C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Fluid Capacity Please !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 06:50 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Power Steering Fluid Capacity Please !!

I'm going to flush my power steering fluid with Redline fluid and need to know how much to get.......I gotta know right away (want to pick it up on my way home)....hope some one knows

Did a search but couldn't find it....

DH
Old 09-22-2006, 06:52 PM
JEEP/C5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure but I would think two pints (one quart) would do it.

I would buy extra and save the receipt and take one back if need be.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

1.7 pints (.81 L)
Old 09-23-2006, 12:13 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
1.7 pints (.81 L)
Thanks

DH
Old 09-12-2020, 11:34 AM
Bluemill
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Default I checked my 2000 GM factory service manual- volume I

The exact amount of PS fluid for the system is not listed in the FSM, or the owner's manual. I did find in section 2-22 of volume 1 the procedure for flushing the system. After draining the system it says to add one quart of fluid, let the pump do it's thing for a while, turn rack to rack gently, then turn off engine, before it warms up, then top up to the cold mark on the PS reservoir cap dip stick. So, this indicates to me 1-2 qts., likely 1.25-1.5.

Now I have to make up my mind to stick with my old rack which is leaking very slowly, or replacing it with a remanufactured one. I'm needing a main crank seal or possibly a harmonic balancer, as there is a lot of oil on the bottom of the LS-1, emanating from the crank. In order to work on that you must drop the steering rack.

Yours,

Bluemill
Old 09-12-2020, 01:42 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluemill
The exact amount of PS fluid for the system is not listed in the FSM, or the owner's manual. I did find in section 2-22 of volume 1 the procedure for flushing the system. After draining the system it says to add one quart of fluid, let the pump do it's thing for a while, turn rack to rack gently, then turn off engine, before it warms up, then top up to the cold mark on the PS reservoir cap dip stick. So, this indicates to me 1-2 qts., likely 1.25-1.5.

Now I have to make up my mind to stick with my old rack which is leaking very slowly, or replacing it with a remanufactured one. I'm needing a main crank seal or possibly a harmonic balancer, as there is a lot of oil on the bottom of the LS-1, emanating from the crank. In order to work on that you must drop the steering rack.

Yours,

Bluemill
Good info to know, but this thread is 14 years old......
Old 09-29-2020, 02:07 PM
Bluemill
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Adding content for searches....

I came upon this thread as a result of a search for the capacity info. More often than not, Google directs me to an old Corvette Forum thread in answering Corvette questions- I'm thinking there are a lot of weirdos like me that might add info to an old thread... Conversely, when I try to find the answer via a search at the Forum, I'll come up empty, which only makes sense when you think of Google's massive data storage.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bluemill:
99 Black Bird TA (09-05-2021), DKing81 (07-21-2023), lobuzz311 (02-22-2022)
Old 06-02-2021, 03:28 PM
bigjeff1222
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluemill
I came upon this thread as a result of a search for the capacity info. More often than not, Google directs me to an old Corvette Forum thread in answering Corvette questions- I'm thinking there are a lot of weirdos like me that might add info to an old thread... Conversely, when I try to find the answer via a search at the Forum, I'll come up empty, which only makes sense when you think of Google's massive data storage.
Spoiler

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Fluid Capacity Please !!

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid Capacity Please !!