C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer Park Muffler BAD EXPERIENCE...South East Side beware..

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 11:59 PM
banditg2000
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deer Park Muffler BAD EXPERIENCE...South East Side beware..

I want to look out for ya'll and let you know whats up. I called up Deer Park Muffler on Center St. and set an appt. for 8am yesterday. I show up and I guess the manager walks up and asks what I need. I tell him I need him to weld up my x pipe and change out one of my 02 sensors for me. I was sick of working on the car without a lift so I was ready to pay whatever, up to $125 or so even though the work wasn't much. The guy asks, "why should I work on your car today?" very rudely like I was wasting his time although there was absolutely nobody waiting except for me. I told the guy I am tired of messing with it and will pay just about whatever, so "for the money I guess". He said its too hard to work on a corvette and there isn't much money in it and that he would have a hard time even getting it on the lift. I said all you need is two 2X4's and were good to go. I guess he didn't like that because he told me to take my car and get the hell out of there, JUST LIKE THAT,no exageration. Guys and girls I'm a respectful person and business' like this don't deserve our business. I did nothing to provoke his attitude. I'm sure someone will read this that has done business with them before, hell I have, but this pissed me off and I thought ya'll should know. I would not want any of ya'll to have to go through that. Being someone who works in retail I can tell you some of the smaller paying jobs can lead to a great deal of business if you treat people right. I went down the road and got the work done at Mineke on spencer next to discount tire for $40 and and hour of time. I told the guy at Mineke to charge me $60 and take the $20 for a tip for giving me the service I expect and he would not do it, just charged me $40. Reading this doesn't do justice, this guy was an *** and I will never go there again and I will refer any of my friends and family to that Mineke (not sure if that is spelled correctly) on Spencer where they treat you like they want your business and don't try to Corvette tax you. Thanks for reading.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:12 AM
Wisdom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, how many Deer Parks are in the US? FWIW, I suspect you're talking the Houston area, but it doesn't matter. Some places don't want to do the work if they don't have the experience base to do the work. The first shop was reluctant to take the job because of the risk and cost if they screwed up (even accidently). If they had taken the work and used your suggestion and something went sour, they would have had to invest a significant amount of resources to make it right - and that would far exceed the value of what they would get for doing the job right the first time. So to me, it sounds like they made the right choice and turned down the job. And you made the right choice by bringing it elsewhere. So I don't see a problem here. Oh yeah, Flame Suit on!

- Wisdom

Last edited by Wisdom; 11-18-2006 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:15 AM
banditg2000
Intermediate

Default thanks for the reply

If they would have put it on the lift, it would have been obvious that it was easy money. I guess i would'nt want them doing it anyway if they aren't qualified enough to do such a simple task. Even if they didn't want the job, you don't be disrespectful, i know a few guys that need exhaust work and I could have brought them a few thousand dollars of business in referrals but not anymore. Any manager should understand that. The better thing to do would have been turn it down respectfully and refer me to someone else and ask for any other opportunities for future business. Oh and yeah, Deer Park Texas.

Last edited by banditg2000; 11-18-2006 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:23 AM
Vital Velocity
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Wisdom
Hmmm, how many Deer Parks are in the US? FWIW, I suspect you're talking the Houston area, but it doesn't matter. Some places don't want to do the work if they don't have the experience base to do the work. The first shop was reluctant to take the job because of the risk and cost if they screwed up (even accidently). If they had taken the work and used your suggestion and something went sour, they would have had to invest a significant amount of resources to make it right - and that would far exceed the value of what they would get for doing the job right the first time. So to me, it sounds like they made the right choice and turned down the job. And you made the right choice by bringing it elsewhere. So I don't see a problem here.

- Wisdom
Are you serious?

A) He had an appointment so where does the "why should i work on your car" come from?

B) Even if he didnt want to do the work due to the risk ( even though he wanted exhaust work done at an exhaust shop? Go figure ) they should have never acted that unproffesionally. There is a better way to turn down business, hell they could have probably made him feel goo about his car ( and then he probably would have reffered people to them )

Something along the lines of, "i would really like to do the work on your car but im nervous that your car sits to low and i dont want to risk damaging such a nice car and be held liable for it."

