C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Pedal Stop Installed - Writeup/Pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 09:24 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Still waiting for the final verdict after some thrashing Chuck. My hopes are running high.

Have not put it back on yet.... I had to take it off when I had my new Cartek clutch put in.. I am still breaking it in.. GOt another 250 miles or so before the thrashing begins..

But I now have to replace the freakin CV boot on the passenger side.. Blew open and made a mess!
Old 11-17-2006, 09:27 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by chuckster
Have not put it back on yet.... I had to take it off when I had my new Cartek clutch put in.. I am still breaking it in.. GOt another 250 miles or so before the thrashing begins..

But I now have to replace the freakin CV boot on the passenger side.. Blew open and made a mess!
Got duct tape?
Old 01-01-2007, 07:10 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Great write up I will be call ECS tomorrow and ask more about this mod as I do my new Txtrallian setup
Old 01-01-2007, 07:36 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

When you originally installed this fix, were you still running the stock clutch at that time? I am going to check my pedal travel when I get the car out again. Need to make mental note of this item.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,286 Likes on 13,962 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Great writeup - thanks for sharing your solution to this with us.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:47 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Originally Posted by vettenuts
When you originally installed this fix, were you still running the stock clutch at that time? I am going to check my pedal travel when I get the car out again. Need to make mental note of this item.

Yep, I had the original clutch when I installed it.. Funny.. I have since moved my seat back a bit and learned not to bottom out the clutch..

Seems like I can rest my heel on the floor and simply pivot my foot to release the clutch.. I am at full release without ever picking up my foot.. I have been shifing this way during the clutch breakin and like it..

I may not even put the stop back in at this point.. I know... I am YOu may see it for sale shortly..
Old 01-02-2007, 06:19 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

If I have that much travel on mine, it would certainly help my wife because she has the seat way up to get the clutch to the floor.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:08 PM
gpracer1
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I have an idea. What if you were to mount a small shock absorber to the pedal....like on a R/C car. Using heavy shock oil, you could shift fast and not over extend. You would mount it so that the shock hits the stop right after the clutch is disengaged. Then keep pressing to compress the shock. Then when you want to start the car you just have to hit the shock portion of travel and slowly depress the shock travel till you make the switch. Its like a hard buffer at the end of the clutch pedal travel.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:13 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by gpracer1
I have an idea. What if you were to mount a small shock absorber to the pedal....like on a R/C car. Using heavy shock oil, you could shift fast and not over extend. You would mount it so that the shock hits the stop right after the clutch is disengaged. Then keep pressing to compress the shock. Then when you want to start the car you just have to hit the shock portion of travel and slowly depress the shock travel till you make the switch. Its like a hard buffer at the end of the clutch pedal travel.
That’s pretty inventive! The only issue that comes to mind is the return rate of the pedal and disengagement of the clutch being too slow. It might make doing burnouts a tad tricky!
Old 01-03-2007, 02:32 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

How are you starting the car, you cut off the tab that contacts the starter interrupt switch right? Don’t know how you by-passed it but I think Mr. Patton is incorrect… you ARE the Clutchster!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:37 AM
gpracer1
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tstar
That’s pretty inventive! The only issue that comes to mind is the return rate of the pedal and disengagement of the clutch being too slow. It might make doing burnouts a tad tricky!
Actually the shock would only be mounted to either the car end or the pedal end. The other end would have a rubber stopper on it. So the shock only makes contact at the point when you want. Then it compresses slowly.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:39 AM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

How are you starting the car, you cut off the tab that contacts the starter interrupt switch right?
Go back and look at the install pics on page 1... the ECS designed clutch travel limiter has an adjustable screw with a flat washer top that depresses the starter switch. One adjustment is for how far off the floor it stops, and the other is for when it contacts the switch. Kudos to ECS for the design, Carolina Clutch for selling it, and to Chuck for brining it to our attention and the great write-up
Old 01-03-2007, 07:58 PM
bowtiebubba
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I had the original clutch when I installed it.. Funny.. I have since moved my seat back a bit and learned not to bottom out the clutch..

Seems like I can rest my heel on the floor and simply pivot my foot to release the clutch.. I am at full release without ever picking up my foot.. I have been shifing this way during the clutch breakin and like it..

I may not even put the stop back in at this point.. I know... I am YOu may see it for sale shortly..
If you decide to sell,im interested.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:41 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Originally Posted by nuke61
Go back and look at the install pics on page 1... the ECS designed clutch travel limiter has an adjustable screw with a flat washer top that depresses the starter switch. One adjustment is for how far off the floor it stops, and the other is for when it contacts the switch. Kudos to ECS for the design, Carolina Clutch for selling it, and to Chuck for brining it to our attention and the great write-up

Actually that Tab is I am not even using the stop right now and the switch is still making contact with the pedal...
Old 01-04-2007, 01:29 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

OK that makes sense now.... kinda!

Anyone think of a DIY one of these yet other then a block of wood? $75 seems steep for a drilled and tapped block of aluminum.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:33 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

OK that makes sense now.... kinda!

Anyone think of a DIY one of these yet other then a block of wood? $75 seems steep for a drilled and tapped block of aluminum.
Well, I'm thinking of putting in a block of wood.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:56 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Originally Posted by nuke61
Well, I'm thinking of putting in a block of wood.
2x4 should work great as a test..

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Pedal Stop Installed - Writeup/Pics

Old 05-16-2010, 09:01 AM
dquagliaroli
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default thanks

As you know I have found a clutch pedal stop that is custom made by Carolina Clutch.. I have researched and found that overextending the clutch also contributes to sticky pedal.. My main goal was to help eliminate the sticky pedal syndrome and secondarily increase my shifting speed.

http://www.carolinaclutch.com/ShowItem/110183.aspx

I finally installed and tested it. After looking at it I decided to mod it before installing it... The bolt with the big washer on it is to depress the starter interlock switch and the unheaded bolt is used as the actual STOP. I felt the unheaded bolt was a bit too pointy and could cause a wear point on the floorboard...

Original Stop

I went to Home Depot and replaced it with a 3" Carriage Bolt.. The letters CBH. It is just a bit longer than the original stud and offers more surface area for the stop..

Now to install it.. You need to cut the tab off the side of the clutch pedal to mount this stop.. I used my mini hacksaw. The Tab was only intended to press the start interlock switch.. I found out even without the tab it still works fine..

After it is off, I filed the rough edges smooth..

Here is a pic of it in the mounted position

Here is a pic of it in the fully depressed position. You can clearly see where the stop bolt makes contact with the steel plate on the floor..

I adjusted it so that when the clutch pedal is bottomed out all I need to do is lift about 1/2" and it just starts to engage. I will make this a tad bit more for safety..

The Test Drive... Takes a second to get used to it.. but I love the feel! I noticed the car shifts much smoother now.. Not as jerky when there was 3 extra inches of pedal play before engagement.. And Quick shifting is like lightning now.. Scary fast.. I need get used to it...

I spoke to the owner of Carolina Clutch for quite a while on the phone.. He explained that this is mainly to keep from overextending the clutch. This contributes GREATLY to the Sticky Pedal syndrome as once you are past the release point that centrifical force can keep it there..
Ordered mine right after reading your detailed write-up. Pictures and after install commentary were great. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2010, 09:58 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Forgot I had it until this thread came back up. I haven't worked on the car in over two years Hope I can find it as I put the car back together.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Holy old thread revival batman. I've never heard of this before. Interesting idea. I guess though it wasn't the definitive fix for the sticky pedal syndrome?

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Stop Installed - Writeup/Pics