C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst Shifter????

Old 09-26-2001, 12:06 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Hurst Shifter????

When will the C5 Hurst Shifter be available?
Old 09-26-2001, 12:32 PM
Cricket
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hurst Shifter???? (Closer_2001)

As of August 5th when I talked to a Hurst Rep, he said they were not certain they would be able to get the bugs out of the shifter noise problem. I went with the ripper by B&M and glad of it. :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 09-26-2001, 02:42 PM
c5vetteman
Drifting

When will the C5 Hurst Shifter be available?
I'm starting to lose my patience playing this waiting game also and I am about to say the hell with it and order the ripper because I can't stand the stock shifter!
Old 09-26-2001, 02:43 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06
Default Re: Hurst Shifter???? (c5vetteman)

Guys,

Don't hold your breath. Hurst will not be releasing their shifter for some time.

Go with the best seller and what most C5 owners are already running, the B&M Ripper Shifter!!

Shawn
Old 09-26-2001, 03:13 PM
RG in Dallas
Race Director

Elite Member
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Hurst Shifter???? (L.A.P.D.)

Here is a post on 9/20 by ZRCHRIS, a Hurst employee:

Delivery is being delayed. For various reasons , to give people the best shifter right off the bat, we have scrapped the original sticks and are making new ones right now. The bases and hardware will not change, and are ready to go now. We had planned to make the stick changes to the second round, but the company decided the changes were significant enough to do this instead. This decision was just made at the end of last week. With manufacture, e-coat, and assembly, we're around a month away now.
As Collin has indicated (COBrien), even the first version had advantages over the B&M, and the second version is simply correcting some details, like a 1" shorter handle height. It's worth the wait and it won't be much longer.

As with the C4 Hurst shifter, I will be selling this shifter direct as soon as it is released at a very good price.

Chris

The Ripper is a great alternative as is the Kirban. The Kirban is less stiff, so, for you autocrossers and road racers making a lot of shifts during your outings, consider the Kirban. Drag race guys, the Ripper is probably the choice. For the wife's use, the Kirban.

We carry both and look forward to the Hurst when they ship.

RG

[Modified by RG in Dallas, 1:14 PM 9/26/2001]
Old 09-26-2001, 04:06 PM
c5vetteman
Drifting

Default Re: Hurst Shifter???? (RG in Dallas)

...released at a very good price...

[Modified by RG in Dallas, 1:14 PM 9/26/2001]
What's a very good price? :rolleyes: In our Corvette world, our products seem to cost twice as much as comparable ls1 products. But again who would have thought so many people would be willing to pay $200+ for an air filter or $800+ for two mufflers! :p:
Old 09-26-2001, 04:46 PM
Scruffy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Hurst Shifter???? (RG in Dallas)

RG, Good info. Been waiting to hear something other than speculation about the release. Thanks. Keep us posted on Hurst up-dates. Based on all the Hurst shifters I've owned in the past I'm sure it will be worth the wait and have a reasonable price tag.
Old 09-27-2001, 01:26 PM
zrchris
Pro

Default Re: Hurst Shifter???? (Scruffy)

Hi guys, first, I'm not actually an employee of Hurst (I apologize for not making that too clear sometimes), I am a consultant with them, initially on the C4, and now involved with other projects like the C5 shifter. I consult with the product manager on a daily basis, so you won't get any closer to the "horse's mouth" than you will from me.

I am awaiting the first 3 sticks of the 2nd generation, to install and verify by the end of this week. One is going to CF member Collin (COBrien), who currently has a pre-production phase 1 unit in his car (he used to have a B&M). As you can see in his past posts, the vibration is much less than the B&M.

As soon as we do an install we will crank up the CNC. All else is ready to go, down to the box labels.

As far as price, Jobber is $195.

I will try to offer discounted pre-release ordering (through me), email me if you are interested.

Chris

[Modified by zrchris, 6:19 PM 10/10/2001]
Old 09-27-2001, 01:46 PM
GMvert
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Hurst Shifter???? (Cricket)

Cricket: Nice roadster, I am thinking about reinstalling my B&M Ripper and am glad to know this info about the Hurst shifter. :chevy
Old 09-27-2001, 04:09 PM
dcronkhite
Instructor

Default Re: Hurst Shifter???? (gmiller1)

Well.. I went ahead and threw my name in the hat for the Hurst.. Past experience with the Hurst products did it for me..

