C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converters, Yank or Vigilante?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 06:44 AM
Gohard777
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Converters, Yank or Vigilante?

I need some input on this guys. I want to go with the 3000 stall model but would like some input on which one to get. I have a 2004 with just the Stingers, will have a air filter system and 373 gears when I get the converter. I like to drive to the mountains to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway so for me the 3000 stall will be right for me. I hear the Yank converter is 12 inches and the Vigilante is about 9.5. Any comments? Who has had these on their car? Which one will give better performance? What about drivability? You guys know the answers, Please help....Bob
Gohard, or don't go at all!
Old 12-20-2006, 07:07 AM
TopFuelTim
Burning Brakes

Default IMHO Yank is tops, bar none

I have a Yank 3200 in my DD, and it really woke the car up when its previous owner put it in, going from 13.7s to 13.2s in the quarter mile, but still getting 32mpg on the freeway, and 22-24mpg driving back and forth to work. Unless you're racing, the 9.5 is probably going to be too loose for you.

Also, Mike Senia of Yank has been building converters for years, and nails the application every time. We have Yanks in our dragster, our 1967 Footbrake Camaro, and one came with my 2000 Vette. Yank is top quality all the way. For the race cars, we called him up, answered all the questions, put 'em in, and won. The Camaro has 26 wins, and the dragster, which races in Super Pro, has six.

Tim Glover
Old 12-20-2006, 07:38 AM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We used to use Yank products in all our customer's cars, but after having three of them fail internally here, for which the trash from the converter failure circulated into the transmission and clogged it up/ruined it, we stepped away from them for good. We were forced to cover the cost of the damaged transmissions (including HD RPM units) caused by the converter failures all 3 times also... No more and that is all we have to say about that.....

We've switched to Precison Industries since then and we've never had any negative issues since then. In fact, PI produces 3 different versions of almost any given torque converter they have depending on whether the engine is an N/A, Supercharged/Turbocharged or Nitrous application.

These are just our professional experiences with this product in the field and others may differ, so use the information as you wish. If you do decide to go with PI, call and ask for Jack, he will take very good care of you.

DTE
Old 12-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I've ran my vigilante 2600 for about a year at 500+ RWHP with out any issues.
I've read here that the vigilante stall is normally a litttle higher than the same stall Yank, by about 200 rpms. Can't confirm though....
Old 12-20-2006, 11:04 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I use a Vigilante as that is what the Vette Doctors recommended. They said Vigilante's customer service was always very good and were helpful if there were any problems.

Chris
Old 12-20-2006, 11:36 AM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't speak for the Vigilante, however have had a Yank 3500-installed by A@A for about a year. Flawless performance so far. Good luck with what ever you choose.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:47 AM
0yankman
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DynoTech Engineering
We used to use Yank products in all our customer's cars, but after having three of them fail internally here, for which the trash from the converter failure circulated into the transmission and clogged it up/ruined it, we stepped away from them for good.

DTE

LIEs again by you!!!!

and WE dropped YOU as a dealer for non performance!

You had to go some place! as we REFUSED to sell you product as to you attiude
Old 12-20-2006, 11:49 AM
0yankman
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TopFuelTim
I have a Yank 3200 in my DD, and it really woke the car up when its previous owner put it in, going from 13.7s to 13.2s in the quarter mile, but still getting 32mpg on the freeway, and 22-24mpg driving back and forth to work. Unless you're racing, the 9.5 is probably going to be too loose for you.

Also, Mike Senia of Yank has been building converters for years, and nails the application every time. We have Yanks in our dragster, our 1967 Footbrake Camaro, and one came with my 2000 Vette. Yank is top quality all the way. For the race cars, we called him up, answered all the questions, put 'em in, and won. The Camaro has 26 wins, and the dragster, which races in Super Pro, has six.

Tim Glover

Tim
long time
hope you are well
Old 12-20-2006, 12:35 PM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yankman

LIEs again by you!!!!

and WE dropped YOU as a dealer for non performance!

You had to go some place! as we REFUSED to sell you product as to you attiude
We were just telling of our experiences with your product that the thread starter asked for...nothing more and that's why we specifically stated, "we have nothing more to say about that". Additionally, we weren't going to air your issues in public either out of respect for another business (even if it was you, despite what you've done to DTE in the past and continue to do to this very day) but since you've gone on the offensive and attacked us with direct insults...you've asked for it..