That is rediculous service; I was planning on taking my car there to just do a basic exhaust swap since i dont have the time to do it but now will be going elsewhere
Old 11-18-2006, 12:45 AM
Wisdom
Racer

Originally Posted by Vital Velocity
Are you serious? ...That is rediculous service; I was planning on taking my car there to just do a basic exhaust swap since i dont have the time to do it but now will be going elsewhere
Sounds like Meineke seems reasonable...

- Wisdom
Old 11-18-2006, 12:48 AM
Vital Velocity
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11

Yeah im just glad i read this post...
Old 11-18-2006, 07:24 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

He did you a huge favor, be thankful he didn't do the work!
Old 11-18-2006, 07:47 AM
Old geezer
Advanced

Default Yep...

Originally Posted by foremaw
There's an a$$hole in every pair of pants... Sometimes, there's 2. You found the pair w/2 in residence.

He'll do that to the wrong guy, and end up on the floor, wondering WTF was that???
Old 11-18-2006, 10:22 AM
n2zo6stuff
Advanced

:
Originally Posted by Old geezer
There's an a$$hole in every pair of pants... Sometimes, there's 2. You found the pair w/2 in residence.

He'll do that to the wrong guy, and end up on the floor, wondering WTF was that???
Old 11-18-2006, 10:36 AM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by foremaw
Can I get an AMEN for the bruthah that said he did you a huge favor?

Charlie
Old 11-18-2006, 10:39 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

this might also be helpful if posted in the regional section that the store is located.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:03 PM
bomax
Racer

He probably recently had a bad encounter with another Vette owner... maybe he got sued or something similar. You're probably lucky!
Old 11-18-2006, 03:54 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vital Velocity
Are you serious?

A) He had an appointment so where does the "why should i work on your car" come from?

B) Even if he didnt want to do the work due to the risk ( even though he wanted exhaust work done at an exhaust shop? Go figure ) they should have never acted that unproffesionally. There is a better way to turn down business, hell they could have probably made him feel goo about his car ( and then he probably would have reffered people to them )

Something along the lines of, "i would really like to do the work on your car but im nervous that your car sits to low and i dont want to risk damaging such a nice car and be held liable for it."

That is rediculous service; I was planning on taking my car there to just do a basic exhaust swap since i dont have the time to do it but now will be going elsewhere
It never hurts to be at least civil in dealing w/customers.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:10 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Sounds like a trailer park bubba alright. You weren't driving a "man's" machine (also known as a pickup).
You're better off elsewhere.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:04 PM
madeouttaglass
Le Mans Master

Location: AKA Harvey Mushman-I know just enough to be dangerous "Those who sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither"- B. Franklin
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

If it makes you feel any better, I just had the same thing happen at a tire shop. (Trombley Tire in Canandaigua NY ) I was as polite and respectful as can be, but the big tires and wheels probably got ol chaw chewin' Bubba flustered. Same as you, he went off for no reason at all. (My guess is that they were worth more than the azzhat's trailer, and he had no idea of how to mount 30 series tires.) I'm glad he went nuts before he had a chance to ruin them. I also found a great place down the road and left a nice tip. What I don't understand is how any boss wouldn't fire someone on the spot for such behavior. Bad stories spread much faster than good ones.

Last edited by madeouttaglass; 11-18-2006 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:32 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by madeouttaglass
... My guess is that they were worth more than the azzhat's trailer...
Old 11-18-2006, 09:46 PM
banditg2000
Intermediate

Ha. Yeah maybe the car was worth more than his trailer. Not sure but I know someone pissed in his cheerios that morning. I hope others in the south Houston area read this and avoid that shop. There are just too many other people out there that work hard for a living that deserve my business.

Get notified of new replies

To Deer Park Muffler BAD EXPERIENCE...South East Side beware..

Old 11-19-2006, 12:10 AM
TNTC5
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Deer Park Ave. Long Island, Ny
Old 11-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Casem1
Burning Brakes

I went to a small one-man-operation in Clear Lake Shores. (or Kemah, really close to the town line.) My car is lowered and we had no problem getting it on the lift. He actually allowed me to drive it in as he carefully guided me. I was quite happy with my experience there. S&S or SS Exhaust? It is named something like that. I would recommend him anytime.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:45 PM
banditg2000
Intermediate

Thanks alot, i will keep that in mind and check them out soon.

Quick Reply: Deer Park Muffler BAD EXPERIENCE...South East Side beware..