C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 08:26 AM
hotrod3497
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lights

when i turn on my headlights they will not come on. the doors doesn't open or the light doesn't come on. i can pull back on the light switch for the high beams and they come on. doors still will not open. thanks george
Old 11-25-2006, 11:43 PM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If neither the lights come on and the doors don't open then the problem is likely in your light switch on your steering wheel. The switch is the common point for both the light circuit and the headlight motor so if neither circuit energizes the switch is the lightly problem.

To confirm this, if you can find the headlight switch connector you can bypass the switch to jumper the connection. The connector (C209) is located on the LH side of the steering column attached to the instrument panel lower beam which should be behind the lower knee panel.

The connector is a wide 23 pin connector.If you jumper pins L (Tan - Low Beam) and W (Red - Battery) the headlights should come up and turn on. Pins L and S (White - Headlight Door Circuit) should be internally connected to power both circuits.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:19 AM
hotrod3497
Intermediate

thank you i checked the w pin yesterday and it had 12.4 volts on it. i will jump the l and w today. thanks again. george
Old 11-27-2006, 09:25 AM
hotrod3497
Intermediate

Default headlight switch removal

i took a 25 torqu head with a shank that fits a 1/4" wrench and cut it off to fit between the steering wheel and screw on the light switch so you do not have to pull the steering wheel. found the torqu head at sears. these come in a set that is 4"" long cut off the 25 tq. to 1" then use a 1/4" open wrench to remove the screw. these are very hard so scribe a line at 1" put in a vice and hit with a sledge to break.

Get notified of new replies

To lights

Quick Reply: lights