Up until about a year ago, we were *ALWAYS* the biggest supporters of Yank products, installed them into every-single one of our customer's cars, in *ALL* of our performance packages and even included your product in an upcoming Truckin' Magazine article to show our loyalty and appreciation for what we thought were nice products at the time. During this time, one of your converters had a Torrington bearing failure internally where the trash from the failed bearing and galled stator was pumped back into the transmission of the vehicle, plugging the valve body, filter and literally causing the rear planatery gear set to weld itself together due to lack of lubricant flow from the plugged filter assy.

We pulled the T.C. and sent it back to you for inspection. You called back and told us the Torrington bearing had failed as stated above (that's how we even knew of it in the first place) and that you would take care of the converter at no charge. However, you never did offer to subsidize the completely damaged transmission in the least, even though it was your component failure that caused the trans. failure in the first place, so we just took the trans. to RPM, had him rebuild it to better-then-new specs and we were on our way. We never chased you down for any compensation as we should have as we figured everyone makes mistakes once in a while; instead, we just paid the entire cost for the transmisison repair and for the R&R of the unit out of our own pocket, just to get the customer on the road with as little hassle as possible. The customer's name is "2k1vette" on this board if you'd like to call/PM him to verify...

Then you called a few months later and told us that from now on, there would be no dealer pricing structure for anyone, regardless of who the installer, tuner or warehouse was and that *EVERYONE* was going to pay the same price as the end user...period. I told you that we were one of you're biggest suporters and reminded of you of the many units we sold for you, how much support we'd been giving you over the years and about the truck article~ but you still said "too bad, that's the way it's going to be". That decision by you left us, including many other businesses high and dry that had been supporting you for many years! That's not a very good way to reward your loyal supporters/dealers of your product and if you like, I can post other emails I've gotton from other pissed-off tuners and installers that echo my exact sentiment.

I also reminded you of the damaged T.C. we had just sent in for repair and told you consider that we never went after you for any money to repair the damaged transmission from your failed T.C., but that didn't matter either. You stated that "it wasn't your fault" the T/C. failed, as you passed the buck onto the Torrington bearing manufacturer and it was "their fault" the T.C. failed, so you weren't responsible for for the trans. failure!!

Unless we're missing something here, it was *YOU* who selected the Torrington bearing manufacturer who's parts you use in your T.C's, so *YOU* are indeed responsible for any failures of your product as a result of that. Don't cowardly pass the buck onto someone else to escape your responsibilities and we would have thought you could even comprehend this simple fact Mike.....

Even after all of that, we were still willing to let you have the benefit of the doubt to make all of this right and rethink your previous poor decision. You said you would get with Dave to see what you could do on both accounts and get back to us.....you *NEVER* called back~ No surprise.... When we called you back, you acted like the conversation we had on the phone never took place and that you were sticking to your decision- good or bad and that we would have to live with it. Nice touch........

We then switched to PI and when we told Jack of what had transpired, he informed us that he had more phone calls of other tuners/installers/warehouses with similar stories in the week following your new "marketing decision" that he was going to be very busy. He chuckled and thought that it's about par for the course from you folks...

Since that time, we've had 2 more Yank T.C. fail internally causing the very same kind of damage and like the previous time, we had to take care of our customer by paying for the damaged transmission out of our own pocket, as coverage of our warranty term. Of course, we had to fluch the trans. coolers of these cars to get all of the trash out, but we didn't replace the T.C. with another junk Yank part, but with a higher quality PI product. In fact, your 2 T.C.'s that we removed made for nice, red scrap-steel bin liners we have here, as they were no good for anything else.

We supported your products and business for years Mike and you told us to ****-off. We tried to find some common ground with you Mike and you told us to ****-off. We tried to work with you Mike and you told us to ****-off. Don't take our word for it, why don't you give Rodney at RPM Transmissions a call to find out again how you screwed him also to the point that he wouldn't recommend your product if it were the last T.C. on earth after the reaming you gave that business.... What goes around will certainly come around Mike and more tuners know what you're all about when we chat behind the scenes than you could possibly imagine.

Good luck and we hope you change your business practices/ethics for the better in 2007. Merry Christmas!

