C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM's of C-5 column lock "fix" dangerous (Sorry, cannot quote source.)

Old 09-25-2001, 04:53 PM
TCSF
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM's C-5 column lock "fix" dangerous (Sorry, cannot quote source.)

The following is quoted from the classic "reputable source". I am NOT attributing it because it could cause legal trouble for the source. For those of you with the technical know how to make some sense of this and arrive at your own informed conclusions, here's what this source had to say:

"The GM column lock "fix" is actually dangerous. The lock-pin feedback signal now comes from the added latching relay, which is not an indication of the true lock or unlock state of the pin. With the "fix", you will still be able to drive, even if the locking pin fails to retract! The engine cut-off above idle will not work anymore, which was a safety back-up feature of the BCM. I think this GM "fix" is a farce. I believe GM has 2 problems with the lock actuator
design :

1) The gear-train between the motor and the pin binds, causing the failure to unlock. I don't GM (or the actuator supplier) has a bulletproof fix for this problem yet. Maybe the new actuator is an improvement, but the addition of the latching relay is evidence that GM is unsure of the reliability of the feedback switch (see below)

2) The feedback switch, part of the actuator mechanism, must have its own failure mechanism, where the actuator locks or unlocks, but the feedback switch does not respond. Then the BCM invokes the failsafe engine cut above idle to prevent driving with a potentially locked column.

This "fix" only addresses #2, and will reduce GM warrantee work if the feedback switch fails but the lock mechanism is still working."

[Modified by TCSF, 2:58 PM 9/25/2001]
Old 09-25-2001, 05:57 PM
JohnnyB
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: GM's C-5 column lock "fix" dangerous (TCSF)

My car is at the dealer now for warranty engine work. I was just about to comment on the column lock recall and then held my tongue. I'll spend the $50 and defeat it myself. It will be worth the peace of mind. After reading this, I'm even more sure I made the right decision.

[Modified by JohnnyB, 4:59 PM 9/25/2001]
Old 09-25-2001, 06:06 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2) The feedback switch, part of the actuator mechanism, must have its own failure mechanism, where the actuator locks or unlocks, but the feedback switch does not respond. Then the BCM invokes the failsafe engine cut above idle to prevent driving with a potentially locked column.

This "fix" only addresses #2, and will reduce GM warrantee work if the feedback switch fails but the lock mechanism is still working."

Up to your point No. 2 things were clear, but beyond that I don't have the foggiest notion of what you are saying.

I do know that yesterday I took my steed to the dealer for it's state mandated annual inspection. The excellent service writer asked me if I wanted to have the Steering Column Lock serviced with the "Open Recall". I told him NOT to do the work on the Steering Column.

He had me sign a release specifying that I had declined the Steering Column Lock Recall. I told him that the reason I didn't want that work done was I had a Steering Column Lock Bypass on the car and everything was :cool: . He said that that was fine and he was only protecting his butt in the event the GM wanted to know why he didn't do the Recall.

I recall someone stating that they were forced to have the Collumn Lock recall work done. There was none of that :bs with the guys at Del Chevrolet in Paoli, PA. We should start "Ranking" dealers. I will give Del Chevrolet a 9.5 on a scale of Zreo to 10. :yesnod:
Old 09-25-2001, 06:21 PM
C5 Solutions
Instructor

"The GM column lock "fix" is actually dangerous. The lock-pin feedback signal now comes from the added latching relay, which is not an indication of the true lock or unlock state of the pin. With the "fix", you will still be able to drive, even if the locking pin fails to retract! The engine cut-off above idle will not work anymore, which was a safety back-up feature of the BCM. I think this GM "fix" is a farce.
True dat......true dat........

But this only applies to the M6 cars, the A4 recall kit includes a lock plate without any locking holes for the pin to engage in. Now whether the dealer installs that part is another story :rolleyes:
Old 09-25-2001, 06:28 PM
66ImpalaLT1
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Does anybody have a wiring diagram, or a copy of the procedure to do the recall? It was just done on mine and I'd like to know exactly what was done.

If the purpose was to defeat the feedback, why wouldnt they just disable this in software in the BCM?

