders that are shipping the spacers would inlighten people that the punp will hit the cover.
Nothing with my chain kit mentioned it.
Yea ,Nobody told me either.I did mine back in Feb. and I didn't read anything about a clearance problem,Oh well.Winter is around the corner,have to think of next mod ..................Paul
Old 09-25-2006, 09:45 AM
22655td
Advanced

When using a LS2 block, double roller chain, melling oil pump

There is more to it than a little grinding on the front cover.

1-You have to remove some of the boss (about half) inside the LS2 cover area for the postion sensor bolt hole.
2- Also had to remove about .150 of material from the backside of the front seal area
3- Have to grind away from left inside of the front cover where it rubs the oil pump.
Some sone needs to make a slighty deeper LS2 front cover that keeps the Cam postion sensor in place.
As far as I know no one makes one yet for this set up on a ls2

Get notified of new replies

To Dual timing chain/oil pump fit issue

Quick Reply: Dual timing chain/oil pump fit issue