DTE
Old 12-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Now you have both had your say...............keep your posts on topic....
Old 12-20-2006, 01:18 PM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by DynoTech Engineering
We were just telling of our experiences with your product that the thread starter asked for...nothing more and that's why we specifically stated, "we have nothing more to say about that". Additionally, we weren't going to air your issues in public either out of respect for another business (even if it was you, despite what you've done to DTE in the past and continue to do to this very day) but since you've gone on the offensive and attacked us with direct insults...you've asked for it..

Up until about a year ago, we were *ALWAYS* the biggest supporters of Yank products, installed them into every-single one of our customer's cars, in *ALL* of our performance packages and even included your product in an upcoming Truckin' Magazine article to show our loyalty and appreciation for what we thought were nice products at the time. During this time, one of your converters had a Torrington bearing failure internally where the trash from the failed bearing and galled stator was pumped back into the transmission of the vehicle, plugging the valve body, filter and literally causing the rear planatery gear set to weld itself together due to lack of lubricant flow from the plugged filter assy.

We pulled the T.C. and sent it back to you for inspection. You called back and told us the Torrington bearing had failed as stated above (that's how we even knew of it in the first place) and that you would take care of the converter at no charge. However, you never did offer to subsidize the completely damaged transmission in the least, even though it was your component failure that caused the trans. failure in the first place, so we just took the trans. to RPM, had him rebuild it to better-then-new specs and we were on our way. We never chased you down for any compensation as we should have as we figured everyone makes mistakes once in a while; instead, we just paid the entire cost for the transmisison repair and for the R&R of the unit out of our own pocket, just to get the customer on the road with as little hassle as possible. The customer's name is "2k1vette" on this board if you'd like to call/PM him to verify...

Then you called a few months later and told us that from now on, there would be no dealer pricing structure for anyone, regardless of who the installer, tuner or warehouse was and that *EVERYONE* was going to pay the same price as the end user...period. I told you that we were one of you're biggest suporters and reminded of you of the many units we sold for you, how much support we'd been giving you over the years and about the truck article~ but you still said "too bad, that's the way it's going to be". That decision by you left us, including many other businesses high and dry that had been supporting you for many years! That's not a very good way to reward your loyal supporters/dealers of your product and if you like, I can post other emails I've gotton from other pissed-off tuners and installers that echo my exact sentiment.

I also reminded you of the damaged T.C. we had just sent in for repair and told you consider that we never went after you for any money to repair the damaged transmission from your failed T.C., but that didn't matter either. You stated that "it wasn't your fault" the T/C. failed, as you passed the buck onto the Torrington bearing manufacturer and it was "their fault" the T.C. failed, so you weren't responsible for for the trans. failure!!

Unless we're missing something here, it was *YOU* who selected the Torrington bearing manufacturer who's parts you use in your T.C's, so *YOU* are indeed responsible for any failures of your product as a result of that. Don't cowardly pass the buck onto someone else to escape your responsibilities and we would have thought you could even comprehend this simple fact Mike.....

Even after all of that, we were still willing to let you have the benefit of the doubt to make all of this right and rethink your previous poor decision. You said you would get with Dave to see what you could do on both accounts and get back to us.....you *NEVER* called back~ No surprise.... When we called you back, you acted like the conversation we had on the phone never took place and that you were sticking to your decision- good or bad and that we would have to live with it. Nice touch........

We then switched to PI and when we told Jack of what had transpired, he informed us that he had more phone calls of other tuners/installers/warehouses with similar stories in the week following your new "marketing decision" that he was going to be very busy. He chuckled and thought that it's about par for the course from you folks...

Since that time, we've had 2 more Yank T.C. fail internally causing the very same kind of damage and like the previous time, we had to take care of our customer by paying for the damaged transmission out of our own pocket, as coverage of our warranty term. Of course, we had to fluch the trans. coolers of these cars to get all of the trash out, but we didn't replace the T.C. with another junk Yank part, but with a higher quality PI product. In fact, your 2 T.C.'s that we removed made for nice, red scrap-steel bin liners we have here, as they were no good for anything else.

