C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Climate Control dim/dark display fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 09:37 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Millennium FRC
Please correct me if I'm wrong........

So I should just try resoldering the 8 surface mount resistors to the board and this should fix my blank A/C display issue?
SAD! Ive been soldering for 50 YEARS. When a SOLDER JOINT FAILS,,,, There are several reasons for the failure.

In the case of the resistors, there just isn't enough SOLDER to properly attach the resistor to the trace pad. The resistor actually seperates from OR POPS off the mount pad.

When I repaired mine, I added a very very small amount of liquid rosin core FLUX to the resistor / pad joint. I heated up the PAD and resistor joint and added "JUST A TOUCH OF SOLDER" while pressing DOWN on the resistor. Once the repair was COOL the repair was DONE!

EASY AS THAT!

BC
The following users liked this post:
professorjim (05-12-2021)
Old 02-23-2016, 10:39 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by grantv
Sorry no... I should have been more clear; ALL of the background lighting worked before, now NONE of it.
Originally Posted by Millennium FRC
Please correct me if I'm wrong........So I should just try resoldering the 8 surface mount resistors to the board and this should fix my blank A/C display issue?
Damn, I haven't driven mine in the dark so I don't know about lighting. I can only say the solder repair makes the display...well, display.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:19 PM
Millennium FRC
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

In the case of the resistors, there just isn't enough SOLDER to properly attach the resistor to the trace pad. The resistor actually seperates from OR POPS off the mount pad.

When I repaired mine, I added a very very small amount of liquid rosin core FLUX to the resistor / pad joint. I heated up the PAD and resistor joint and added "JUST A TOUCH OF SOLDER" while pressing DOWN on the resistor. Once the repair was COOL the repair was DONE!

Thanks Bill. I may tackle this Sunday. Extremely good with a soldering iron (about 28 years experience). Just need to find a day off to do it.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:55 PM
keneo1967
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC back lighting

Originally Posted by grantv
Sorry no... I should have been more clear; ALL of the background lighting worked before, now NONE of it.

I know exactly what you are talking about... It happened to me after I took my c5 into the dealer to replace the key lock cylinder.. It worked when I took it in. But after I picked it up and drove home I went back out after dark and noticed it right away. Perfect display and everything else had backlighting except my climate control unit back lighting. Did you ever get the problem fixed? I have been searching for days ... I'm taking it back to the dealer Tuesday. He said bring it in and that one of his techs probably just forgot to plug something back in... I wish it was going to be that easy...
Old 04-18-2016, 11:09 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by keneo1967
I know exactly what you are talking about... It happened to me after I took my c5 into the dealer to replace the key lock cylinder.. It worked when I took it in. But after I picked it up and drove home I went back out after dark and noticed it right away. Perfect display and everything else had backlighting except my climate control unit back lighting. Did you ever get the problem fixed? I have been searching for days ... I'm taking it back to the dealer Tuesday. He said bring it in and that one of his techs probably just forgot to plug something back in... I wish it was going to be that easy...
Nope. I rarely drive it in the dark except for early/late in the year when I leave for work and it's still dark out. I'll likely not fix it until parked this coming winter.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
keneo1967 (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 07:31 AM
NavyGunner1980
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone have the part numbers for the bulbs inside the A/C control unit?
Old 04-22-2016, 09:51 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

http://www.mcmaster.com/#1505k414/=1mfct0
Old 04-25-2016, 02:50 PM
NavyGunner1980
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks a bunch for the part number
Old 05-03-2016, 06:06 PM
MOTOXAZ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished this guys. Thank you so much for the write up. Never soldered before in my life. Bought the soldering equipment for $30 off amazon and finished it up today in a couple of hours and it came out working great.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:58 AM
PatPending
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this is an old thread - but I am glad it is still here. They are still quoting $500 to replace - but after about an hour I was able to get the lights back on on my newly acquired '97. The circuit board looks a lot different than those shown here; the resistors are the same - just a different number of them and in a different location.

Can this be made a sticky? I know some of the pictures are gone, but I found other videos on YouTube that showed the soldering of the resistors.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed - I really appreciate your time and expertise...both here on the C5 side and even over on the C4 side.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:18 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
SAD! Ive been soldering for 50 YEARS. When a SOLDER JOINT FAILS,,,, There are several reasons for the failure.

EASY AS THAT!

BC
Did the same
Old 06-30-2016, 09:56 PM
Wastedrubber
4th Gear

Glad I found this thread! Just bought a 99 with the display out, this was the fix! No need to ship it out or overspend on a replacement, probably took an hour and I solder wires together maybe once or twice a year. It was a bit intimidating on account of how small the components are but it went smoothly. I twisted a couple out of place but it wasn't hard to reposition it. Thank to the contributors!
Old 06-30-2016, 10:09 PM
seand03
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My hack job of a solder worked for anyone who wanted to know.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:41 PM
tommycobra
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Just did this an it worked perfectly ... I finally have the screen working .... couldn't be happier , thanks for the heads up .. was a pretty easy fix .
Old 07-07-2016, 04:35 PM
John59
Cruising

Holy ****, I'll live with the dim light !!!
Old 07-07-2016, 04:41 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

WHY isn't this a STICKY?
Old 07-07-2016, 05:01 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John59
Holy ****, I'll live with the dim light !!!
$160 dollar an hour mechanics thank you

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Climate Control dim/dark display fix

Old 07-10-2016, 08:35 PM
Camarohoss
Cruising

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Realize this is an old thread but very helpful, thanks guys!! Total of twenty minutes from disconnecting battery to reconnecting the battery. Big smile on my face when it lit up!!
Old 07-30-2016, 09:23 AM
retireduper
Intermediate

Location: North fort Myers Fl. & Mequon W. Fl.in Winter &Wi. Summer
Default Climate control/erratic backlighting

As a new member of this forum, I want to thank the members for the directions on correcting the lighting in the climate control system. I went through the procedure, and it worked great .....for a month. However after experiencing a shorted directional light and socket problem, a problem occurred. The control unit continues to light up properly when you open the passenger door, and when you inset the key into the ignition. However the minute you engage the key to start the engine , and with the engine running, the button and **** backlighting go out, and stay our until the engine is stopped. Does anyone have any suggestions where to look to trace the problem. All the backlights work, just not with the engine running. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:30 AM
sansbup
Cruising

I just started using the forum again after 7 years without a vette. I retired to France (Normandy) and I have a beautiful yellow C5 again, however the aircon display faded to nothing soon after buying. With google's help I found this thread and hey presto, even with my shaky fat fingers I managed to do this repair.

One suggestion for the clumsier solderers amongst us is to go down one side of all the resistors adding a tiny bit of solder, then walk away and have a cup of coffee. Then go back and do the other side. That way the resistors are less likely to completely dislodge and you then don't have the challenge of holding them in place with one hand and soldering with the other. I made that mistake and it's tricky with shaky hands!

Anyway, thanks guys for another great repair tip.

Quick Reply: C5 Climate Control dim/dark display fix