C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

squeaky clutch...need some expert advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 07:11 PM
fovsky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeaky clutch...need some expert advice

Please help me diagnose this...its driving me nuts. I've narrowed the squeaking/chirping noise down to rear of the engine. It is not coming from the belts (squeaks with both belts off).

It squeaks ONLY after the engine is warmed up (after about 2 minutes of driving), and then it continues to chirp when I'm on the highway (clutch in or out, in neutral or in gear)...chirp speeds up when engaging the clutch...chirps are more pronounced when car is vibrating e.g. going over bumps or rough pavement...all sounds seem to come from the back of the engine

VERY SELDOM does it squeak at idle but it does occasionally after a longer trip. When it does squeak at idle its much quieter.

Are any of these symptomatic of a bad throw out bearing? Pilot bearing? Release bearing? I really don't know the difference or the inner workings of a clutch, but I'm pretty sure it won't be a cheap fix.

Can anyone help pinpoint this problem based on what I've described?

Last edited by fovsky; 12-03-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:39 AM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Is it still the stock clutch ?
Old 12-03-2006, 12:41 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by fovsky
Please help me diagnose this...its driving me nuts. I've narrowed the squeaking/chirping noise down to my clutch area. I'm positive its coming from this area.

Here's how it sounds. After the car is warmed up it starts squeaking and won't stop until it comes to an idle. It squeaks the most when the clutch is out, driving over any small bump, driving over 20mph, accelerating/decelerating, pretty much anytime the clutch is out and the car is warmed up.

When the clutch is depressed (or in neutral) and I'm driving, it usually doesn't squeak, and it almost never squeaks when I'm idling.

Are any of these symptomatic of a bad throw out bearing? Pilot bearing? Release bearing? I really don't know the difference or the inner workings of a clutch, but I'm pretty sure it won't be a cheap fix.

If you are sitting still with the hand brake on in neutral and you rev the motor does it squeak ?

You only talk about the car when it is moving or idling, but you don't break it down by each type of occurence.

If you are sitting still and you hear this noise then you have eliminated the suspension items like (sway bars, springs, and shocks).

Next you need to check belts on the front of the motor as they are know to squeal (dampner / harmonic balancer) starts to come a part.

If you don't find your squeal there then drop the inspection cover on your clutch and put car on lift and rev motor and see if it is truly coming from clutch or maybe it's a bearing in the torque tube assembly.

Good luck
Old 12-03-2006, 02:08 PM
fovsky
Racer

Originally Posted by ajg1915
If you are sitting still with the hand brake on in neutral and you rev the motor does it squeak ?
No

You only talk about the car when it is moving or idling, but you don't break it down by each type of occurence.
...squeaks ONLY after the engine is warmed up (after about 2 minutes of driving), and then it continues to chirp when I'm on the highway (clutch in or out, in neutral or in gear)...chirp speeds up when engaging the clutch...chirps are more pronounced when car is vibrating e.g. going over bumps or rough pavement...all sounds seem to come from the back of the engine

VERY SELDOM does it chirp at idle but it does occasionally after a longer trip. When idling the chirp is much quieter.

If you are sitting still and you hear this noise then you have eliminated the suspension items like (sway bars, springs, and shocks).
Since it occasionally squeaks at idle I've eliminated suspension parts. Plus, I can increase the frequency of the chirping when I rev it up on the highway and slowly let the clutch out, which tells me the squeak is coming from the clutch or somewhere close downstream. I've been told to try to burn the clutch out a few times by doing this to see if it burns off the source of the squeak on the clutch plate, but it didn't work.

Next you need to check belts on the front of the motor as they are know to squeal (dampner / harmonic balancer) starts to come a part.
Its squeaks with both belts off when driving.

If you don't find your squeal there then drop the inspection cover on your clutch and put car on lift and rev motor and see if it is truly coming from clutch or maybe it's a bearing in the torque tube assembly.
Good luck
Without any vibrations it may be hard to duplicate this way, but this seems a logical next step.

Last edited by fovsky; 12-03-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:25 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by fovsky
No

...squeaks ONLY after the engine is warmed up (after about 2 minutes of driving), and then it continues to chirp when I'm on the highway (clutch in or out, in neutral or in gear)...chirp speeds up when engaging the clutch...chirps are more pronounced when car is vibrating e.g. going over bumps or rough pavement...all sounds seem to come from the back of the engine

VERY SELDOM does it chirp at idle but it does occasionally after a longer trip. When idling the chirp is much quieter.