Eric

[Modified by 66ImpalaLT1, 4:28 PM 9/25/2001]
Old 09-25-2001, 07:45 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Default Re: GM's C-5 column lock "fix" dangerous (66ImpalaLT1)

GM is not allowed to defeat the colum lock feature (in manual tranny C5s) by changing the BCM software. Federal law requires it as an antitheft requirement. The automatic C5s can have the steering colum lock disabled (by the GM recall) because they also have the transmission shift lever lock, which meets the intent of the law.
Old 09-25-2001, 08:11 PM
66ImpalaLT1
Drifting

Default Re: GM's C-5 column lock "fix" dangerous (ersatz928)

GM is not allowed to defeat the colum lock feature (in manual tranny C5s) by changing the BCM software. Federal law requires it as an antitheft requirement. The automatic C5s can have the steering colum lock disabled (by the GM recall) because they also have the transmission shift lever lock, which meets the intent of the law.
TCSF is saying they defeated problem #2 with a relay. My point is, why would they implement a more costly fix when they could remove it from the software.

I understand why GM cannot remove the column lock feature in M6 C5's.

Eric
Old 09-25-2001, 08:33 PM
willi
Pro

I think the reliable source was speculation by someone on this forum.
It came out somewhere within a week of the recall announcement
if I remember right. That said, I don't know if its truth or speculation.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:10 PM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Re: GM's C-5 column lock "fix" dangerous (ersatz928)

You are absolutley correct.Also,the BCM is not as "smart" as a PCM.A new,redisigned BCM would have to be installed in that you cant simply reprogram a BCM to change a function like a PCM.$$$$$...

The whole problem relates back to the column lock actuator itself.The actuator replaced in the recall for the M6 is NOT updated.We are putting in the same one that we are taking out!!! The recall only provides some enhanced wiring to the actuator.The actuator is a simply "in/out" winding motor.Any electrical motor is subject to getting a "dead spot" in the windings due to things beyond our control such as moisture,temperature,condesation,humidit y,lack of use,corrosion,etc...

In other words,the column lock issue will be around for a long time to come :(
Old 09-25-2001, 09:46 PM
66ImpalaLT1
Drifting

Default Re: GM's C-5 column lock "fix" dangerous (C-5 TECH)

I'm starting to wish I wouldnt have let them 'fix' mine yesterday.

C-5 Tech: I saw the car with the air bag out with a steering wheel puller, and lock plate tool on the floor of the car. What is updated inside the column?

Eric

[Modified by 66ImpalaLT1, 7:49 PM 9/25/2001]
Old 09-25-2001, 10:32 PM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '13

Default Re: GM's C-5 column lock "fix" dangerous (66ImpalaLT1)

I'm starting to wish I wouldnt have let them 'fix' mine yesterday.

C-5 Tech: I saw the car with the air bag out with a steering wheel puller, and lock plate tool on the floor of the car. What is updated inside the column?

Eric

On the M6 only,the column lock actuator in the column is replaced...

[Modified by 66ImpalaLT1, 7:49 PM 9/25/2001]
Old 09-25-2001, 11:01 PM
C5Noir
Safety Car

Default Re: GM's C-5 column lock "fix" dangerous (C-5 TECH)

I took my car to the dealer for some warranty work well they tried to put the "new" column lock in but my "aftermarket alarm system" aka COLUMN LOCK BYPASS :rolleyes: was interfering. I told them that that was the "new" CL that my dealer back home put in :D, they bought it and left it be. Suckers :D

[Modified by C5Noir, 9:02 PM 9/25/2001]
Old 09-25-2001, 11:23 PM
Nekbyter
Instructor

Default Re: GM's C-5 column lock "fix" dangerous (C5 Solutions)

The revised lock plate (the one that prevents the pin from entering),that is currently being installed on the A4's; can it be installed on a M6? Is it possible to obtain the part from a dealer and install it myself?
Old 09-26-2001, 12:27 AM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '13

Default Re: GM's C-5 column lock "fix" dangerous (Nekbyter)

The revised lock plate (the one that prevents the pin from entering),that is currently being installed on the A4's; can it be installed on a M6? Is it possible to obtain the part from a dealer and install it myself?
Only a member for 27 days,you catch on quick ;) ...Yes,it can be done and it is a good thought...There is still the possibility that if the column lock actuator pin failed to retract,you may have a stall condition,but no locked column of course...The new lock plate doesnt prevent the pin from entering,it is just that the pin doesnt engage into anything,as the lock plate is a "dummy" plate.

Get notified of new replies

To GM's of C-5 column lock "fix" dangerous (Sorry, cannot quote source.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM's of C-5 column lock "fix" dangerous (Sorry, cannot quote source.)