We supported your products and business for years Mike and you told us to ****-off. We tried to find some common ground with you Mike and you told us to ****-off. We tried to work with you Mike and you told us to ****-off. Don't take our word for it, why don't you give Rodney at RPM Transmissions a call to find out again how you screwed him also to the point that he wouldn't recommend your product if it were the last T.C. on earth after the reaming you gave that business.... What goes around will certainly come around Mike and more tuners know what you're all about when we chat behind the scenes than you could possibly imagine.

Good luck and we hope you change your business practices/ethics for the better in 2007. Merry Christmas!

DTE
OUCH! I will go with P.I. THANKS. J.H.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Mr. Big
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

i have used both in the past, and both were good verters.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Never had a Yank.....

I have the Vigilante 2400. Service was prompt. Unit gets abused in road racing and is working great

DH
Old 12-20-2006, 06:26 PM
red88L98convert
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ive got a vigilante 2800...and i love it.
oh, and 3.42's
Old 12-20-2006, 06:41 PM
TopFuelTim
Burning Brakes

Default Still like my Yanks

We don't abuse our stuff, but we flat out use it! We have over 1000 dragstrip passes on our Yank 9" Converter in the Footbrake car (3600lb, 12.0s and 12.1s at 108-109mph and the converter is still going. We lost one engine in that time, and only had four days to the next race, so I just assembled another engine from pieces around the shop, bolted the Yank Converter back on, changed the fluid and went racing again. The driver had to retire due to health reasons, but the car is still good to go.

The dragster has over 500 passes on the Yank 8" converter and weighs 1940 lb The Yank converter gets banged on with the MSD two step at the line for a few seconds at 4200rpm, snatches two 34.5 x 17 x 16 inch tires from a dead stop, and goes 5.70s at 118 in the eighth mile, and 9.1s in the quarter at 143mph. It is still going. We did break a case due to a bent mid-plate, but simply bolted everything over into another case and kept on racing (driver is currently out of cash, so it is sitting at home for the moment : )

The previous owner, Oklahoma, put the Yank 3200SS into the Vette last year, and raced it at Atlanta Dragway in the Sportsman class all year, running 13.2s at 104mph (2.73 gear ratio). It is still working great.

Just my experience. When we need another converter, it will definitely be a Yank.

Tim Glover

Last edited by TopFuelTim; 12-20-2006 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Adding gears information on the Vette.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:01 PM
C5Dream2004
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I just found out my Yank ss3600 is bad in 6 weeks!!!

This is ironic that this thread is runing. I had a SS3600 and #.73's installed by phil thomas about 8 weeks ago. Lately my tranny temps have went crazy. Just had the car scanned and am told the comand is calling for lock up but at hardly any throtle input there is 1000rmp of slipage.

I was reading allready thinking of forgeting what the converter cost and buy a Vigalante converter??

Yank told me 70% of the time people think the converter is bad but it usally something else..............

How do I know if I have a tranny problem caused by the conveter???

Last edited by C5Dream2004; 12-20-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:07 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Get notified of new replies

To Converters, Yank or Vigilante?

Old 12-20-2006, 10:59 PM
Dave00C5
Le Mans Master

Get the Vig no matter what yank tells you on here. Mike Senia purchased back my old yank as the lockup clutch was trashed in roughly 800 miles. This was my second defective one as the first LPE model was also junk. I've been running/drag racing a vig for several years with no problem whatsoever.. Those using a yank, you either got a good one or your running on borrowed time. Come to think about it, my son had a yank 4400 in his f body that also was junk after a few days at the track.

Last edited by Dave00C5; 12-20-2006 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Dave00C5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C5Dream2004
This is ironic that this thread is runing. I had a SS3600 and #.73's installed by phil thomas about 8 weeks ago. Lately my tranny temps have went crazy. Just had the car scanned and am told the comand is calling for lock up but at hardly any throtle input there is 1000rmp of slipage.

I was reading allready thinking of forgeting what the converter cost and buy a Vigalante converter??

Yank told me 70% of the time people think the converter is bad but it usally something else..............

How do I know if I have a tranny problem caused by the conveter???
Mine did the same thing. Just wait till it shifts so hard you think you dropped the rear end.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:17 PM
black98c5
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im really confused now. I thought Yank has a superior TC and now I hear of all these complaints with their product. It seems that everyone is coming out of the woodwork.

Quick Reply: Converters, Yank or Vigilante?