Since it occasionally squeaks at idle I've eliminated suspension parts. Plus, I can increase the frequency of the chirping when I rev it up on the highway and slowly let the clutch out, which tells me the squeak is coming from the clutch or somewhere close downstream. I've been told to try to burn the clutch out a few times by doing this to see if it burns off the source of the squeak on the clutch plate, but it didn't work.

Its squeaks with both belts off when driving.

Without any vibrations it may be hard to duplicate this way, but this seems a logical next step.
If the squeaking happens only when you are moving it is a rotational item. I would be looking at the torque tube.

If you have access to a lift I would put it up in the air and drop the exhaust and chasis stiffner to get access to the torque tube.

You could have a bad bearing in the torque tube assembly.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:25 PM
fovsky
Racer

Originally Posted by phils C5 vette
Is it still the stock clutch ?
Yes, as far as I know. I bought the car used, but I got the vehicle history from a GM guy and no mention of a clutch replacement. I got the car with 20k on the clock, so I'm assuming its still a stock clutch.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:13 PM
fovsky
Racer

ttt...still looking for ideas
Old 12-05-2006, 10:46 AM
jmiller
Instructor

Could it be your crank pulley? I have a squeak then sometimes a chirp. I've noticed I have a slight crank wobble. I believe it is the source for my squeak.

No belts eliminates accessory drives etc. from the culprit. It does not eliminate crank pulley.

I find my squeak is somewhat random. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. When you rev the engine, the squeak goes away. Returns back at idle.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:43 PM
fovsky
Racer

Originally Posted by jmiller
Could it be your crank pulley? I have a squeak then sometimes a chirp. I've noticed I have a slight crank wobble. I believe it is the source for my squeak.

No belts eliminates accessory drives etc. from the culprit. It does not eliminate crank pulley.

I find my squeak is somewhat random. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. When you rev the engine, the squeak goes away. Returns back at idle.
Nope. I thought it was my crank pulley at first, though. It had a slight wobble and it was my initial motivation for doing the cam. But after the install, I still had the same squeak. Mine always starts as I'm engaging the clutch so I know its in that area.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:25 PM
gonbad
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmiller

Absolutely Positively Not The Crank Pulley!
Old 12-05-2006, 08:01 PM
fovsky
Racer

Originally Posted by gonbad
Absolutely Positively Not The Crank Pulley!
You're about 2 months late on that comment!!

j/k...well worth it...I love my cammed Z
Old 05-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Jochen
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey there,

i do have exactly the same squeak... drives me nuts!!!

Did you solve the problem? What was the culprit?

Hope anybody can jump in and help...

Jochen
Old 05-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Jochen
Drifting

Nobody having an idea?

One more thing i need to mention: A few weeks ago i got a new clutch in the car. Could it be possible that the engine was tilt to far to pull the driveshaft and damaging any lines that runs between the engine and the firewall?

I have the feeling that the noise comes from somwere between the backside of the engine and the firewall/clutch housing.

Beside that, the noise is exactly like fovsky said:

Please help me diagnose this...its driving me nuts. I've narrowed the squeaking/chirping noise down to rear of the engine. It is not coming from the belts (squeaks with both belts off).

It squeaks ONLY after the engine is warmed up (after about 2 minutes of driving), and then it continues to chirp when I'm on the highway (clutch in or out, in neutral or in gear)...chirp speeds up when engaging the clutch...chirps are more pronounced when car is vibrating e.g. going over bumps or rough pavement...all sounds seem to come from the back of the engine

VERY SELDOM does it squeak at idle but it does occasionally after a longer trip. When it does squeak at idle its much quieter.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Jochen
Drifting

After hours and hours of searching under the car, i finally found the reason for the noise!

I am 99% shure the noise came from the engine mounts. I guess after replacing the clutch, the tilt engine "squeezed" the now 13 years old rubber engine mounts.

After i torqued the two bolt from underneath the engine, the noise was gone, and did not came back since a few weeks. Problem solved!

I guess sooner or later i will exchange those old rubber mounts...

Hope someone can benefit from the info!

Jochen

Get notified of new replies

To squeaky clutch...need some expert advice

Quick Reply: squeaky clutch...need some expert advice