[Modified by dcronkhite, 2:14 PM 9/27/2001]
Old 09-27-2001, 04:39 PM
Yellow 01 Coupe
Instructor

Default Re: Hurst Shifter???? (dcronkhite)

I just signed myself up too. :D
Old 09-27-2001, 06:10 PM
don527
Drifting

Default Re: Hurst Shifter???? (zrchris)

Can you give us technical details of what was the issues you had in Gen1 that caused the delays and what changes have been made in GEN2 to be significant?

don
I am awaiting the first 3 sticks of the 2nd generation, to install and verify by the end of this week. One is going to CF member Collin (COBrien), who currently has a pre-production phase 1 unit in his car (he used to have a B&M). As you can see in his past posts, the vibration is much less than the B&M. [Modified by zrchris, 11:31 AM 9/27/2001]
Old 09-27-2001, 06:44 PM
COBrien
Drifting

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Default Re: Hurst Shifter???? (don527)

I'll post comments here as soon as I receive the new unit and get it installed. Looking forward to it!

Collin
Old 09-27-2001, 07:24 PM
zrchris
Pro

Default Re: Hurst Shifter???? (COBrien)

Delays had more to do with the company- lack of staff or staff allocation. In the transition of being sold from Dana, since January things have been tight and regular production is hard to keep up with. That, together with engineering and management for this project being in Cleveland (except me here in Atlanta) and the C5 shifters being made at the NV plant (Mallory) made things take longer than the C4 units. But the C4 unit was also more established and easier to interface.

The original engineer for the C5 shifter left the company in January. For reasons unknown he made some revisions between the prototype stick and the "Phase I" units that were unnecessary or (in my view) incorrect. We were able to deal with most of these revisions in reasonable ways, but in the end to minimize vibration we either needed to rely on powder coating or make new sticks.

The Phase II sticks vary from the Phase I in small dimensional changes, larger stick diameter to better retain the shift boot and add mass, and a 1" lower (than stock or Phase I) handle height. It actually will look like the initial prototype pictured below, Phase I was narrower above the base. E-coat will be the finish on these, just like the C4s- it's a precise thin coating of durable electrostatic paint.

Like I say, right now I'm waiting for the first three Phase II units, to install them immediately and verify- one going to Collin (above). I don't expect any surprises, the fundamental design is the same with just some detail changes to improve the quality and performance. Phase I units had only minimal vibration in final form, much less than the B&M according to Collin (and Bruce in the Corvette Fever article long ago), and the Phase II units should be better yet.

Remember also the other advantages of this shifter, the adjustable, removable bias springs that allow you to tailor the side-to-side force to your liking.

Hang in there guys, we're getting close. Keep those emails coming if you wanna get in on my offer! thanks,

Chris

[Modified by zrchris, 5:37 PM 9/27/2001]
Old 09-27-2001, 08:59 PM
Bob Mc
Racer

zrchris,
Please contact me at VetteSSMan@aol.com

Thanks,
Old 09-27-2001, 09:19 PM
gtragitt
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Why isn't the Hurst shifter advertised for either the 2001 or 2002 Corvette?
Old 09-27-2001, 09:33 PM
Yellow 01 Coupe
Instructor

Default Re: Hurst Shifter???? (gtragitt)

Why isn't the Hurst shifter advertised for either the 2001 or 2002 Corvette?
Good question. As you can see above, I emailed you to put me on the list for the new shifter. I have a 2001 Coupe but I didn't notice that the ad you posted says 1991-2000 (I just assumed it would fit all the C5's). Will the shifter fit my car? If not, I guess you can take my name off the list. :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To Hurst Shifter????

Old 09-27-2001, 11:01 PM
COBrien
Drifting

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Default Re: Hurst Shifter???? (Yellow 01 Coupe)

I've got it on my 2001...no problem at all. Haven't heard of any changes for 2002, so it should fit fine.

Collin
Old 09-28-2001, 08:59 AM
Yellow 01 Coupe
Instructor

Default Re: Hurst Shifter???? (COBrien)

I've got it on my 2001...no problem at all. Haven't heard of any changes for 2002, so it should fit fine.

Collin
Thanks Collin. Thats what I thought but I had to make sure.
Old 09-28-2001, 12:38 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Hang in there guys, we're getting close. Keep those emails coming if you wanna get in on my offer! thanks,

Chris
I'm interested, but I must have missed something... what offer?

DOH! Nevermind, I see it.:crazy:

-Kent
1997 C5 6spd

[Modified by Kent1999, 10:54 AM 9/28/2001]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hurst Shifter????