C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another failed EBCM!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 09:43 AM
knightryder
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another failed EBCM!

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new here and in need of some help but the first thing I wanna say is that this forum rocks!!!! It has helped me out with so many issues with my 2001.

My problem is with the EBCM i think it has failed with the code C1214. I have searched and done all the suggested troubleshooting such as checking all grounds, cleaning the connectors and checking the wheel sensors. I'm pretty sure the EBCM is shot, so im trying to find a replacment one. Does anyone know of any good hook up's on the part. I have a few options but I thought I would open this up to the forums for help.

Options
1. Get it done by the stealership and pay over $2600 + tax
2. Get my EBCM rebuilt by Modulemaster for around $400 (I'm leaning towards this option)
3. Find the part at a auto wrecker or another vendor

If you guys know where i can get the part fairly cheap or any info on modulemaster i would greatly appreciate it.

Also if any one has the part numbers for the module that would be awesome. Its a 2001 auto vert.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2006, 09:55 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

It may be worth checking with Gene's Carshop. He's fixed up a lot of members with parts. Fred Beans and Fichtner Chevrolet are also Forum Vendors and do a good deal on new ones.

http://www.geneskarshop.com/
Old 11-03-2006, 11:36 AM
knightryder
Heel & Toe

Thanks DeeGee! I emailed him.

Anyone else with suggestions?
Old 11-03-2006, 07:31 PM
knightryder
Heel & Toe

bump
Old 11-03-2006, 07:38 PM
CMYC4GO
Melting Slicks

You can find some pretty good deals on used ones from $500-$700 if you call around. They are a piece of cake to install yourself...about 1/2 hour to do the job.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:45 PM
MR1911
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just some food for thought

1. Get it done by the stealership and pay over $2600 + tax
2. Get my EBCM rebuilt by Modulemaster for around $400 (I'm leaning towards this option)
3. Find the part at a auto wrecker or another vendor

How long warrt. are the gonna give you ? ??????

1: ??? usually 1 year on parts liftime labor (not much labor )

2: I think they give you 3 years ???

3 : ??? 1-3 month maybe if any (Fred Bean will give a year )

All above know they have us all by the b@lls so ....
Option 2 please
Old 11-03-2006, 07:48 PM
jerrymcb
Safety Car

I have the same problem and have not addressed i yet. Module master
is one of the places I am considering. There is another in florida
that was iniatially higher in price. They are now 325 plus shipping
for a rebuild with a lifetime guarentee. I do not remember their name
but you can find them with a search on Ebay. They appear to be an
established company repairing a number of automotive electronic
componets.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Did you check underhood fuses #52 and #5?
Bill
Old 11-04-2006, 01:37 PM
knightryder
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the input guys!

I think I'll take it apart and ship it for rebuilding to modulemaster. For the price and warantee I dont think I can beat it. Oh yeah I checked all the fuses, they are all fine.

Has anyone else dealt with Modulemaster? How's their service?

Also any tips for taking the ECBM out, I dont have a lift so I'm gonna be doing it from the top. If anyone has any pics of the steps that would be great.

Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2006, 07:19 PM
easyvette
Burning Brakes

I thought the EBCM was under passenger floor mat? Behind the little panel on an angle.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by easyvette
I thought the EBCM was under passenger floor mat? Behind the little panel on an angle.
I think he meant to say EBTCM, (Electronic Brake Traction Control Module) . The C1214 code is a fault related to that system.

Last edited by Greg_E; 11-04-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:20 PM
trussme
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Installing the EBCM...

[Also any tips for taking the ECBM out, I dont have a lift so I'm gonna be doing it from the top. If anyone has any pics of the steps that would be great.

HAVE YOU READ the PM I SENT YOU on this? I have what you need to install it...
Old 11-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Ebcm Out!

Mine went nuts about 4 months ago (2001 Z06). dealer covered it even thugh it was obviously out of warranty. why the dealer comped it instead of using my GM zero deductible extended warranty is a mystery. Because of the way the dealer handled the problem, I got stuck for a $120 bill the next month when I got a bill for the taxes on the loaner

By the way, when my EBCM crapped out, GM had ZERO of them in stock in the world, meaning I had to wait 3 1/2 weeks dor Delco to build a new one.

As a result of my inconvenience ( = driving a Malibu Maxx rental for 3 1/2 weeks while my Corvette was at the dealership) GM gave me a letter of credit for $1500 against a new car, but I cannot think of one GM vehicle I want now. I will probably buy my wife a new Honda CRV and throw the letter in the trash (it is non-transferrable and expires in April 2007).
Old 11-09-2006, 10:12 AM
knightryder
Heel & Toe

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll be sending it out for a rebuild to Modulemaster sometime next week. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:17 AM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z.06
Mine went nuts about 4 months ago (2001 Z06). dealer covered it even thugh it was obviously out of warranty. why the dealer comped it instead of using my GM zero deductible extended warranty is a mystery. Because of the way the dealer handled the problem, I got stuck for a $120 bill the next month when I got a bill for the taxes on the loaner

By the way, when my EBCM crapped out, GM had ZERO of them in stock in the world, meaning I had to wait 3 1/2 weeks dor Delco to build a new one.

As a result of my inconvenience ( = driving a Malibu Maxx rental for 3 1/2 weeks while my Corvette was at the dealership) GM gave me a letter of credit for $1500 against a new car, but I cannot think of one GM vehicle I want now. I will probably buy my wife a new Honda CRV and throw the letter in the trash (it is non-transferrable and expires in April 2007).

Why were you responsible for "TAXES" on a loaner from the dealership?
Old 11-09-2006, 12:26 PM
TNTC5
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I been hear alot of EBCM gone bad, can some of you tell me what should i watch for? I do have alot of codes from time to time. For example: Reduce engine power, traction control etc...
Old 11-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Optimus_C5
Le Mans Master

Location: If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. South West Florida / Livin' The Dream
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I started getting all the ABS / Traction Control messages and codes about 2 months ago. At first they were intermittent, would only come on when the engine was restarted after a 10 mile or so ride. I checked and cleaned all the grounds, but it had no effect. 2 weeks ago the lights and message started coming on all the time so I decided it's time to correct the problem. I thought about a new one from GM parts direct at $600 +, but decided to go with a rebuild. I looked at ModuleMasters and Auto and Truck Electronics and decided to send it to Auto and Truck Electronics at the website below. It was repaired and was scheduled to ship out today. I should have it back next Tuesday and I'll let you know how it worked out.
http://www.autoecu.com/

No real reason why I went with Auto and Truck Electronics other than they are closer to where I live and should speed up the process.

Get notified of new replies

To Another failed EBCM!

Old 11-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Optimus_C5
Le Mans Master

Location: If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. South West Florida / Livin' The Dream
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Just got the EBCM back and installed it. All the lights are off. ABS & TC working normally. No lights or codes after a 15 mile drive and restart.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:53 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

dupe
Old 11-13-2006, 09:53 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

mine has been giving my crap for a while now too.
only thing is that it either goes kooky right at start up and stays that way throughout the drive, or it'll work fine. so it's intermittent, but specific. i haven't made up my mind to even fix the "problem" any time soon. the only thing that happens when the module acts up is the car become an "old" car. then you have to drive it accordingly.

Quick Reply: Another failed EBCM!